Riparium - 20 Gallon High Codename: Charley Crick - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Cool Riparium - 20 Gallon High Codename: Charley Crick

Look what I got in the mail today! Hydrophyte is awesome, so far he has put up with my million and one questions and not batted an eyelash. That, or he is good at faking patience.

Needless to say, I am not prepared. I was so excited to receive the package, I forgot to take pictures of the plants outside of the tank. This is the result of poor planning and fast shipping:

I panicked and threw a sock down to mop up the mess, no joke. Look in the corner. The water level is still too high for my plans, but I at least got it started. My water level is reversed. I measured 5.75 inches down instead of up. I didn't even realize my error until I uploaded the pictures on photobucket. No wonder the plants look squished. Hydrophyte and Hoppy make this look so easy.

Well, there it is: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. I'll post more tomorrow. I really wanted to get this started, get the plants in the water, and show a little progress.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Ah, one more person got their feet wet with ripariums!

Wait, that didn't come out quite right. I mean, good that we have one more person learning about ripariums and about to enjoy the fun of tending one. Good luck! When I set up my 15H I was all thumbs, and not green ones either.

Hoppy
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey that looks like a good start. That Coralife lamp ought to shine bright enough. Those Marsilea could be an excellent underwater foreground. Are you going to keep them in there? It looks like it's nice and humid inside, which will be good for those fresh Hyptis cuttings while they develop some roots.

Do you have ideas about livestock? I think I see a couple of red spots that might be RCS.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Ah, one more person got their feet wet with ripariums!

Wait, that didn't come out quite right. I mean, good that we have one more person learning about ripariums and about to enjoy the fun of tending one. Good luck! When I set up my 15H I was all thumbs, and not green ones either.
I am really excited about this project, especially learning a riparium is roughly a 'river basin.' Since I grew up on the Ohio River surrounded by creeks this was a perfect project for me.

I am not glad, but am glad I am not the only one who has struggled with this. I am honestly discouraged by my lack of ability. I figure I'll just copy your guys' until I get a feel for it.

By the way, thanks for the good luck wishes. Looks like I am going to need it.....my floor is still soaked and I got water all over me trying to stop the siphon from sucking up a baby CPD (Celestial Pearl Danio - for those who don't know the acronym). I hope I didn't get any fry on the floor. On the plus side, I tried counting all of them and started counting more than I thought I had.

I had to stop for the evening due to the huge mess I was forced to clean up and the fact I kept slipping on the floor. Safety first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey that looks like a good start. That Coralife lamp ought to shine bright enough. Those Marsilea could be an excellent underwater foreground. Are you going to keep them in there? It looks like it's nice and humid in there, which will be good for those fresh Hyptis cuttings while they develop some roots.

Do you have ideas about livestock? Are there any fish in there already? I think I see a couple of red spots that might be RCS(?).
Thanks, hydrophyte. I linked your journal above, I hope you don't mind. I noticed a strange smell when I went into the room later. It is like a green house, clean smell. Is it possible that is the plants? If so, I like it.

I think the red you are seeing is either the heater knob (why do they make the 'stealth' heater with a bright red knob??) or red ramshorns. So far, there are CPD fry and ramshorns/pond snails. I have plans to put back the ottos I moved out this morning to another tank to help with some serious diatoms. I was thinking I might use danios, minnows, female feeder guppies or keep CPDs in the tank. That, or I am going to use just cherry red shrimp. Any suggestions? At first, I am leaving the CPDs until they are older, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Those Hyptis are very nice. Once I get this settled, you're going to have to help me identify the plants you sent me. There are so many species. I am still trying to figure out the trellis situation. Can I set a plant on it, or does the plant have to be placed in the planter?

The Marselia is staying. What I like about this......[time to scroll forward to avoid the reminiscent story].........is the fact my Great Aunt, Great Grandma, Grandma and Grandpa and I used to spend hours in the garden and outdoors. My aunt would be working, would randomly stop in a field of clover and pick out the four leaf clover. EVERYTIME! I never found one in the years I looked for them until I got this marselia sp.

This particular sp. randomly shoots up a four leaf every once and a while and I feel so warm and fuzzy thinking of my time living with my grandparents. Hence the name of the journal, Charley Crick. Not how it's spelled, but how it's pronounced. [/end childhood story]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I enjoyed the backstory for the ferns and the tank name.

Those Hyptis cuttings should be planted right on the Nano Trellis Raft with their bases down in the water. That should be related in the product instructions. Basically, you just insert the stem between the raft and the insert and that is what holds the stem up. If the stem is fatter than the notch in the insert then you can enlarge it a little bit by cutting out a small amount with a sharp blade.

Polygonum would be great in there. To start those emersed in the planters you can plant several stems in a cup, then raise the cup so that the top is just below the water surface. The stems there will be compelled to start growing emersed. Emersed Polygonum does not like to be pruned. If you take more than 1/3 or so from a stem it will die.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I enjoyed the backstory for the ferns and the tank name.

Those Hyptis cuttings should be planted right on the Nano Trellis Raft with their bases down in the water. That should be related in the product instructions. Basically, you just insert the stem between the raft and the insert and that is what holds the stem up. If the stem is fatter than the notch in the insert then you can enlarge it a little bit by cutting out a small amount with a sharp blade.

Polygonum would be great in there. To start those emersed in the planters you can plant several stems in a cup, then raise the cup so that the top is just below the water surface. The stems there will be compelled to start growing emersed. Emersed Polygonum does not like to be pruned. If you take more than 1/3 or so from a stem it will die.
See who didn't read there instructions before jumping right in...... Thanks for telling me what to do that I clearly could have read. My husband would have thrown the book at me and said "read it yourself."

Thanks for the tip on the emersed cutting of the Polygonum. I have some just about to break surface on the 55. I was thinking about letting them emerse themselves and using those cuttings. How many do you put in a planter?

I'm going to read them tonight, I promise.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Those Polygonum are attractive, but spindly. I would put 5 or 6 stems in the cup.

That's another plant that might benefit from some mineralized topsoil in the planter cup.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
nice! put a frog in there.. you know you want to.

whoops. just read you have fry in there.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Hey, a frog sounds like a plan for the future. I wonder if they sell them still around here..... Guess what? I read my instruction pamphlets! Great stuff in there. Like how to set them up and everything. Would have been an idea to read these yesterday, lol.

I am trying to get my husband help me cut the wood for the other stand so I can really get some progress going. But he wants to spend time on his hobbies! How dare him, lol.

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I linked both of those from the website too...

Instructions, Nano Trellis Raft

Instructions, Small Hanging Planter

You know a couple of other plants that you might watch out for are Bacopa monnieri and Ludwigia repens. Those make real nice floating mats if rooted in the hanging planter, then trained to grow across the raft. You should be able to grow these pretty well that way because you have pretty bright light--the brighter the light the more bushy they grow.

A frog might trash your riparium in a few minutes. Fish & shrimp really are the best kinds of animals to keep in ripariums.

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah, A frog was the thing me and Hydro were talking about NOT getting, LOL. Really cool tank Sewingalot!! I really, really, really, can't wait to get mine going, but I'm so nervous though as I still need the T8's free & I don't have a T5 Fixture yet for the 29gal [planted, not that riparium...though...].

Ugh, I need to be patient or else I'm going to end up killing plants. BTW, my impatience *ALMOST* bought me a new computer today...but HA! I mastered it! LOL
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Duly noted on the frog demon and hydrophyte. I'd probably forget to feed it and find it on the floor looking for one of the many crickets we have. I am sticking with the fry at the moment due to lack of a cycled aquarium to put them in. I started working on the trellis rafts. Thanks for the handy links, Hydro. Everyone that's not familiar with your stuff can follow along that way. Well, the stand is built. I just need to paint it and set it up. Hopefully, I'll have photos tomorrow or Monday.

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Really can't wait to see more photos of this one, grown in & complete! I like how you have the Salvina up top too. Very cool!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
I ♥ BBA!

Thanks. I have a few more pictures. Not a lot of progress since I am waiting for the stand to cure that is going to hold a couple tanks so I can move this one and properly set it up.

One pleasant surprise, most of the algae on the glass is gone! I cleaned it. You thought I was going to say it magically disappeared, didn't you?

Some of the victims from yesterday's mishap. I was able to rescue one little stem of this, it has only two little leaves, but was still alive(to read more - I posted this at the lounge):

On the bright side, look at this new growth!

Any suggestions on how to take pictures without so much glare? Above water picture taking is hard!

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Talking

I really like it, but is think it could use some driftwood. But thats just me! How do you keep it so humid in there? I thought you would say that the algae would 'magicaly disappear,' because its Algae Gnome season!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode