DevinWolfe's 2.5G Office Shrimp Tank *Baby Time?* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
DevinWolfe's 2.5G Office Shrimp Tank *Baby Time?*

This is my new 2.5G shrimp-only tank that I keep next to my 10G tank at the office:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ffice-10g.html

I plan to eventually move some adults over to the 10G once they're big enough that the Cardinals won't bother them. I am hoping to get them to breed in this tank, but have zero experience in doing so.

The driftwood is a perfect fit for this tiny tank. (thanks a lot AzFishKid!) The Java Fern and freshly added Anubias Minia seem to attract a lot of shrimp to their roots.

I should have some moss coming in next week to cover that rock and maybe part of the driftwood. I also have a couple more small rocks that I may experiment with.

Dimensions:
12 x 6 x 8 (standard 2.5G)

Substrate:
Soil Master Select - Charcoal

Lighting:
1 x 15W CF in metal dome fixture

Filtration:
Hagen Elite "Stingray" 5G submersible
added foam to the back so tiny shrimp can't crawl inside

Heater:
Elite 25W

CO2:
None

Ferts:
None

Stock:
25ish Cherry Red Shrimp

"The Rock" - kinds like it uncovered, but i need moss in there

After adding today's stems (perhaps a bit large for this 2.5)

The little guys acclimating (Epicfish sells AWESOME shrimp, not one DOA)

Some of the little guys hanging out under the fern and driftwood

FTS

From above

So far I really like the shrimp, now I just have to hope I don't screw this up.

<Insert epic signature here>

~Devin

Last edited by DevinWolfe; 11-05-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking good!
I love these little guys too. I've got over 200 in my 20g and counting.
The plants help will water quality but you need to keep up on water changes especially with that type of filter. 20% a week. I dose ferts but only Seachem Potasium and Phosphorus. Just about anything else I look at contains copper which is bad.
Happy Shrimping.

P.S. Depending what the weather around there is like you may want to add a small heater. keeping the tank in the 77degree mark helps the eggs mature a bit faster.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I will have to check into the heater, most I have come across are way too big for this size tank. I plan to do 50% water changes when I do my 10G every week.

I received my moss (thanks Chase127) and added some to the rock and the driftwood.

FTS before moss

Rock after moss

FTS after moss

Both tanks (planted 10G)

Shrimp munching on a sinking wafer

I picked up some liquid iodine yesterday. The bottle read that it is for marine (reef) use and is 15,000 PPM. That is quite high compared to other concentrations we dose (ferts.) So, how would one go about using this safely?

~Devin

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
very nice

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
No iodine is necessary..

Freshwater dwarf shrimp do not need it.

Make sure the intake of your filter is covered with foam or a sponge to prevent fry from dying in it.

A heater is recommend to keep the temperature of the tank 76-82 F

Any fertilizers with copper will kill the shrimp, and dose half the recommend amount.

Also, for Co2, I recommend SeaChem Flourish excel and dose bi weekly.

In conclusion, I do not recommend putting any of the shrimp into your larger tank because even the fish are not large enough to eat these critters, the will harass them and once the get the taste for shrimp by accidentally eating a leg, your shrimp will eventually die from stress.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
not to undercut RcScRs, but i don't really see a problem with putting shrimp in with cardinals. I have kept cherries with neons and cardinals, and have had no problem. As long as you give the shrimp somewhere to go hide if a fish is harassing them, and some cover so that they don't stick out like sore thumbs, they won't be stressed out. I've seen shrimp eating off the same algae wafer as cardinals and neons without even flinching. They were both just happy to be getting food (that wasn't each other).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
not to undercut RcScRs, but i don't really see a problem with putting shrimp in with cardinals. I have kept cherries with neons and cardinals, and have had no problem. As long as you give the shrimp somewhere to go hide if a fish is harassing them, and some cover so that they don't stick out like sore thumbs, they won't be stressed out. I've seen shrimp eating off the same algae wafer as cardinals and neons without even flinching. They were both just happy to be getting food (that wasn't each other).
However, the fry of red cherries are so small, they will easily become food for the tetras...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Some may get eaten, but i've never had issues creating a good size colony even with neon and cardinal tetras in the tank (and white cloud mountain minnows as well). As long as the tetras aren't starving, the shrimp on the substrate are virtually invisible to them. I saw baby cherries (1/8" long) eating off the same algae wafer as my neons two hours ago at feeding time. May my neons be eating some of them? Maybe. Do i notice it in the population size? Not one bit. The only time my fish take interest in the shrimp are when they swim around the middle of the tank. As long as the shrimp stay in the bottom 4" or on something solid, the tetras seem to ignore them. One caveat to the above statements is that i have plenty of hiding room for the shrimp. There is a pile of rocks and wood that is too small for any of my fish to squeeze into, so my shrimp can live inside there without being perturbed. I found that the babies stay in that area until they are about 3/16" or so, and then they get a little braver and go out into the tank at-large.

@OP: If you're a gambling person, take a few shrimp and put them in. See if your fish take interest in them. If they do, never put shrimp in there again, but if the shrimp are still around in a week or so, it's probably safe to put a few more shrimp in to try to establish a colony.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a filter sponge cut over the Duetto to keep babies out.

The idea for this tank was to be shrimp-only and then once I get several full-grown adults and get a colony going then I will start moving only the biggest to the 10G. This tank will be the colony tank, the 10G will just have a few for the community.

~Devin
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I added a black background. The shrimp seem to be growing so fast! Hopefully they will start breeding soon!

~Devin
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Today while siphoning out some uneaten algae wafer I noticed that some of the shrimp had lighter areas on their backs and a few even had swollen lump on their underside.

I have never bread shrimp before so I have never seen saddled and berried shrimp first-hand, but from the pics I have seen they seem to be very similar.

What do you guys think? Are they breeding already or am I getting excited over nothing?

Saddled (?)

Berried (?) this one wouldn't slow down, so I snapped a few shots hoping at least one would give enough detail to someone who can tell.

~Devin
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
You are correct. The first has a saddle and the second is pregnant. Soon you'll have baby shrimplets swimming around. Since the female shrimps have yet to give birth, they may drop their eggs for the first time. Don't worry, as this does happen and usually the second time the females know what to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode