first tank planted 29g suggestions and input welcome - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first tank planted 29g suggestions and input welcome

Alright so my tank is around two weeks old. had a rough start i rearranged and added and changed everything like three times until finally letting it be. partly was because i pieced things together and probably started a little to soon. I am learning to be patient.

I have did not any pictures during the beginning i just started using my roommates camera he is starting a 10 saltwater nano. so its interesting to see each others progress.

As of now i have a 96 watts of light provided by two current usa nova fixtures. 2 10000k bulbs and 2 bulbs that are a pinkish color for red spectrum

A diy co2 system. consisting of a 2-liter, some tubing, sealant, and an airstone placed under my intake. I did have this running through a powerhead and it seemed to work better, but it was to big and an eyesore so i took it out. does any one feel that a glass difusser placed under the intake will work slightly better?

substrate is a mix of 40 lbs eco mixed with 20 lbs super fine river gravel. i did not mean to mix the two does anyone think wil affect the benefits of the eco? on top of that is black gravel which i dont know if i like anymore. upfront is a 10 lb bag of natural sand that my lfs had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3054.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	15718  

Name:	DSCF3016.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	15719  

Name:	DSCF3043.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	15720  

Name:	DSCF3017.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	15721  

Name:	DSCF3042.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	15722  

Last edited by tolson83; 10-16-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

inhabitants

yesterday oct 14, 2009 i add three otto's and two black yucatan mollys. i got the mollies to try and cure my surface film problem. the addition of them and changing my filter set up (intake and outtake on same side with spray bar) the water lettuce elegantly moves across the surface prevent film build up as well. all the fish seems happy and lively even the ottos which i have had in the past only stayed in one spot and hid. i lost one otto becaue i forgot to put the filter tube grate back on and he got sucked to the tube. its unfortunate. ill buy three more tomorrow for a total of five.

I also plan to get two mickey mouse platies (maybe) a large number of a smalling schooling fish. tetra, rasbora... havent decided. i want one larger center piece fish. i was thinking a larger opaline gourami or blue gourami (would these be aggressive?) and possibly a german blue ram.

i have been feeding the mollies algae wafers once a day broken up. they drag the pieces behind the bunched plants in a little tunnels they have found and eat. the ottos are just taking care of the algae i had all over my back wall due to lights being on to long.

if you look at the picture with the otto lightly above the fish is a small jelly sack that appeared on my glass it is clear. possibly snail eggs? i feel i should start to battle my snails they have went from 4 to 8 to 12 or more in just a few days
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3032.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	15723  

Name:	DSCF3057.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	15724  

Name:	DSCF3027.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	15725  

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anubis

out of all the plants in my tank the one that has grown the least is my anubis nana. in all the set ups i have tried it has never been buried in the substrate but its been in tight spots. should it start to grow loosly placed under that piece of driftwood? it already looks greener than it has

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plant List

10/16/2009

i would like to list the plants that i know of one plant however i need assistance on naming.

1. Anubis Barteri 'Nana'
2. Cabomba Caroliniana (Carolina Fanwort)
3. Brazilian Micro Sword or Lilaeopsis Macloviana (the grass plant in the sand it might not be either of these two i need assistance it was a potted plant labled mico sword)
4. Lindernia Rotundifolia (baby tears)
5. Ludwiga Repens (Red Ludwiga)
6. Pistia Stratiotes (Water Lettuce)
7. Rotala Rotundifolia
8. Rotala Wallichii
9. Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf Sagittaria)
10. Taxiphyllum barbreri (Java Moss)

i need help with the grass type plant in the sand as well as the plant to the far right...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

also i need identification of the plant that is in the second picture of the molly it was turning red but all the new growth from being in my tank is green on top its on the left side next to the cabomba
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Looks like you have a good start. I like that black molly.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Wow very nice...can't wait to see it fill in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

coltonorr i see you have hygro augustofolia i have had no luck with it... tried it twice. both times the leaves began to yellow at the tips. possibly an iron deficiency?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wish you would post the pictures in the thread, for have to switch pages a lot to view the attachments. I do it by uploading pictures to flicker, click on all sizes, and copy the location. Then click on the square above with the mountain and paste the location.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Very nice start indeed. I like how you scaped it. One thing I'd recommend is to separate all those stem plants into individual stems and plant them individually. This will encourage growth/bushing and also it will help prevent stem rot at the base where they are all bunched together.

|
|
|
|
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is the Dwarf Sag in the front left? Had some of that back when I had NO idea what I was doing, curious to see where it goes in your tank.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks all for the input...

Hilde-i did not know my pictures were set as attachments when i view the thread they are in the thread i will do exactly what you stated to do when i next take pictures

speedie- i actually went back after those pictures and removed all the flexible weights around the stems and loosened them up a little i might go back and do it a little more actually.

drinktheyeatmix- it is dwarf sag in the front left... lately a few leaves have been dying on me so i pulled them off... i think it is do to replanting it when i rescaped also i feel im not getting good co2 absorbtion through my current setup i am reinstalling my powerhead tonight and running the co2 through that

also on 10/17/2009 i purchased some Gold Nesea which i think adds good color to the tank and some of the other plants are filling in a bit. i have observed growth on all plants except the dwarf sag and the anubis nana...

i have read that too deep of a substrate can be harmful. mine is around 4 or 5 inches of mixed eco and fine river gravel will this impose problems in the future. are thier snails or anything else i can do to "sift" my substrate i heard trumpet snails maybe?

additionally i have added two gold gouramis which so far have great personallity and are very peaceful with the mollies.. at first the mollies hid in the plants but now all four swim together at times. im still looking to add a good schooling fish once the tank develops a little more and possibly a german blue ram or opaline gourami. i really enjoy the personality of gouramis
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson83 View Post
i have read that too deep of a substrate can be harmful. mine is around 4 or 5 inches of mixed eco and fine river gravel will this impose problems in the future. are thier snails or anything else i can do to "sift" my substrate i heard trumpet snails maybe?
You can just poke in the sand with a knife to release bubbles. It takes a long time for it to go bad. Some add trumpet snails and regret. For sometimes the snails over populate. I believe that happens in hard water. For I have soft water and the growth of snails is slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolson83 View Post
I'm still looking to add a good schooling fish
Good schooling fish are the Rummynose Tetra, Silver Tipped Tetra Blood Finned Tetras, Danios and Celestrial Pearl Danios.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
A nice pair of tweezers and scissors go a long way in planted tanks if you don't have either yet. I never put mine away.

|
|
|
|
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I wish you would post the pictures in the thread, for have to switch pages a lot to view the attachments. I do it by uploading pictures to flicker, click on all sizes, and copy the location. Then click on the square above with the mountain and paste the location.
I have no trouble viewing the attachments. They should show up in the thread just like pictures that are hosted at another site

The problem is on your end, not his.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode