My first planted tank 75g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first planted tank 75g

OK, I've had aquariums for about 38years now, but for the last 25 I've been all about SW, and reefs for the last 5 yrs, and this is my first planted.
Like many, I've come into this a little reckless and random, so I decided to join this sight for advice, photo log/documentation, and hopefully less headaches!
Any opinions/guidance appreciated
Tank is 75g, w/ 4xT5 lights(nova) and Fluval 304 and eco-complete sub.
No C02 as of yet, that may change.
I had this running about 6mo w/ a mixed substrate that didn't look appealing, so just switched to the eco yesterday.
This is tank today, still a lil cloudy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Congratulations, that tank looks damn good for a first, and especially knowing that it's been alive for 6 months! Good job! That's one nice, low-tech tank, and it just goes to show that you don't need CO2 for a nice looking tank.

Just a little constructive criticism, now... I think the hardscape could use a little rearranging. Right now you almost have the rocks on the left and the wood on the right looking a little too symmetrical. They are almost identically placed on their respective sides of the tank. I think you should try to incorporate the rocks into the driftwood layout, and then place it all a little off-center (in the way that people who follow the "golden ratio" do it).

Still, great job, and it looks fine the way it is. The fish look happy!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, need to read up on golden ratio.
The plants you see there are about a quarter of what I actually have, thinned way down, that Val grows like crazy.
Only issues are a recent slight bloom of what looks like some hair algae, but not so bad I can't pick out manually.
I'll be adding otto's to help w/ that, maybe a dwarf pleco(emporer, starrynight, maybe queen though I'm not sure if thats a dwarf)
Does flow affect algae issues, and is a 304 enough for a 75g?
Also, having 4x54w T5's for light, would that be considered med or heavy light?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, wow, I missed that before. You have high light, and you really should have a CO2 setup for that.

Does it have 2 banks, where you can turn off 2 lamps and keep the others on? If not, I think you might eventually have a bad algae problem over time. I really can't say for sure. Amano shrimp might help out with the hair algae, but otos tend to gravitate toward the brown diatoms. But there's lots of other kinds that no one's gonna eat, and it will look nasty.

As far as your filtration, I don't know much about Fluval canisters, so I can't speak on that.

Seriously, get yourself a CO2 setup. Green Leaf Aquariums (a site sponsor) has awesome, low-cost kits that include the tank. And you definitely have at least one business in town that'll fill it for you. It's the best investment you'll ever make, seriously.

And while you're at it, don't forget to order some ferts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes, it has 2 seperate switches, but seems low lit on just 2 bulbs(though I'm used to my heavy lit reefs)
I originally set this up as low maint, since my reefs are a bit involved, but I'm starting to think I may have to adjust my plan.
My sub is eco, 2-5" deep, and I use flourish excel, and API leafzone.
I also have vortech mp10 that I could add for more flow if needed.

120G mixed reef, 17G planted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, just use the 2 bulbs for now until you get CO2. Trust me on that one! I'm sure other people will chime in and agree. I came from reef tanks, too, so I understand what you mean when you say it seems dimly lit. But dude, 108w of high output T5 lighting is already putting you up in the lowish-medium light category. 216w is just waaaay too much for a non-CO2 tank.

It's perfect for a CO2 injected tank, though!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank! Love the jungle vals.

I agree that you're going to have algae trouble with that much light...

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lol, oh boy, this tank is going to suck me in, I can see it now!
Nothing like gear suggestions in these addictive hobbies, and I'm weak to resist.
So, I shut off one bank last night, and after a bit got used to lower light.
I just need to switch bulbs around.
I'm using Currents FW bulbs, 2x daylight, and 2x pink.
I think 1x pink and 1x day will appease me.
When I get C02, I'll hit both back on maybe.
So, in listening to Church's advice, how would you go about shifting scape a lil while all is wet and running, and what would you suggest?
I could just add a couple small rocks by driftwood, but I'm trying not to be too cluttered as well.
Thoughts?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, so a slight update, I moved/added a couple small rocks to balance things out a lil, still not sure if I'm happy w/ this, may add a small rock ledge in center(mainly for my new pleco) or may redo alltogether, and place all to the right, and open on left.
Thoughts?
Also, I did drop to just 2 bulbs on my 4x T5, and added a fluval 405.
Oh, and here's my new peppermint pleco too.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
Very green! I like it. Are you going to put anything in the foreground?

(torn down)
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I have 2 variations of micro sword in there still in baskets, trying to decide if I'm sticking w/ this layout before I plant them.
I just saw a similar layout that did look real nice w/ a little more color(some red) and foreground growth, so I may stick w/ this.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lol, that was your tank I was looking at!

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
Hehe. I kinda like the all green look. Maybe just a few very red plants would create a nice contrast.

(torn down)
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, I am liking the black and green for now, but I'm hoping the black will disappear w/ plant growth, so I expect the need for some color contrast.
I just got back from rock hunting, found a couple nice pieces, so I'm going to change this a little, and see if I can make this flow w/out tearing it all apart.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, I think I'm happy w/ this.
Feel free to give comments/opinions

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode