Noob w/ a 10g & pics - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Noob w/ a 10g & pics

This is my 1st attempt at a planted tank and wanted to try "low tech". I used to have a 29gal when I was little with the plastic plants, etc. Still have the 29gal but I'm slowly working on making it a vivarium for PFDs or Mantellas. Also have a 20gal long setup for FBTs.
Anyways, been trying to do as much reading/research as I can. This 10gal has been running for almost a month. Yesterday I planted a little heavier and started dosing Excel & ferts. My first go around with plants & no excel didn't turn out well.
Aquaclear 20
50w heater
10w x2 spiral CFLs 6500k
Flourite substrate
Anacharis x2 (you can see my 1st attempt at that in the stunted short bunch)
Wisteria (also struggling from original planting)
Broadleaf Ludwigia x2
Jungle Val x2
Banana Plant
Pygmy Cory x2
Oto x2

You can see the Corys in this last one.
Need to find some nice foreground plants and eventually take out the Anacharis. Not really any good fish shops around here anymore for plant selection besides the big chains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
It looks like you're off to a great start I'm a huge fan of Ludwigia Repens

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good! Be careful with excel and vals. I had a really big jungle val that did great with the recommended dosage of excel but when i started double dosing it melted in less than 3 days. Also, Keep an eye on that heater you have. I used to have the same one and it stuck on maximum heat after about 6 months. I came home one day and my tank was nearly 88*F! Luckily, i didn't lose any fish from it. Good luck with your tank!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
The vals will outgrow that tank soon. Ill bet you end up ripping them out. Also the question I have is about substrate. Is that aquarium gravel. What is that? When I first started out with planted tanks years ago, I lever had much luck with inert aquarium gravel.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog1 View Post
Also the question I have is about substrate. Is that aquarium gravel. What is that? When I first started out with planted tanks years ago, I lever had much luck with inert aquarium gravel.
He mentions flourite, though there appears from the photo that there's gravel onto top.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's all flourite substrate. Dunno about the Val yet. Bought it to hide the heater mainly, so actually hoping it grows thicker and I'll cut back the longer ones. Also like how it skims the surface of the water and sways with the filter outflow.
Still unsure about that rock, trying to find a decent sized piece of DW to attach some ferns & nanas and rescape once I know the dosing regime is working.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Love the colors of the plants.

If you just want a few foreground plants check out Ebay and look for deals where the shipping is free.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
lol thats a nice little banana plant. my plant...has a leaf thats more than 14" in length...it jus keeps on growing and growing. My tank is also a 10 gallon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Small pic update.

All the Anacharis melted but I wasn't too fond of that anyways. The Ludwigia dropped most of the lower leaves and some stems are soft & blackening so I'll more than likely loose those eventually. The Wisteria pretty much melted as well, started some new growth at the base of the plant but it hasn't grown even though it's sending roots out all over. I'll eventually have to figure out some new backgroung plants I guess.
Moved some things around, added the wood, some Java Ferns, another Banana Plant, some Micro Sword, and a Corkscrew Val (near the Jungle Vals). One of the Jungle Vals has sent a runner and has 3 new stems going. Also added some Neon Tetras.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode