Being this is the second post (first update post) and the first update is in the first post (journal post), I'm going to forgo the update and just give you some background information and history.
Well, I've had this tank up and running since late last November and it's gone through lots of changes since then, mostly recently, and I have lots of questions and could probably use lots of advice, so I'm going to start a journal here in hopes that being able to follow the tank, people can give me some good advice. The advice I'm looking for is ANYTHING. Anything anyone thinks would help the tank physically, chemically, aesthetically, what have you. I'm totally open to everything.
I recently restarted taking pictures of this tank every week, so I guess I'll start by sharing those pictures and the comments from my gallery I have for them (with the comments, keep in mind my family and friends, not familiar with tank terminology, also view the gallery). Feel free to also check out the gallery
I have for it and leave comments if you so choose.
August 31, 2009
Recently had a lot of my crypts shrivel up and die on me. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the bulb in my light fixture is needing replacement. Good thing I'm looking forward to doubling the watts over the tank and adding CO2 injection sometime in the (hopefully) near future!
It was decided not to double the watts and, instead, get an Eheim in place of two AC50s.
September 7, 2009
Used a different camera this time because my Tour was being lame. Anyway, nothing new happening. I ordered all the stuff for a massive upgrade and should be getting it all this week. The tank should change quite dramatically over the next 2 months or so.
September 14, 2009
Well, there's definitely some noticeable growth here, and the reason for that is that I ghetto-rigged the CO2 line into the filter intake so it would take the bubbles of CO2 and chop them up into tiny little bubbles. It seems to be working, along with the new light bulb, 'cause things are growing and I'm noticing lots of bubbling plants. YAY! Tomorrow, I get the last of my shipments and there'll be no more ghettoness!
September 21, 2009
Big changes this week! Swapped out the two AC50s for an Eheim Pro II 2026, the stealth 150w for a Hydor ETH 200w inline, added CO2 injection via an inline homemade CO2 reactor. The growth is already evident in just a week's time. I imagine it's going to be explosive in the relatively near future.
September 28, 2009
Crappy quality picture? No, I have green water! Ugh! Don't know if it's due to the tank adjusting to all the changes, or if it's due to all the new bio-media in the new filter, or if it's due to a nutrient imbalance, but I'm suspicious of the latter. I'm ordering a CO2 drop checker from GreenLeafAquariums.com (BEST supplier of CO2 systems and such, by the way). That should help me rule out the possibility of too little or too much CO2 in the water. From there, we'll have to see. Aside from the green water, the tank is doing FANTASTIC. Through all the crappy water, you can still see how much the plants, moneywort especially, have grown. All the bright green at the top of the moneywort is brand new growth from within the last two or three weeks. Spectacular. All of the bubbles you can see in the photo are actually from the plants photosynthesizing. It's called "pearling" and they're doing it like crazy, despite the green water cutting some of their light. The bubbles you can see in the photo are probably a quarter of the bubbles you can see in person. Once I get the green water under control, I think I'll start hacking away at some of the moneywort and letting it grow anew to eliminate the dirty leaves. Stay tuned, the next month or so should be pretty interesting!
October 5, 2009
Obviously, the green water is still plaguing me. It's actually gotten much worse. Yesterday was about a 90-95% water change, and it's still that green. I did just get my GreenLeafAquariums drop checker, and I was injecting way too little CO2, so maybe it'll improve. I also changed the spray bar configuration yet again to increase the speed the water comes out of it, but that meant that I also lost the surface agitation. The negative side of this is that I'm now getting a proteinous buildup on the surface, which cuts light to the plants. So, now, I'm planning on buying a surface skimmer, but I'm going to head over to plantedtank.net for some input on that. Same as last week, I'm still planning on slowly starting to chop the moneywort once I get a hold on the green water. This stuff is growing out of control, starting to bend over at the surface. I'm looking forward to that, it should make a significant difference.