Church's 10g Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Church's 10g Project

I just planted and filled it yesterday. I'm currently using an Aquaclear HOB while I wait for a chance to order a new disconnect for the Eheim. CO2 hasn't even been set up yet. As you can see, the glass is still dirty and the water's a bit cloudy.

I'm using re-reused Eco-Complete that is now going on its 3rd tank. I basically cleaned it like you would Fluorite or 3MCQ. So it doesn't have any of the original nutrients it had out of the bag. But after draining the last tank, and scooping it all out, there was a lovely puddle of gooey organic matter (snail poop and mulm?) that I collected and applied as my thin bottom layer on the new tank.

So I'm starting with a little bit of organic goodness in there to get things going.

Stay tuned for better pics after things are all cycled and the CO2 is going. I'm not sure yet what I'll be stocking the tank with just yet, but I'm open to suggestion. Maybe some killies?

Last edited by Church; 10-18-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Neat. I like the idea of stocking with killies. It seems they are almost ever used for planted tanks, but there are a number of them that ought to be suitable.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Are killies known to be jumpers?
Church that is a NICE stand!!

and the HOB actually doesn't bother me.. it looks pretty flush to the rim of the tank

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL the stand is one of those Big Al's Stingray stands, so I can't take any credit for it other than taking a chance on ordering one. It is a good stand, though. I also have one under my 45g (the 36" version, of course!).

About the killies, yes I'm starting to see that killies are jumpers, so I don't know how that's going to work out. Although, the lampeye killies are promising. Anyone know if lampeyes are jumpers? How many could I put in a 10g?
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What light are you using? Using ferts or injecting Co2?
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

-40w Current Satellite, with dual-daylight bulb
-EI dosing
-Pressurized CO2

My camera is dead right now, so is the spare battery, and I can't locate the AC adapter at the moment... otherwise I'd take pictures and show off to everyone how the microsword is actually TAKING OFF!!!

It's only been 5 days or something like that, and the microsword is spreading! This defies all that I've learned about this plant from past experience... it always takes a real long to get established and start spreading. Everyone seems to agree on this!

Well, with this tank I decided to try something new and actually be delicate with the planting process, and so far it seems to have made a difference. What I did this time was I made sure to ONLY use potted microsword that I personally and meticulously removed from the stonewool, then I painstakingly cut sections of rosette that contain anywhere from 1 to 4 blades of grass or so. I then planted them in the UNFILLED tank, nice and deeply, but gently. Then I laid some newspaper on top of the substrate and filled the tank up!

Now, 5 days later, it's spreading like wildfire!
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Neat. I like the idea of stocking with killies. It seems they are almost ever used for planted tanks, but there are a number of them that ought to be suitable.

Killies are not common because they are top level dwellers and they like to jump.

Clown Killies are beautiful fish but too expensive to have them all jump!!

edit-- didn't read church's post on killies lol
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm still considering lampeyes, even if it means I have to put a glass lid on the tank. Still not sure if they're jumpers. What other slightly unusual fish are there that would be comfortable in a 10g and still have somewhat of a schooling behavior? Anyone?
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This pic is from a few days back, so it's not new, but I just realized I never posted it. Nothing much, but the glass is clean, the CO2 is on, and I've added a few stems. On the left in front of the big rocks is a bunch of L. aromatica, and in the back right is a small bunch of L. arcuata. These are not meant to be permanent. Just growing them out in the high CO2.

I still need to find my AC adapter to charge the batteries on my camera, so I can take a few new pics and show the microsword growth! It's the fastest I've ever seen lilaeopsis grow...
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have you considered a brackish-water tank with Bumblebee Gobies? Congrats on you Guru status by the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have considered that before, actually, just not for this tank. I don't think lilaeopsis would grow very well (if at all?) in brackish water.

But I do plan on doing a brackish tank eventually. That's one type of tank I've never done before. And thanks for the congrats!
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's look'n good Church. I look forward to more pictures.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, since you asked, I can post a few quick, overexposed, cell phone pics! They're pretty crappy, and you can't even see how the microsword is spreading, but they're pics nonetheless...

FTS:

Look how big the L. aromatica has gotten (each stem was only about an inch tall when I put them in):

And here you can see my stunted L. arcuata (I don't know what happened?):

I'm so sick of not being able to find my battery charger for my camera, so I guess I'm going to have to go out this weekend and buy a new one. When I do, I'll take some real pictures.

Thanks for looking.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
I don't think lilaeopsis would grow very well (if at all?) in brackish water.
You might be wrong about that. Most of the information I found states hard water is not an issue for lilaeopsis.

Roll Your Own.

Last edited by tug; 10-17-2009 at 03:09 AM.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
What other slightly unusual fish are there that would be comfortable in a 10g and still have somewhat of a schooling behavior?
Since I am planning to downgrade to a 10 gallon tank next year I have been searching for schooling fish suitable for a 10 gallon tank.

The lameye killifish I saw on You Tube school. There is one that is a shimmering gold. Then there are also the Celestrial Pearl Danios and Pencilfish.

I called Westside Aquarium, since I am planning to move to Tampa area, and he said he could get some pencilfish. Have you been to Westside Aquarium store? It is at3409 S Dale Mabry Hwy Tampa, FL 33629. The phone number is (813) 839-4751‎

The L. aromatica looks like it needs more iron to bring out the colors in it.

Last edited by Hilde; 10-17-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode