Demonbreedr's 55gal Low Tech Community - Setup 3/08 - Terminating... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Demonbreedr's 55gal Low Tech Community - Setup 3/08 - Terminating...

Now:

This tank is setup for fancy goldfish, danios, longfinned skirted/serpae tetras, and others who are cool water.

It's my only cool water tank[heater stays at 76 degrees[heater is removed when weather is warmer]] and will have goldfish who can co-exist with plants just fine [except for finer leaved stuff] and has inert gravel with eventually a new light...possibly T5.

The fish of this tank are [as of 4/17/10]
-

Original post:

This is my 55gal tank that is a constant work in progress! It was originally setup for Fancy Goldfish in March of 2008 but when they got sick, I moved them to the 250gal Pond to live out their lives[where they got better and lived for several more months!]. But anyways, it got torn down and resetup for Tropical fish that needed more room in December of 2008. I've recently changed the gravel and am very proud of how it looks now! There are many plants, but since this tank is more dedicated to the various fish I have/want, my journal is mainly going to focus on the major tank changes, major plant changes/growths and all the fish...

Old Pictures:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/HPIM4407.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/HPIM4460.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...HPIM4463-1.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...HPIM4462-1.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...HPIM4461-1.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/HPIM4080.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/HPIM4106.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...y/HPIM4115.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...History/QT.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...idRainbow2.jpg

Last edited by demonbreedr16; 06-12-2010 at 11:37 PM. Reason: editing fish list/plans/pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Wow, thats quite the community you have there. Tank looks kind of yellow. Do you have soil in the pots?
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
That is quite the fish collection. There are probably people with fish rooms that don't have so many different fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I do like these fish lot but I'm ditching a few when I can...The thing is, this is my random tank...It's like my old 10gal...

I still want to buy and add:
Blue Tetras
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Hi-Fin Serpae Tetras
Red Eye Tetras
Congo Tetras
Lemon Tetras
Keyhole Cichlids [to replace the angels]
Gold Mystery Snail out of 29

Take out:
Angelfish
Clown Plecos
Albino B/N Plecos
Paradise Fish
GW Killi
Bulldog Plec
Kuhlie Loaches [I'm always afraid of squishing them when I move the pots around]

FrostyNYC: No soil...I'm stuck to using Well water which has a yellow-ish tint since the City Water has Chloramines I can't get rid of using any water conditioner.

Last edited by demonbreedr16; 10-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I have a tank like that with lots of plants in pots, but mine is a 40 breeder. I alos keep livebearers in there. The plants include mostly floating-leaf stuff such as an Aponogeton and lotus and a funny Potamogeton. I also have some giant duckweed in there. I like the floating plants and it's neat to have the contrast of different kinds in there.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hydrophyte, I love this tank! It's the easiest tank to take care of...I want a few more plants but then I'm just left with Re-Stocking...

My mom's thinking about getting a 60galHEX and moving the angels...I'm more leaning towards getting rid of them...lol and as an actual update, I added 2 Crypts...
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not much has changed with this tank and everyone is looking good! Here are the pics:

Sorry it's glary...It's worse in real life...that's why I sit and watch it...at night

Attention Craving Rainbows

Albino B/N Pleco next to newly bought rose quartz...

Paradise fish and killifish!

Hope you enjoy!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok...very AWESOME!!! update on this tank!:

I bought:
1x Rose Sword
1x Ruffled Sword

I've been wanting those 2 to complete my collection for quite some time now...and I got them! They are REALLY cool and I can't wait to plant them!
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like the potted plants! It is something you dont see to often. Is the water always yellow\brown? Lookin good!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

EVERYONE comments on my potted plants!! Haha!

Yes, my water is always yellow...not in my 10 but I think that's because that one has activated carbon...When I swap out the P.O.S. HOB Filter, I'm going to start using small amounts of carbon to reduce the tannis...still looks pretty nice though!

----

I'll try to get some pics of the new swords soon, but I got some Angelfish shots...these guys are EXTREMELY predatorial despite the "I'm so innocent" look in there eyes. I know who REALLY ate the Albino Glowlights! LOL

Here they are[White/Silver is Bloke...Black/Brown is Doom...I had a gloom[Marble], but he died a LONG time ago! ]:

PS. My fish group around that corner because that's the place where they get food! Crazed fish....
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/96%)
Send a message via AIM to boltp777
do you ever fed your rainbows live food... guppy fry makes awesome food for them.

42 gallon hex journal coming soon
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No...I've never feed my fish LIVE food. I've given them dead ghost shrimp and dead guppies[tiny]...but never live. I hate feeding fish of any sorts [even fry] to other fish, but I'm considering buying a bag of ghost shrimp to let lose in here. I'm sure they'd like that.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've decided to keep the Kuhlies and just bump ^ the #.

I'm not so sure what I'm going to do with the Paradise Fish [Had for about 1.5 Years now..] or the Gold Wonder Killifish [Had for about 2 Years now..]...oh, and then there are the Angelfish, I want soooooooo bad to get rid of. My mom is really eyeing Apistogrammas which would be awesome, but they would probably hurt the Cories. Ugh...22 Cories in my house... 3 of which are Fry I'VE raised from just little Eggs. One of those three is in my Thriving 2.5gal MiniBow [MY tropical tank...]
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok...My mom has basically given this tank to me. I'm trying to talk her into taking her Diamond & Hi-Fin Black Skirt Tetras [and cories. LOL] for a new 20gL. I think she's only interested because I mentioned Apistogrammas! lol

This 55 and my other 55 will both be community tanks...I'm not sure what to do with this one since my mom is taking her plants back. I'm thinking a heavily planted community while the other will mostly have plastic/silk and easy/lowlight plants.

This one got a complete rescape though since I cleaned the tank really good. I don't really like it, but it's just until my mom gets her 20gL and takes all her plants. This one WILL be tore down while I clean it up and start adding new equipment...still, It's not going to be anything spectacular.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm pretty p*ss*d with this tank right now...I'm really thinking about putting the plants in a 20gL and bleaching this thing for a while once the fish are gone. So far, I've lost 2 S. Eupterus, 3 Livebearers and the red eyed Angel's eyes are fading out and turning pink! Something is definitely up as I haven't added any NEW fish recently...I'll wait to see how this tank turn out but right now, everyone who is in it is in lock-down. They cannot be moved!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode