125H Gallon First Time Live Plant Project (Lots Of Pictures) - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
125H Gallon First Time Live Plant Project (Lots Of Pictures)

From first set up of what I have,until the tank is all set up. Including the test/prestage/growing of the plants in a 10 gallon...

I found someone giving away what they called a 75 gallon (it was a 125H gallon in reality), and want to set it up as a freshwater with live plants. I don't have any money really so this is going to be a long work in progress... The 125H came with a fluval fx5, and I have added a 300w heater and (temporarily) an air pump, and some gold fish (also temporarily). I still need glass tops, a light, plants, and fish.

Picture of the tank on last steps of seal testing:

Found a 10 gallon, I have Dirted it and topped that with gravel from an I am not sure where (see first picture of 10 gallon). Thanks to help from @Sarlindescent I now have added plants and an assassin snail to the 10 gallon. I stopped into a Petco to see about some dried shrimp or something incase there were no snails in the plants. They said that they had an apple snail infestation and just gave me snails (I only took 10 this time as I don't want to have them take over) and said that they would give me more in a week or two too if I need. (If you live in Maryland and want apple snails go to the Petco in Croften) I will post a pic of the plants in and snails in the bags acclimatizing. Lastly I am adding some gold fish (a picture of that will be posted as well). I will post an update later how the plants and such are doing.

Tank has been dirted, and has had many water changes. Next step is plants!

Plants are all in! Just letting the snails all acclimatize before releasing them!

All plants, snails, and fish have been added. Just waiting for everything to settle, I may take another pic tomorrow after the tank has a chance to sit...
Sarlindescent likes this.

Last edited by Nick00Merlin; 11-08-2015 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Started making a DIY Co2, I need a couple more bottles but have a 1 gallon bottle with the sugar and yeast. Which reminds me, will brewers yeast work? I guess I will have my answer here soon... I plan on posting pics weekly so stay tuned, and if anyone sees something that might help please let me know.

Assassin Snail is cruzing around checking out its new home!

Brave Snail is cruising around on the frogbit!
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

If i may ask, how much did you get the 125 with the filter for?

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
If i may ask, how much did you get the 125 with the filter for?
Actually I got them both for free, I saw a post about someone getting rid of their tanks and jumped on it. And now I am itching to get plants and fish in.... But finances are making me go really slow (which might have helped some since almost all of my original plans have been changed or tweaked now.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00Merlin View Post
Actually I got them both for free, I saw a post about someone getting rid of their tanks and jumped on it. And now I am itching to get plants and fish in.... But finances are making me go really slow (which might have helped some since almost all of my original plans have been changed or tweaked now.
\
You got SOOOO lucky, i wish i could have that stuff but i dont have any funds
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
\
You got SOOOO lucky, i wish i could have that stuff but i dont have any funds
Yes I feel lucky!
Just cant wait to get the funds to be able to finish setting it up, partly why I started this Journal.
I still need glass tops, a light, the gravel/substrate, the hardscape, plants, and fish... The plants I hope to start cutlivating in my 10 and 15 gallon tanks, hence the above pictures/posts.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00Merlin View Post
Yes I feel lucky!
Just cant wait to get the funds to be able to finish setting it up, partly why I started this Journal.
I still need glass tops, a light, the gravel/substrate, the hardscape, plants, and fish... The plants I hope to start cutlivating in my 10 and 15 gallon tanks, hence the above pictures/posts.
I personally went lidless because i was on a budget
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I made a couple of discoveries last night.

First that gold fish were the absolute wrong fish to put in my newly planted 10G tank... They were ripping out the plants and eating the roots. Luckily I learned this before they killed plants... now to figure out what cheap fish to get to throw in to help.

Second, snails can move across the top of the water (on the underside) even if there is nothing there for them to grab onto. The slime that is on thier "foot" allows them to use the surface tention to stay up. I noticed this as I was watching a snail move from one frogbit plant to the other.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I noticed some algae starting to build up on some of the taller plants on Monday, so yesterday (Tuesday) I went to LFS with the intesions of getting an algae eater (shrimp or SAE) and saw a really cool catfish! It was a Banjo Catfish, never seen one before and he was only $3.49. So in addition to 2 SAE, I got a Banjo!!!

On another note I was looking around at the plants and I think I see a snail egg sack or 2... not sure if I should let this bunch hatch or pull them out? I don't really want snails (hence the assassin) and if I really want/need more I am sure I can get more free from Petco (they have an infestation right now).

In addition to the snail eggs I noticed that many of the plants have a nice bit of new growth! I will be taking pics right now and on Saturday. I will post some on Saturday before I have to trimm (yes there are some that will need trimmed already! So happy I didn't just kill them all... (though it is still early yet)
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So after a rather busy weekend I was able to take some pictures last night and get them loaded to the site. I was planning on trimming some of the plants as they are very close to the top but decided to wait since everything has only been in the tank for a little over a week (plus I want to get some scissors to use so that I don't pull up any plants accidentally).

On another note, I was walking through some woods near my house and found a tree graveyard... got some cool wood, took them home preasure washed it to get the dirt/rotten/softer wood and such off of them. Wife thinks I am crazy and got some crazy looks from neighbors too!!! (I love confuseing people) I plan on soaking them for a few weeks after I put them through the dishwasher and oven (though one piece may not fit in either so I am going to have to think of something else for that one if I want to use it), and use a hard brush on them. I will try to get some pictures of them tonight.

Now for the pictures (if you see anything that might help please speak up! and if you could help me to identify some of these plants that would be awesome too):

After 1 Week everything is looking alright. There is still some algae, and some of the grass plants have not really changed. But it is still early!

Bubbles that start at the base of the Amazon Sword and travel up the leaf. Not sure if it is O2 or CO2? But I have noticed a few plants that have bubbles that either come from the base or from where the plant was cut.

This is my Temp CO2 and I think an Onion plant. Not sure what the Red plant is called yet but I am going to get them all identified here sometime!

This is a nice close up of my Assassin Snail. Can algae grow on them?

The growth on some of these is just crazy for it only being a week. IMO that is...

Some Star Grass I believe it is and an SAE chilling on the Amazon Sword leaf!

This here is a mystery plant to me? I got it with the bundle I got from Sarlindescent so I will have to ask, as I have no clue.

Pygmy Chain Sword with algae. These have not grown much, but they are still alive!!!

Hope you are enjoying because I know I am having a blast!
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I started soaking the wood last night, I am then going to try putting it in the oven in a day or 2. If it doesn't fit in the oven does anyone have any ideas about how I could finish cleaning it up? I have already pressure washed the wood.

I will see about getting some pictures of the wood to show off sometime soon.

Here is a bad picture of how I am thinking of putting the wood into the tank:

Last edited by Nick00Merlin; 10-15-2015 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Adding Picture
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So my assassin snail died, I am not sure why unless he ate a bad snail, or maybe didn't eat enough (someone on a forum here said they don't like apple snails and that is what I had for it. Though I do know that he ate a couple) I am saddened by this and will be getting a new one at some point, now I may have to deal with an apple snail take over some day here soon too...
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After looking at what I have been posting I have come to realise that I like to begin my posts with the word "so" a lot. Ya that will be changing I think...

Last Wensday (14 October 2015) I had to do a trimming as everything is just growing like crazy! Here are some before and after pictures:

Week and a half and the first trim is needed! Three plants are either touching the surface or have already pushed above the surface.

Trimmed, Water Changed, and Cleaned! Also arranged the New Drift wood!

Moss found near Gypsy Sword has been tied to the drift wood.

While cleaning I noticed what I thought was aa possible parasite. Asked the LFS (H.O.T.) about it. Here is a picture:

Worm found swimming near the surface of the water, looked to be trying to get out. LFS says it is a larva.

I was also able to get some rocks gathered, cleaned, and have put them into the 125. There is also the "driftwood" that I will be using for the 15 Gallon in there right now too. I am thinking of getting some flame moss to put on it while it is in there. Here is a picture:

Rocks and Extra plants added with the driftwood that is going to go into my 15G.

Bump:

Bump:

Last edited by Nick00Merlin; 10-19-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Adding Date to the begining for date of trimming.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The wood that I found on my walk through a wooded area near me has been soaked, preasure washed, brushed, and one piece was thrown in the oven for about 5 hrs (the other is to large to be able to fit...). I have added both to my tank (one at a time over a few days time) to see how the feeder gold fish act/react and to be able to test the water too. I also hope that they both sink at some time otherwise I may be forced to get creative.

125G Wood has been added. Now to hope it becomes water logged, otherwise I will need more rocks!
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I highly suggest going to a home improvement store and getting a couple small porcelain tiles and placing them on the driftwood to make it sink. It should help it water log since it will be submerged. Maybe it doesn't matter, but my imagination says it should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
assassin snail, dirted, diy co2, freshwater, live plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode