New to planted tanks - replacing my reef tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks - replacing my reef tank

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here. I was pointed in this direction by a friend and I've decided to document my tank from the beginning.

The backstory on the tank is that I was previously a reef keeper. I had an Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 gal that blew out a a corner while I was out of town and I lost all of my stock including some very old fish. Needless to say, I wasn't happy and contacted the company and after some back and forth I ended up with a new 30 gal Nuvo, stand, and a bunch of other equipment.

I didn't want to go back and start another reef tank, nothing to start over with, not enough cash to do it quickly. I decided to go with a planted tank. I've always wanted one and it seemed like a good challenge.

So my current tank which I just filled tonight consists of the following:

- 30L Nuvo rimless tank with built in filtration
- Maxspect Razr LED light (leftover from reef tank)-completely controllable with 6 different time settings
- about 1" of organic peat based topsoil capped with 1" of black sand
- 1 piece of cool driftwood
- vinyl screen top to prevent future hatchetfish I hope to have from jumping out
- Cobalt Aquatics 75w heater set at 78

I have a fluidized reactor in the box still, not sure if I'll use it or not. I also have an RO/DI system with brand new filters that I'm not sure if I'll use. I filled the tank with tap water though.

I haven't figured out what kinds of plants I'll be putting in there. The substrate is raised a bit on the left side of the tank with a more open area on the right.

I'm a little concerned that the light I have won't have enough lower Kelvin spectrum. The light is awesome but maybe not in this application. I also realize that I'll probably have to get into CO2 injection at some point but that is something for the future.

Lots to learn and I hope to gain a lot of knowledge from this forum.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode