LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 12 Gallon Long - Seiryu Mountainscape

Updated FTS:

Adjustable color on the background:

Mood Lighting:

Hello again, planted tank amigos. I've been itching to get something in a wide/shallow footprint ever since I stumbled on some journals for the 60F and 12l. There was no tank in my office, where I spend most of my time, so this week I pulled the trigger on a Mr. Aqua 12-gallon long:

Equipment:
Tank: Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (Regular Clarity)
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (approx 7L), Aquasoil Powder (1L), and La Plata Sand (1L)
Filter: Eheim 2213 w/ shortened stock spraybar and intake (for now)
Light: 36" Current Satellite Plus (suspended)

Planned Equipment:
CO2: Either move the GLA Atomic V2 regulator/diffusor and 5lb tank over from my 29-gallon which currently only has S. Repens in it, or maybe a paintball setup. Thoughts?
Heater: Probably going inline to keep things tidy in this small tank

Planned Flora:
I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking of just a carpet over the areas of the tank covered in Aquasoil. Maybe HC (though I didn't have any luck with it on my last attempt) or lately leaning towards DHG Belem. I think a carpet is going to most match the mountainous look/feel I'm going for, but I worry that without any faster growing plants I'm in for an algae battle. Do you think a one-species carpet and a little moss on some of the rocks will be maintainable without starting an algae farm? Maybe some riccia shrubs too. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Planned Fauna:
1: 2x Snails (either horned nerites or apple snails)
2: Neo Shrimp Colony, with (maybe) some CRS or CBS
3: Small school of either Chili (or other dwarf) Rasporas, or Celestial Pearl Danios. Maybe a small school of each?

So far every tank I have done has been with driftwood, so I set out to do something with stone. A couple of lfs near me had some cool seiryu stone for a good price, so I picked a handful of good looking pieces.

I wanted to go for a dramatic mountainscape, with lots of exposed rock. I picked my main peak out, and took a hammer to the rest of the stones.

The main peak of my mountain

I cut a piece of light diffusion grid (eggcrate) from Home Depot to fit the dimensions of the tank. With non-tempered glass, I wanted a buffer between all of that rock and the bottom of the aquarium.

Here's the final hardscape:

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It looks a little too busy now, but I think with a dense carpet over all of the aquasoil it'll look pretty natural and dramatic. I wanted a combination of hard, jagged peaks, and pastoral grassy slopes. Hard and soft, aggressive and passive, ying and yang . I feel good about it how it came out, and one of the big advantages of using sand and aquasoil in close proximity is that I can't really change it around now without creating a mess. After about 6-8 hours with my hands in the tank over 3 days, I think it's good that I'm forced to walk away and declare it finished. I'd love to hear your thoughts and critiques of the hardscape, but I don't think it'll be changing at this point!

Let me know your plant ideas! I'm open to more than a one-plant carpet (plus moss), but that's kinda what I'm feeling unless someone has a great idea. I'm also not sure whether I'll be going with a dry start or flooding right away. Would like to hear your opinions on that too!
jess60901 and jess60901 like this.

Last edited by StefanC; 11-06-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added current tank pics to the first post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 AM
Algae Grower

Beautiful hard scape
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice work with the stone. It should look really nice once it grows in

Regards,
Karol

CO2Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would suggest pickin up some cheap stems like Elodea or Limnophila Sessiliflora just to give the carpeting plants a helping hand in the battle against alage to start off with. Then when you think you get a good balance and the carpets are all grown in you can chuck out those plants. But, great tank!

I think a one-species carpet would look great although I think some Hydrocotyle Tripartia hanging over that highest mountain would look sick (That's probably cus I'm obsessed with the look of plants overhanging). But then again it may block out the beauty of the hardscape, but it's up to you! Also, the CPD's may put a dent in your shrimp population growth and I kinda like a big school of Chili Rasboras more cus they tend to be less shy than the CPD's.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Very nice hardscape

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

Awesome job! cant wait to see the planting.

My tank journal

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestions! After a good amount of research and thought, I decided that I really want to preserve the sense of scale. I planted the following today:

HC (5 pots)
Staurogyne Repens (2 TC pots)
Alternanthera Reineckii (1 TC pot)
Fissidens Fontanus (4 portions)

I still need another pot or two of HC to finish planting it, and maybe some more Staurogyne. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the soil sections and think it should grow in nicely. I'm not sure if I'm going to do any stem plants (more Staurogyne?) on small grasses on the sand sections tucked against the rock formations.

I also still have a pot of TC Riccia sitting here, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Thoughts?

I'm pretty happy with how it's looking, but feel like maybe it's still missing something. What do you think?

(I'm also still going to add a piece of diffusion paper and an RGB LED backlight to the bank of the tank as well. I love that backlit look!)
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Very nice hardscape. Can't wait to see the plants fill in.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice hardscape. I had a tank like this with HC, Fissidens, and mini pellia. In retrospect, I wouldn't go with the Fissidens if you plan on having this scape long term. I used to trim it and some of the cuttings got mixed in with the HC carpet. At first they looked like little trees but then they turned into little bushes and no matter what I did they would keep growing. Eventually some grew below the HC and uprooted them.

Well good luck and what kind of spray bar/intake were you thinking of getting?

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great hardscape, I love seeing what folks do with long tanks. Can't wait to see it fill in.

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the heads up on the Fissidens. Since it's already glued to those rocks and flooded I think I'm going to give it a go, but I'll be extra careful about cleaning up the trimmings and not letting it get a hold anywhere on the ground. That's a great tip.

For now I'm going to stick with the stock intake (with a sponge pre-filter once I'm ready for livestock) and spraybar. I cut the stock spraybar in half(ish) and drilled some extra holes in it, and was shocked by the amount of flow when I first turned on the pump. I'll probably go with lily pipes eventually, but this'll work for at least a few months.

Update: I'm seeing some pearling on the HC already this morning! I haven't had great luck with it in my other tank, so I'm really hoping it takes off this time. I'm learning from my mistakes and trying to do everything right on this go around, using RO water, ADA Brightly Step 1 and K, Tons of CO2, a Satellite LED+ 5-10" from the substrate, plus these pots of HC were already thriving and fully immersed at the lfs. I have a good feeling about this one!
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Algae Grower

Hardscape looks amazing. I'm waiting for the 12gallon longs to get back in stock, they said 2 weeks.

860media

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is looking awesome. I'm going to try something similar soon, with either a 60F or 12L. A couple questions: What made you choose the 12L over the 60F, and how were you able to keep the areas with Aquasoil separate from the sandy areas? Just using rocks, or is there some other dividing material?

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks great!

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
I'm going to try something similar soon, with either a 60F or 12L. A couple questions: What made you choose the 12L over the 60F, and how were you able to keep the areas with Aquasoil separate from the sandy areas? Just using rocks, or is there some other dividing material?
I went back and forth between the 60F and 12L a bit. Since I wanted a mountainscape, I figured the extra height of the 12L would be more beneficial. I also think the 36" footprint of the 12L is bolder and more interesting than the shorter 60F after seeing them in person. 24"x12"x7" is a funky shape. I've seen awesome scapes in the 60F, but I love that crazy panorama footprint of the 12L. Lastly, I like to support the few great lfs in the area and one of them had the tank in stock.

The Sandy area in front is separated with carefully chosen and placed rocks. I did the aquasoil parts first, slowly adding to the slopes and building the barrier. Once the whole barrier was built and the hardscape was in place, I removed the aquasoil from the front and filled it with sand. It was a long process filled with many collapses and avalanches due to bumping rocks. It probably would be been easier to use a divider, but I spent quite a bit of time playing with the hardscape and rearranging it.

You'll have to start a journal when you start the tank. Its so awesome watching everyone's scapes take shape and fill in!

Tags
iwagami, journal, mountains, mr. aqua 12 gallon long, seiryu stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode