10 years of stumbling .. - Page 9 - The Planted Tank Forum
 297Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice write up @ipkiss - kinda amazing the information you can learn about your lighting when you have a nice PAR meter available.
For my 75g tank I generally ran red and blue at 100%. I am now seeing some value in adding the green but there is a BIG difference between the Satellite lights and the Radions as far as LED power.
Judging by how your tank looks - I would not be in a big hurry to change much lighting wise.
I do have a Satellite Plus Pro on my low tech 20g tank. I think I have the whites at 30-40%, red at 100% and blue at maybe 70%. I get a decent color in the tank, decent growth, and a decent PUR number.
When all channels are at 100% (yellow button) the Satellite does put out some PAR but to me the PUR value in the mid 50's just didn't work.
Greggz, ipkiss and Ken Keating1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
@ipkiss, great write up, very detailed, very helpful. Your plants look great, they're really doing quite well. Plus I like the layout and colors, it's more on the wild side, which is what I like. Your TJ is one of my favorites, just the way you started out and how well it's going , a very good, well written journey.

FWIW, I shut down my Sunblaster/6400K fixture on March 24; there was BBA starting to show up on my C. Parva and on the gravel in a few spots. Initially I had it running for six hours, then down to two and the BBA was still cropping up, so I shut the Sunblaster down. I'm already seeing an improvement. I'll start it again once everything gets back to normal, as I feel the peak lighting added by the Sunblaster helped plant quality with a few plants. It may only be on for 30 minutes a day, but I'll need to experiment to obtain best plant growth with minimum BBA. For your tank, I'd say the lighting is perfect, I probably wouldn't change anything. BTW, my front light is a Current Satellite Pro Plus, 48", and the plants seem to be doing well, so the fixture is providing sufficient lighting for the plants I have.
Greggz and ipkiss like this.

post #123 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It looks so lush and beautiful! So are you going to change anything with your lighting, based on the PAR readings? or just be more mindful of trimming plants that shade others?
ipkiss likes this.

|
|
|
|

post #124 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
I think it was @jeffkrol complaining about 'purple' tanks . B is present during my Sunrise and Sunset cycle times but that's another story. Regardless, bumping B to 100, due to the only 9 RGB LEDs vs 20 whites, results in a neglible PUR change at this level of PAR. To heck with purple tanks, I love it! There, I said it. I even love purple plants! Sorry, jeffkrol. I have fallen to the dark side.
to be continued ...

First, credit where credit is due..Lovely tank...Certainly more masterful in aquaculture than I am..!!!
Someday I'll change my lazy ways..

To be honest.. it's mostly a matter of "quantity"of toning. And also violet LED's..which you have none.
Besides it's magenta.. Blue and red make magenta..

Tone is a personal thing regardless..Maybe you misunderstood me..
Happens all the time.

Point has always been to do what "ONE" likes not what one tells them to like..

I defer to others to show the possibilities..

I wouldn't have really bothered but you said Beetlejuice..

Anyways just a compare/contrast of overall toning..

There is no right or wrong..

and, yea, my wife finds me annoying as well...

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...light_orig.jpg
Greggz, ipkiss, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #125 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Very nice write up @ipkiss - kinda amazing the information you can learn about your lighting when you have a nice PAR meter available.
For my 75g tank I generally ran red and blue at 100%. I am now seeing some value in adding the green but there is a BIG difference between the Satellite lights and the Radions as far as LED power.
Judging by how your tank looks - I would not be in a big hurry to change much lighting wise.
I do have a Satellite Plus Pro on my low tech 20g tank. I think I have the whites at 30-40%, red at 100% and blue at maybe 70%. I get a decent color in the tank, decent growth, and a decent PUR number.
When all channels are at 100% (yellow button) the Satellite does put out some PAR but to me the PUR value in the mid 50's just didn't work.
Lighting has always been seductive to me. Even in my algae blasting days. So, I feel a kinship with fellow Satellite owners and especially am attentive when I see you guys upgrade because if we had similar enough tastes for a satellite, there may be a viable chance that it's the same again for the next one up. The ability to grow stuff was not really the desire for me to look at different lights. Your readings with your satellite plus pros were the first to alert me to a dissatisfaction. That is, colors are pretty washed out at higher lighting. While PUR does not translate directly to CRI, it does have a more than a little with how my eyes perceive the colors. And also, the funny thing about numbers is that once you know, you start to chase ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
@ipkiss, great write up, very detailed, very helpful. Your plants look great, they're really doing quite well. Plus I like the layout and colors, it's more on the wild side, which is what I like. Your TJ is one of my favorites, just the way you started out and how well it's going , a very good, well written journey.

FWIW, I shut down my Sunblaster/6400K fixture on March 24; there was BBA starting to show up on my C. Parva and on the gravel in a few spots. Initially I had it running for six hours, then down to two and the BBA was still cropping up, so I shut the Sunblaster down. I'm already seeing an improvement. I'll start it again once everything gets back to normal, as I feel the peak lighting added by the Sunblaster helped plant quality with a few plants. It may only be on for 30 minutes a day, but I'll need to experiment to obtain best plant growth with minimum BBA. For your tank, I'd say the lighting is perfect, I probably wouldn't change anything. BTW, my front light is a Current Satellite Pro Plus, 48", and the plants seem to be doing well, so the fixture is providing sufficient lighting for the plants I have.
Thanks to you, too, for always being supportive. As for the Sunblaster, I almost joined your ranks. I even had one in my amazon cart thinking I'd get one just to try. I felt that I just needed a little more oomph and seeing all you guys get that from not spending too much was very tempting. The mounting issue is what gave me pause and while I figured that out, the urge sort of subsided. It's unfortunate that you had a scourge of BBA. I, too, had/have a few tufts against the right front corner where the main outflow bounces against, but I'm going with "I lost my most recent BBA sentry (true SAE)." We'll see. I feel like a change .. if only to try something to try to convince my silly crypt flamingo to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
It looks so lush and beautiful! So are you going to change anything with your lighting, based on the PAR readings? or just be more mindful of trimming plants that shade others?
Thanks! Figuring out the PAR was just because I was a little tired of just running on specs from the manufacturer sites. And Gregg said .. well, you gotta know! So figuring out the shading issue was a definite bonus. I'll definitely have to be more mindful of trimming and maintenance now. Anything for an incentive for my least favorite aspect As for the lighting change, it's more of a coloring issue I want to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
First, credit where credit is due..Lovely tank...Certainly more masterful in aquaculture than I am..!!!
Someday I'll change my lazy ways..

To be honest.. it's mostly a matter of "quantity"of toning. And also violet LED's..which you have none.
Besides it's magenta.. Blue and red make magenta..

Tone is a personal thing regardless..Maybe you misunderstood me..
Happens all the time.

Point has always been to do what "ONE" likes not what one tells them to like..

I defer to others to show the possibilities..

I wouldn't have really bothered but you said Beetlejuice..

Anyways just a compare/contrast of overall toning..

There is no right or wrong..

and, yea, my wife finds me annoying as well...

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...light_orig.jpg
Thanks, @jeffkrol (beetlejuice!)! and I definitely understand the part about laziness. Even as recent as a couple pages back, I've allowed my tank conditions to degrade to losing entire species due to neglect ^^; It was definitely this current batch of journals, Gregg being a constant cheerleeder for upkeep, and this current active crew of members just inspiring me to go along and do a little more. The funny thing about identity and doing what one likes is, well, sometimes, one doesn't even know what he/she likes. So what do you do in the beginning? Emulate the leaders. I thought I remembered either you or someone I read championing 'sunlight' colored tanks opposed to those with the "magenta tone" in the past so somehow that idea worked itself into my psyche. Or maybe I (wrongly?) convinced myself to up the "yellow/orange" tone for mid day sun by dropping out blue. But now, I think the charge is for CRI and color popping so I've been convinced to "like" that look
Greggz, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #126 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Think it comes from my childhood (revealing age here) where
"growlux" bulbs started replacing the old incandescent tube lights and "bluish" ones were few and far in-between. and relatively expensive..
would have done anything for tubes back then..oh and those were "expensive" too..

In case the site loses my image..well not "mine"..
https://images1.ratemyfishtank.com/p...17/10980_1.jpg
https://www.ratemyfishtank.com/user/...nk-photo/24617

don't know what happened.. just moved in a different direction..
some look at it as art, some as a small slice of nature in their homes.. Or any shade in-between..
Ken Keating1 and tredford like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #127 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey hey, my family had a tank with an incandescent too! This was on an old little 5 or 10G. I thought the color was 'interesting' compared to the really cool purple blue of our "big" 45 gallon tank. As my parents used to say, you don't know the price of rice ... So, I really didn't know how expensive those tubes were. I don't think they did either. It came with the tank and well, it was 'good enough' .... for glorious neon plastic plants! Oh, there were some purple ones too

post #128 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice update and presentation on the PAR, and glad to see the meter was useful.

I am seeing a pattern with many of the most colorful tanks here.........100+ PAR. Not surprising. Dosing only goes so far. To get more color nothing works like more PAR.

Tank is looking great. Nice job!!
ipkiss, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

------------------
post #129 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2019-03b - Seneye fun continued

So, being bothered a bit by the whole middle area above the hydrocotyle japan, I took another reading... this time taking some care to brush away some frogbit. Here's what I came up with and it's more in line of what I was expecting

I also finished up by taking a reading of the dark area behind the return where I've been trying to get my stems to grow. Growth don't lie... No light, no grow.

Following @Immortal1's track and pulling from a modified version of my dawn/dusk lighting of W20, R75, G1, B50, here's a reread of the front middle. Much better PUR and much better coloring to my eyes this time.

pulling back earlier image (W95, R100, G50, B0) for direct comparison:

@jeffkrol, "simulated magenta and violet"

You'll have to take my word that the second picture is a bit colder. The phone camera seemed to have warmed up that violet a bit much. At the end, I preferred the magenta. That's the one that gave the color you see in the FTS above. A tad warmer and a little fuzzier feeling.

@Greggz, 100PAR may be what gets my color, but the conundrum is that I don't get to see it until I let off that gas. No way I'm going to run at 30PAR the whole day And I wouldn't discount that dosing either. I was having some pretty ragged rotala macrandras before you championed those burr micros so they'd probably not fill out the tank in such glory. Guess that's why it's the 3 "pillars" . None are too important over the other and one has to "balance" the three.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #130 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
2019-03b - Seneye fun continued
Following @Immortal1's track and pulling from a modified version of my dawn/dusk lighting of W20, R75, G1, B50, here's a reread of the front middle. Much better PUR and much better coloring to my eyes this time.

pulling back earlier image (W95, R100, G50, B0) for direct comparison:

@Greggz, 100PAR may be what gets my color, but the conundrum is that I don't get to see it until I let off that gas. No way I'm going to run at 30PAR the whole day And I wouldn't discount that dosing either. I was having some pretty ragged rotala macrandras before you championed those burr micros so they'd probably not fill out the tank in such glory. Guess that's why it's the 3 "pillars" . None are too important over the other and one has to "balance" the three.

Those numbers you got at 31 PAR look very similar to what I am running on my 20g low tech tank. For that tank, growth is very slow but as you noted - the color is much better.

The 3 pillars - I like that. And you are correct - it is a balancing game. Tank looks like crap for several years then for some odd reason things start looking better. Then you finally realize your 3 way tetter totter is perfectly level
Greggz, ipkiss and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #131 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Those numbers you got at 31 PAR look very similar to what I am running on my 20g low tech tank. For that tank, growth is very slow but as you noted - the color is much better.

The 3 pillars - I like that. And you are correct - it is a balancing game. Tank looks like crap for several years then for some odd reason things start looking better. Then you finally realize your 3 way tetter totter is perfectly level
I wouldn't dare lay claim to the 3 pillars phrase though. That honor belongs to my current favorite site owner

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...h-plllars.html

But maybe I'll start using 3 way teeter totter after u. Man, I really gotta come up with my own analogy!

post #132 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice tank!
I love the mixed species look in the front carpet.
If I get a longer tank that style is going to be very tempting!

I was running the same two lights for a while on an 18" deep tank but I was only moderately successful with them, nothing like your tank!
ipkiss likes this.

post #133 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Nice tank!
I love the mixed species look in the front carpet.
If I get a longer tank that style is going to be very tempting!

I was running the same two lights for a while on an 18" deep tank but I was only moderately successful with them, nothing like your tank!
You honor me by calling it a 'style' Thanks!

In another question to the community, I'm curious of people's preferences. If anyone cares... Left lighting or right lighting?

post #134 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I vote right.
Reason: the fullness of greens in the light are so vivid. Only concern may be loss of sharp red, but all of this is preference anyway!
ipkiss likes this.

post #135 of 180 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 PM
Captain

Sorry, I'm a left kinda guy. The reds look fuller and that little bit of pinkish hue in the back stands out to me.
ipkiss likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode