286Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @ipkiss,

Funny that you should bring up Dennis Wong because he is one of the speakers, along with Christel Kasselmann, Cara Wade, Vin Kutty, and Cory McElroy at the AGA International Convention next spring in Seattle. I've been reading Dennis's website and the "Three Pillars of Growth",etc for the last week or so.
@Seattle_Aquarist, Man. So envious. Your venue is in the farthest possible state away from me in the continental US. Sigh. Accept. @Mighty Quinn, you see how that works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Very, very nice post @ipkiss .........I really like the "lessons learned" theme. Well thought out, well communicated............all around a good read!
@Greggz, it pales in comparison to yours! I just came across it this morning it via a post @Deanna did in someone else's thread!
@Mighty Quinn, this lessons learned list is probably more likely what you wanted. I couldn't have said it better and indeed I said it much worse.

Greggz' contribution to a Pro Tips thread

Heck, I'm going to update the earlier post with it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
Fantastic journal! Definitely a great read and I really like your tank!
@kaldurak, as I do yours. Your pink crypts are the envy of the forum!

2018-12b

Here's the post trim update. Tried to conservatively tame some of the overwhelming vegetation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ipkiss; 12-19-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Hi @ipkiss,

Funny that you should bring up Dennis Wong because he is one of the speakers, along with Christel Kasselmann, Cara Wade, Vin Kutty, and Cory McElroy at the AGA International Convention next spring in Seattle. I've been reading Dennis's website and the "Three Pillars of Growth",etc for the last week or so.
I think I might claw through my social anxiety and come up to see this.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @kaldurak,

It's going to be like a GSAS or GPAS meeting, just a bunch of plant and fish geeks talking about fish, plants, equipment, fertilizer, etc for an entire weekend - not to mention the all day auction on Sunday.

I first joined an aquarium club when I was 18 in St. Louis (MASI) and have been an active member of GSAS for a decade - clubs are a great way to enjoy the hobby. If you don't have a local club join the Aquatic Gardeners Association (AGA) and join like-minded plant folks. Their quarterly magazine is worth the price of membership and even better you get access to presentations from previous AGA Conventions (from 2000 through 2015).
Greggz likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #94 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Hi @kaldurak,

It's going to be like a GSAS or GPAS meeting, just a bunch of plant and fish geeks talking about fish, plants, equipment, fertilizer, etc for an entire weekend - not to mention the all day auction on Sunday.
I just looked over the information, and I have to say it's very, very tempting.

Just the opportunity to meet Dennis Wong and Vin Kutty (and others) might be worth it.

Gotta give that some serious consideration.

------------------
post #95 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @Greggz,

AGA runs the convention; GSAS as the 'hosting club' does all the local legwork to find venue, menu options, field trip, etc. AGA just today sent out an update to AGA members and this is the current status on the convention:

"This event is looking to be big with over 130 registrations already booked, and a second vendor room added. We sold out of the field trip and both workshops within the first week, the banquet is already 2/3 full -- we may end up selling out the registrations entirely! If you're planning on coming, book now!"

Of course the speakers are the highlights of the event. I wouldn't want to miss the banquet since that is where Christel Kasslemann is doing her second (2nd) presentation!
Greggz likes this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #96 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2018-12c

Dear Journal,

This will seemingly be the last update of 2018. As I sit here and reminisce, I can say that overall, it's been a good year. My housemate seemed to have paid more attention to me this year. He has been the most active he's ever been talking about me on this journal this year. His lazy self finally put in those stainless steel pipes that he talked so much about around the end of last year. Did I mention it was a whole year later almost? This was also the year that I was lucky enough to have some of you members (@Seattle_Aquarist, @Phil Edwards) point out I lacked calcium so thanks are in order! Along with the rest of you visitors @Greggz @JJ09 @sdwindansea, to name a few, thanks for occasionally looking in. No doubt you have kept this guy going whenever he starts getting lazy and ignoring me.

I don't know if I shared his obsession for adding red plants, but it seemed like he managed to achieve it on some level. It took the entire wipeout of the red ludwigia and an entire species change to rotala colarata though--with a splash of AR variegated. OH, don't get me started on how he sort of brought that upon himself anyway by running out of micro fertilizers. Good thing again, we're on this forum and there's this obsessed guy named @burr740 who supplied us with some custom micros full of juicy iron. Man, are those things great or what? Looks like he's got some sort of handle on a little bit of higher light too. I'm sure that has helped with this red tunnel vision.

To you guys old and new who find me inspiring.. Wow, what kudos and thanks. I hope that sort of praise doesn't get to my housemate's head and then he'll start thinking he's something and get lax on his upkeep again!

Here's to a decent year and many hopes for a great new one with good health and happy discoveries!

Here's the closing plant list:

1 - Big FAT Frogbit
2 - Vallisneria
3 - Java Fern 'Windelov'
4 - Loebelia Cardinalis
5 - Hydrocotyle 'Japan'
6 - Mystery Moss(es) maybe anchor
7 - Microsword
8 - (One!) Crypt Flamingo
9 - Monte Carlo carpet
10 - Dwarf Hairgrass
11 - Crypt Wendtii Red
12 - Alternanthera Reineckii 'Variegated'
13 - Rotala Colorata
14 - Rotala Ramosior 'Florida'
15 - Rotala Macrandra Type IV Mini
16 - Mermaid weed - US Type?

-- I'm only a box of water and stuff ... I don't get the hype ...

Last edited by ipkiss; 01-01-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: punctuation and forgot mermaid weed in plant list
post #97 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It looks great! I've always thought seeing the tank in b&w is cool- makes you view everything different. I've taken a few shots like that myself on my old tank. Cheers to a new year!
Greggz and ipkiss like this.

|
|
|
|
post #98 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Mighty Quinn, this lessons learned list is probably more likely what you wanted. I couldn't have said it better and indeed I said it much worse.

Greggz' contribution to a Pro Tips thread
That "Pro Tips" post by Greggz is amazing. Should be a sticky. Thank you for providing the link.

However, please, please continue your philosophical rantings in this journal as they are highly entertaining and educational.

Cheers,
TMQ
Greggz, ipkiss and mbkemp like this.
post #99 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the way the reds are filling in.

That R. Colorata is a good looking plant.

If my tank could talk, it would say.............. "Oh No here comes those scissors again"!
ipkiss likes this.

------------------
post #100 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your tank is gorgeous! The way the reds and pinks pop amongst all the green is stunning. Work of art!
Seattle_Aquarist and ipkiss like this.
post #101 of 175 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@ipkiss: Your journal is one that I really enjoy reading, I like your writing style, the humor, and the honesty. It's fun to go through you journal, it's a different approach than the more technical journals. And I love the thread name, it really defines our hobby and the things we have to go through.

Your tank has come along way from 2007, and it looks great now. You need to change your journal name to "10 Years of Stumbling But Not Anymore!"
Greggz and ipkiss like this.

post #102 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Happy New Year, Folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
It looks great! I've always thought seeing the tank in b&w is cool- makes you view everything different. I've taken a few shots like that myself on my old tank. Cheers to a new year!
Thanks! Would it disappoint you, then, if I revealed that it was mere google photo editing? I actually just borrowed that idea from burr to label the plants. I can hear my old school self muttering at me now. Punks these days, all about the technology. Taking away the magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
That "Pro Tips" post by Greggz is amazing. Should be a sticky. Thank you for providing the link.

However, please, please continue your philosophical rantings in this journal as they are highly entertaining and educational.

Cheers,
TMQ
Will try to oblige!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I like the way the reds are filling in.

That R. Colorata is a good looking plant.

If my tank could talk, it would say.............. "Oh No here comes those scissors again"!
Hah, I do find myself breaking out those scissors more these days. The monte carlo needs a good razing often. The frogbit probably screams more as they get purged. To think, too, that R. colorata was an afterthought during my last purchase.. a filler. to get free shipping! Just goes to show, you never know what plant ends up working for ya and just gotta go with the flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Soprano View Post
Your tank is gorgeous! The way the reds and pinks pop amongst all the green is stunning. Work of art!
Thanks! As I still suck at scaping, I'd love to say it was intentional, but, I guess more frequent trimming and general hard work has gotten some results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
@ipkiss: Your journal is one that I really enjoy reading, I like your writing style, the humor, and the honesty. It's fun to go through you journal, it's a different approach than the more technical journals. And I love the thread name, it really defines our hobby and the things we have to go through.

Your tank has come along way from 2007, and it looks great now. You need to change your journal name to "10 Years of Stumbling But Not Anymore!"
Glad to have fans of the writing. I only do it because I lack the skill, tenacity, and tools to go full on technical ! Yeah, the tank is decent now all thanks to the fine community here, But, Oh Ken, to get cocky with that name change would be to court death -- by algae!

post #103 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I really like the way the red wendtii and Rotala Ramosior 'Florida' look in the tank. Keep up the great posts and happy 2019 to all.
Greggz likes this.

Tank Journal -
post #104 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea View Post
I really like the way the red wendtii and Rotala Ramosior 'Florida' look in the tank. Keep up the great posts and happy 2019 to all.
Actually, you're more likely referring to the rotala colorata. I did a crappy job of labeling. The rotala Florida is much less prominent than I have hoped. U have to zoom in quite a bit to see the very few stems of it.

post #105 of 175 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Actually, you're more likely referring to the rotala colorata. I did a crappy job of labeling. The rotala Florida is much less prominent than I have hoped. U have to zoom in quite a bit to see the very few stems of it.

Well, that makes a bit more sense and I'm glad to see we both blame you for my mistake .
ipkiss likes this.

Tank Journal -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode