360Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Twilight besets us
Contents of a glass box rests
A good night to all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great twilight pic!
ipkiss likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post

Twilight besets us
Contents of a glass box rests
A good night to all
Love the planted tank haiku!

Reminds me of the Bashō classic:

And old pond
A frog jumps

Fuzuru ike (fools you care)
Kaeru tobikomu (cowards to become)
ipkiss and Discusluv like this.

post #184 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Great twilight pic!
Yea! I had one of those moments that you and Gregg had. Just off of a water change and had only the back unit on while I lifted up the front one to give me access and saw the golden lloydelia and said .. heyyyy!

but what good is a calming pic without an accompanying amateur high school level haiku?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Love the planted tank haiku!

Reminds me of the Bashō classic:

And old pond
A frog jumps

Fuzuru ike (fools you care)
Kaeru tobikomu (cowards to become)
Haha, I'm nowhere near that kind of level of serious about it. Shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as someone who has earned the right to have "classics." But thanks. I only do it to add some whimsy. As long as some folks find it entertaining, I'll try to do it as a mind exercise!

In tank news,

It was time to roll some new micros!

So, I did some calculations and realized I was rolling with these amounts of dosing per 2 weeks -- kinda sorta. Always been a little lazy about the daily routine.
B 0.42 Cu 0.02 Fe 2.4 Mn 0.96 Mo 0.01 Ni 0.006 Zn 0.6
Look at that Fe! Well, the mid 2019 scuttlebutt about Fe is that's sort of excessive. So, the new mix has Fe down to 1.2 with everything else the same.
B 0.42 Cu 0.02 Fe 1.2 Mn 0.96 Mo 0.01 Ni 0.006 Zn 0.6

A half hour later futzing with granules: 250mls worth and ready to "roll!"

Also, coinciding with this is the decision to go "Front Loading" micros too. Sorta kinda went front loaded for 5 days last week already as water change was delayed for 5 days and I decided to ride on what was already in there after the previous 2 weeks of dosing. Wait, um, wow, might have to rethink my concentrations. I just poured 30mls in. It felt -- unnatural.

Last edited by ipkiss; 06-24-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #185 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I just poured 30mls in. It felt -- unnatural.
With Burr's micro mix
In the small planted fish tank
Dose more at low strength
Grobbins48 likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #186 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
With Burr's micro mix
In the small planted fish tank
Dose more at low strength
so you're saying ... do NOT front load? at least not for only 20G?
mind you, even at 30ml, it was merely 0.6ppm Fe this round.

1.2 was calculated for both weeks cumulative.

post #187 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

My high school level haiku was in response to the comment about adding 30 mL feeling unnatural, nothing more.
ipkiss likes this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #188 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
My high school level haiku was in response to the comment about adding 30 mL feeling unnatural, nothing more.
In a view too close
did not see high school haiku
Oh, terrible fail!
Phil Edwards likes this.

post #189 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beautiful! I will be doing a 75 gallon planted tank soon

Bump:
Quote:
In a view too close
did not see high school haiku
Oh, terrible fail!
the second line has 6 syllables. it is not a haiku!!
ipkiss likes this.
post #190 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Curious to hear about how the micros go- I want to join you on this journey, but I missed a water change this weekend with the beautiful weather and back to back weeks of travel. Maybe I'll get a good reset this weekend and give it a go!
ipkiss likes this.

|

post #191 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:46 AM
Planted Member

Can you wrap up your experience and make a conclusion of what to do and what not to do, for those who are just getting into the hobby?
post #192 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can you wrap up your experience and make a conclusion of what to do and what not to do, for those who are just getting into the hobby?

Hi! @[email protected]

Well, I was asked a similar question about half a year ago about lessons learned from the tank, and this is how I answered...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11147373

I reread it, just in case I thought differently, but I still feel the same about it, so I'll let you jump back to that post if you haven't seen it already. Be sure also, to go beyond that post into the Pro tips thread mentioned there. It was an innocent question that garnered a lot of useful tidbits from many experienced members of the board.

Ahh, what the heck, here's the pro tips thread for anyone else who wants to read it instead of my drivel
Planted Tank Members Pro Tips Thread! -- A veritable goldmine of thought nuggets!
Immortal1 and Desert Pupfish like this.

post #193 of 209 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@Grobbins48, two weeks of front loading micros, 1 water change later, no noticeable cries of dissatisfaction from the plants yet.

post #194 of 209 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
@Grobbins48, two weeks of front loading micros, 1 water change later, no noticeable cries of dissatisfaction from the plants yet.
I am liking this story so far!
Phil Edwards and ipkiss like this.

|

post #195 of 209 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2019-07

What a surprise.

The left front crypt is a flamingo after all. After weeks of just looking generic with those maroon roundish leaves, it pushes up a pink one! And gooo osmocote. As I was telling Phil, I "acquiesced to these petulant" crypts by burying a good 20 osmocote balls .. single balls! not whole tabs! .. around the area of the three crypts and am seeing new leaves being pushed up pretty fast now. Previously, those things only pushed up leaves when it lost them so it was a net gain of nothing. Kinda just there in limbo. not growing, not dying.

but, all is not well in the tank. From the seat of my pants @Grobbins48, I'm not sure if front loading micros is working out too perfectly. The majority of the plants seem to be fine, but now that we're a few weeks in, some of the testier plants are not too happy.

Check out the tips of these guys

A little out of focus and excuse the background floating weed. But this is "Red Nesea" being a bit unhappy. Crinkled tips.

Even the flamingos, this shot a bit after the earlier above shot.

Note the same left side front one. It pushed up a new leaf even, but the new leaves just won't open up -- stays scrolled up.

Some other guys I didn't take a pic of just overall didn't look so juicy and happy. Even midway last week, I ended up giving an extra shot of micros and then macros. So compromise and do a 2x/week dose? Probably will go back to daily drudgery of daily micros for a bit to see if I can get this new growth more consistent before I try that. Have to figure out if the flamingo just ran out of osmocote or if it's the front loaded micros.

And finally, nothing like hearing Gregg's chiding voice when I'm slacking on my water change. Delayed by a week, but was pushed out this morning.

Post water change happiness.

Managed to luck out and got a pretty decent shot of the celebes

might have to change my avatar pic!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode