post #166 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Journey to Keg King
Refills for the tank AND me!
Live another day.

You know, that seems very efficient. I might just need to look into that myself for my next CO2 refill.
ipkiss likes this.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

If only my local Airgas sold beer too... Then again, welding supplies and booze probably aren't the best combination.
Blacktetra and Ken Keating1 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #168 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
As usual, thanks for the kind words, all.. not possible without this forum so I share my thanks back to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZB View Post
Not only finding the balance for a successful tank, but finding the balance between tank and life is very hard to achieve. Something it looks like you achieved....Well done my friend. I hope to find that soon
Hah @KZB, you don't have to be too wistful. It may all be an illusion. This is what I resort to. Posting at 5:00am after being woken up by my progeny as the tank and house is starting to fall into disarray again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
You know, that seems very efficient. I might just need to look into that myself for my next CO2 refill.
Unfortunately, it sometimes gets expensive because he procures very interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
If only my local Airgas sold beer too... Then again, welding supplies and booze probably aren't the best combination.
I used to go to a welding shop too that did some beverage fills on the side, but the guy who "knows about co2" seems usually unavailable and they would chill my tank for a good 45 mins before filling. They swore this was necessary. Refills became a chore -- sort of. Needed planning for taking the trip, finding a place to kill an hour, then returning. Then there was this time, they did that, filled for what seemed to be 20 mins and I STILL went home with a low tank. Then, it was kismet that this keg guy popped up closer to home and I happened to be looking for someone to do refills. Dude shocked me when he chilled the tank for 10 mins .. sometimes even less! So, while we were in conversation to pick beers, he would just casually stroll over to the freezer, grab my tank, and fill in what must have been 20 seconds, and weigh. I had my suspicions about the short chill and fill as the other place drew this process out immensely. This guy was confident, showed me the scale, and sent me home. After many times of repeating this, and always giving me the "baker's dozen" equivalent of a fill, I've learned that the welding shop just didn't have qualified guys for co2! Imagine that. At the heart of it, I think it was because they were too lazy to keep their big tank of co2 filled properly. So, there you have it, if you're ever in my area, go to the The Keg King. Give him business. Especially if you run that kind of business. He sells full kegs too for parties and restaurants. Help keep him around for my benefit. I will thank you too!

Last edited by ipkiss; 05-26-2019 at 09:48 AM. Reason: it's early morning and I forget stuff..

post #169 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2019-05b

So it's not a "planted tank" update unless I actually talk about the tank right? How dare I fill my journal up with inane chatter about beer, life, and kids? I must not disappoint those here for tank updates!!

The difference between April and May may not ( hehe, may may .. ) look like much and bonus points if you're bored enough to do a what's different before reading on .

but in reality, there were much changed. First of all, there were many spare hours spent digging this hot mess out of the tank ..

That quantity was repeated at least 3 times. That moss was inanely intertwined with everything and it was painstakingly separated back out wherever possible. Clumps of hairgrass and stuff were parted from the mess and replanted. The project was just too immense to tackle in one go so I just did small sections whenever I stole some time. Was probably thankless in general appearance. The only visual clues are subtle. The hairgrass and microswords are in their own batches now, the monte carlo is now in a 'patch' to give some room for other plants. But most importantly, the middle ground area of plants have been cleared up to provide more swim space for ..

didja see it? sleight of hand! misdirection! It's new fauna!!! + 115%

For the first time in probably over a year, I've acquired some new fish. Wife has always complained about lack of space (i.e. jungle) + lack of fish. "Where's the fish in the tank??" "I don't feed *your* tank because there's no fish to feed" etc.
So, seeing some recent posts from @Greggz and @Immortal1 about the little blue-eyed rainbows had reminded me about my bunch a few years back ...

Goodness!! Look at that crazy algae!

(sidenote: youtube is horrendous for video editing. I mean, I understand free stuff is not necessarily good stuff, but in this case, it sure feels like free stuff is intentionally hobbled so you don't use it. .. all I wanted to do is remove some audio. Really. I'd love to hear the explanation of why that is so hard -- even if it was a business decision. You can choose tracks to "blend" with your audio, you can clearly muck around with the audio track. Where's the piece that just simply lets you erase it?? Good thing someone told me about openshot )

So, at my last Gold Coast Aquarium Society fish show a few months back, I had become aware and had visited a new LFS called The Aquarium Show. I saw the rainbows then, but was sort of hesitant to spend the money for them. I mean, I'm used to spending 99 cents for fish! Ok, ok, I went as far as 2.99 for cardinals and/or glowlight tetras. Anyway, dude had a very clean and beautiful shop and I was compelled to support local, so I went back for some of those mini "bows." Pretty cool place, pretty legit guy. Go check him out. Please also help keep him in business for my benefit ..

Unfortunately, they were out of forktail blueeyes, so I settled for celebes.

Wife wanted some neon rainbows, so I obliged.

Will probably go back for some blue-eyes when they do get them. Granted, these guys are no specialized fancy rainbows, but eh, it's a start

annndd, that brings us up to 2 weeks already since the last 'tank update'. hopefully, I'll get a chance to do some trimming and pull off a water change by the time you guys read this.

Last edited by ipkiss; 05-26-2019 at 03:56 PM.
post #170 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @ipkiss,

I've kept the 'fancy' rainbows and have learned to appreciate the 'plain' Melanotaenia praecox “Pagai”. If I obtain quality fish of any species I appreciate them. What I truly like about M. praecox is their strong 'schooling' habit, they don't 'wander' as singles very often in my tank.

Gary Lange Melanotaenia praecox 'Pagai' (F4)
Greggz, ipkiss, Immortal1 and 2 others like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #171 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@Seattle_Aquarist

Have they ever "accidentally" bred for you?

post #172 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
2019-05b

So it's not a "planted tank" update unless I actually talk about the tank right? How dare I fill my journal up with inane chatter about beer, life, and kids? I must not disappoint those here for tank updates!!

The difference between April and May may not ( hehe, may may .. ) look like much and bonus points if you're bored enough to do a what's different before reading on .

but in reality, there were much changed. First of all, there were many spare hours spent digging this hot mess out of the tank ..

That quantity was repeated at least 3 times. That moss was inanely intertwined with everything and it was painstakingly separated back out wherever possible. Clumps of hairgrass and stuff were parted from the mess and replanted. The project was just too immense to tackle in one go so I just did small sections whenever I stole some time. Was probably thankless in general appearance. The only visual clues are subtle. The hairgrass and microswords are in their own batches now, the monte carlo is now in a 'patch' to give some room for other plants. But most importantly, the middle ground area of plants have been cleared up to provide more swim space for ..

didja see it? sleight of hand! misdirection! It's new fauna!!! + 115%

For the first time in probably over a year, I've acquired some new fish. Wife has always complained about lack of space (i.e. jungle) + lack of fish. "Where's the fish in the tank??" "I don't feed *your* tank because there's no fish to feed" etc.
So, seeing some recent posts from @Greggz and @Immortal1 about the little blue-eyed rainbows had reminded me about my bunch a few years back ...

https://youtu.be/qK51_7cx6Zs

Goodness!! Look at that crazy algae!

(sidenote: youtube is horrendous for video editing. I mean, I understand free stuff is not necessarily good stuff, but in this case, it sure feels like free stuff is intentionally hobbled so you don't use it. .. all I wanted to do is remove some audio. Really. I'd love to hear the explanation of why that is so hard -- even if it was a business decision. You can choose tracks to "blend" with your audio, you can clearly muck around with the audio track. Where's the piece that just simply lets you erase it?? Good thing someone told me about openshot )

So, at my last Gold Coast Aquarium Society fish show a few months back, I had become aware and had visited a new LFS called The Aquarium Show. I saw the rainbows then, but was sort of hesitant to spend the money for them. I mean, I'm used to spending 99 cents for fish! Ok, ok, I went as far as 2.99 for cardinals and/or glowlight tetras. Anyway, dude had a very clean and beautiful shop and I was compelled to support local, so I went back for some of those mini "bows." Pretty cool place, pretty legit guy. Go check him out. Please also help keep him in business for my benefit ..

Unfortunately, they were out of forktail blueeyes, so I settled for celebes.

Wife wanted some neon rainbows, so I obliged.

Will probably go back for some blue-eyes when they do get them. Granted, these guys are no specialized fancy rainbows, but eh, it's a start

annndd, that brings us up to 2 weeks already since the last 'tank update'. hopefully, I'll get a chance to do some trimming and pull off a water change by the time you guys read this.
Those Congo tetras are pretty amazing as well.
ipkiss and Ken Keating1 like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #173 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Those Congo tetras are pretty amazing as well.
*were*

I said a *few* but it was more than a few years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't care for them so much at the time. I was delusionally trying to raise some shrimp in the tank and they were constantly a worry. I guess they were ok while they lasted. One lasted quite a while after the other but in time, even it moved on. If journal pics are correct, I had them from 2013 to 2016.
Discusluv likes this.

post #174 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @ipkiss,

Almost every morning before the lights come on pairs are diving headfirst into the Eleocharis (hairgrass) in that picture - shortly thereafter the Corydoras sterbai are in there having breakfast. I'll probably breed them in the future however right now my 10 gallon fry tank has about a dozen Melanotaenia lacustris (Lake Kutubu / Turquoise) rainbowfish fry in it. I picked them up at the AGA convention and they seem to be doing well.
ipkiss and Blacktetra like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #175 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

I will never keep moss in a thickly planted tank ever again. Maybe not ever again period unless it's for animal breeding. Like yours, the stuff I had got everywhere and caused all sorts of issues. Once it's in a tank, it's in there for good. I had to do a significant substrate cleaning that involved sieving it to get fine sediment out and found moss fragments growing IN the substrate. I thought I'd gotten it all out after the last major purge and clean, but I guess not. From now on it's getting the Riccia treatment; any tiny little bit that shows up gets yanked immediately, no mercy. Best of luck with yours.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #176 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those are some beautiful pictures you took! Nice work!

|

post #177 of 177 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking awesome mate,
Truly a big fan of the chaos in these tanks. Jungle at its best and I love it!
ipkiss likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode