My New scape... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking My New scape...

Hi all... Thought I would share with you how my tank is going... it has been up and running for about a month now. Things are starting to settle in nicely.

Tank: 30g Oceanic cube
Light:Current USA Outer Orbit 2X 65W Combo daylight 6000\10000 K on 8 hours, 1X 150w 10000K Metal halide on 4 hours.
CO2:Pressurized CO2 In line reactor Milwaukee controller.
Filtration: Eheim 2227, H.O.T. Magnum
Substrate: 100% Fluorite
Dosing: Phertz brand recommended schedule

Plants:
Eleocharis Montevidensis
Hrgrophila Difformis
Myrophyllum sp.
Ludwigia Repens
Nesaea sp.
Dwarf Hair grass
Baby Tears
Flame moss
Fissidens fontanus
... Probably others that I cant think of...

Livestock:
5 Cardinal Tetras
2 Otto's
2 Molly's
4 Cherry Red Shrimp (probably some baby shrimp)
2 Amano Shrimp
4 Bumblebee Shrimp
10 Dwarf rasbora
Pics

Week 1

Week 2 new plants and light

Week 3 new daylight bulbs

Algae outbreak!!!!

Nice and clear 2 weeks later too today... looking pretty good.

So what do you all think? I am still trying to learn my creative side and get a good layout any tips, plant types, grooming recommendations, replanting. So anything you would like to share with me on making my tank look better would be appreciated. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Beautiful!! Looks wonderful. How did you stop the algae?

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks great!

I too am interested how you stopped the algae. I am fighting the same algae in my tank(which I think is to me overdosing phosphate for the past month) and its a PITA to clean out every week.

For your tank I'd go for some root looking driftwood that goes from the surface to the bottom to make a submerged swamp kind of look. I think it would look good considering the height of the tank.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

yes I have been thinking the same thing about needing some tall driftwood, just need to find some. The algae pretty much cleared itself up, just let it be for a bit and it slowly went away. I had Green dust pretty bad and diatom bad. Diatom went away in about a week on its own and the green dust took about 2 weeks of not touching it and it started to die of. I also had green water pretty bad, put in some carbon and it was gone in a day. I think i just got my dosing down and co2 dialed in and the tank just balanced out thus algae went away. Thanks!!

Chris
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It looks pretty good! I agree with Postal Punguin, add some more driftwood.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

While doing a water change I kinda uprooted the penny wort... so I took it all out... and replanted a smaller bit to the left.... it was pretty much taking over the tank prior to this.... giant. anyways here is a pic. I think its a bit more balanced.... I trimmed up all other plants as well. I have never removed so much plant material every week in any other tank.... pretty awesome growth every week. I am trying to trim down the baby tears every week... pretty thick carpet growing on the right side of the tank.... kinda want to replace it all with HC... and I am going to try and find a nice rooty driftwood to get in there today..... more pics to come.....anyways Thanks for looking.

Sorry for the phone pics, My iPhone just makes it so easy to post pics I am able to post more often...

Chirs
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I was bored so I took a few pics to share with you all... enjoy!!

Discovered some baby guppies.... here is one of them

One of my many CRS....

Another view of the tank
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That's really nice. Your plants look happy.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Do you get sunburned when you sit in front of your tank looking at it for too long?

Great job so far! It's incredible that you are keeping the algae down. The plants look great.

-Chris

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys I am really trying and things seem to be going well. Yes my light is extremely bright, I love it. Thank you all for looking.

Chris
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

so I have noticed some of the leaves on my penny wort are kinda looking normal color in some spots and almost white in others..... I know its a deficiency of some sort what do you think.... Iron? You can kinda see in the photo above... on the left.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

any ideas??
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

An update....found some youngster shrimp... pretty cool

Another full tank shot... the baby tear carpet is really getting thick...

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I might be wrong, but I have heard that plants with a iron deficiency get brown or black spots. Or is that just Java Fern?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Quite evidently you have a very healthy environment in there. If you are not sure what it is, you might want to take a reading of all water parameters just to keep it as a handy reference for future.

Nice work!

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode