110x Marine Planted Tank - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 155 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Thanks a lot everyone! I encourage anyone to do it if you have the urge, if the same thing over and over fails to excite you, then this is a good way to change things up. New species to play with and figure out, new livestock options, a few more params to tinker with, etc etc. By the time I managed to pool all the money and equipment together to make this another FW planted tank, I was burnt out on the idea and wanted to break down most of my tanks, my attitude was a drag, now I'm all excited over a box of water again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post
That's the first time I've ever heard someone say he was sad his bryopsis was dying off.

-Charlie
I know, silly isn't it... I was actually quite nervous when I saw it taking over, but then realized how much it works in a tank like this. I'm kinda bummed to see it wasting away, but there's plenty of other things popping up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

More pics and some new IDs...

Derbesia sp. and Caulerpa taxifolia ...

Here's some cool stuff growing on my driftwood, Ulva (Enteromorpha) intestinalis - (gutweed)...

Caulerpa verticillata growing in Halimeda (monile or incrassata)...

Some interesting type of Halimeda, got this at a frag swap from Gulf Coast Ecosystems...

Feather duster hanging out in Penicillus...

post #64 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some higher life...

Anemone from the gulf (or Keys) that hitchhiked on the Sargassum. 1/4" diameter...

Got about 5 of them, but they move around a lot and disappear easily...

Zoanthids...

Ricordea florida...

Still gotta ID this guy, possibly Rhithropanopeus...

Another closeup, with the photosynthetic Gorgonian from the Keys...

Last edited by jaidexl; 12-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.
post #65 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey that looks great. THis has really come together fast. I love that brown algae that looks like kelp. I once had something like that sprout from some live rock in a little SW setup that I had years ago and it was about my favorite thing in the tank.
post #66 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks! Yeah, the Sargassum,, lots of cool critters and algae coming out of that stuff. I'm glad it likes my lighting, can't wait to see it get big.

post #67 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just sold the contents of my reef to get back into planted tanks. I've seen several of these tanks popping up on forums. They are beautiful! Mind posting a list of your equipment? I've been thru this entire thread, if I missed it, I apologize.
post #68 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Awesome Awesome Awesome.

Marine planted tanks are always amazing.

__
__
post #69 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
Awesome Awesome Awesome. Marine planted tanks are always amazing.
Thanks a lot, Jeffrey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
I just sold the contents of my reef to get back into planted tanks. I've seen several of these tanks popping up on forums. They are beautiful! Mind posting a list of your equipment? I've been thru this entire thread, if I missed it, I apologize.
Oh, sorry bout that, had a thread on my plumbing going when I started so I think I was trying to save forum space. Here you go...

filtration- 3/4" closed loop, Blueline HD40, Ocean Clear 325 with pleated cartridge.
(Today, I'm building a 1" loop and switching the pump out to a Gen-X PCX 70, time for more flow)

CO2- none

Ferts/additions- nitrate, traces (fe), calcium, and bicarb weekly. Might have to add a Ca reactor, this Halimeda eats up about 3 degrees KH before I even get to a weekly water change. Can't test Ca at the moment but I bet that's dropping fast, too, so I'm adding it as well.

Here's the plumbing thread> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...rnal-pump.html

And the tank refurb thread> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-110x-56k.html

post #70 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Where did you find those union/shut off valves? Those are slick and I definitely could use some.

John

post #71 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
when i grow up i will make one of this aquariums !
post #72 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
So cool...

One question. You don't have lots of live rock in there and your in tank equipment seems pretty clean. Do you have any probs with coralline algae growing all over your in tank stuff? I can't stand the way it coats the plastic/acrylic equipment as well as glass in tanks but somehow seems to avoid growing on the LR. it doesn't look like you have a problem with it yet.

Are you dosing any alkalinity or calcium supplements? Or is there no need to?

-Charlie

post #73 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp2 View Post
Where did you find those union/shut off valves? Those are slick and I definitely could use some.
Savko.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumushummus View Post
when i grow up i will make one of this aquariums !
Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post
So cool...

One question. You don't have lots of live rock in there and your in tank equipment seems pretty clean. Do you have any probs with coralline algae growing all over your in tank stuff? I can't stand the way it coats the plastic/acrylic equipment as well as glass in tanks but somehow seems to avoid growing on the LR. it doesn't look like you have a problem with it yet.

Are you dosing any alkalinity or calcium supplements? Or is there no need to?

-Charlie
Well, I haven't gotten that far yet, it'll probably take a few more months to notice a problem. I clean the glass once a week to avoid it there (I want the back showing through to the wall), and so far the filter risers have grown some soft algae but that's it. In the future I'll be removing the equipment for nicer pictures, anyway. I might periodically sand and repaint them, also.

I have to dose about 2 tspns baking soda a week even with weekly water changes, and even though I don't have a Ca test kit yet, I'm throwing in a few spoons of GH booster as well, will probably be ordering some CaSO4 when I order a test kit. I was not expecting these params to drop as fast as they do, but apparently Halimeda is a hog for it, I'm thinking about adding a calcium reactor.

post #74 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

8 weeks

Added 8 Green Chromis and a Pygmy Angelfish

post #75 of 155 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
amazing colours

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode