JakeJ's 20g low tech Convict aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
JakeJ's 20g low tech Convict aquarium

Hello, I am new to planted tanks and aquariums in genral. This is my first planted tank and I am loving the hobby!!! So now to the tank specs.
Aqaurium: 20gallon high from Petsmart
filter: Tetra Whisper 30i internal filter
Heater: Tetra whisper heater
Subtrate: aquarium gravel
Plants: Java moss and dieing java fern
Fish: Convict Cichlids
Lighting: 1, 17 watt florecent tube !Will upgrade soon!
Other decor: lots of slate
Do I need more lighting even if I only have Java moss, Fern, and anubias? Also, does anybody know why my Java fern is looking so bad? I got them from Petsmart even though they didnt look good, at all. Is their any way of saving them? I regularly dose Leaf Zone, liquid fertilizer, should I dose other ferts too? Comments, suggestions and criticizems are appreciated! Sorry about the bad pics, I havent gotten use to aquarium photography! Thanks in advance,
JakeJ

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Last edited by RipariumGuy; 12-21-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Another question. With my lighting, how long should I have the lights on?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Your java fern may have been grown emersed, and they may be adjusting to submersed form right now. The chain petstores arent known for their plant husbandry, so just give them some time to settle into your tank. Update if they get worse.

You have less than 1 wpg. Your plants should be ok, but dont expect much growth out of them. If you want to keep your rocks algae-free, Id leave the lights on for no more than 8 hours a day.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Java Fern was in an aquarium when I got it so it was'nt grow emersed.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How do those convicts like that 20gH? I'm very tempted to get a pair myself if they are low maintainance. Nice tank BTW...I like the different sized gravel as that's what I'm going for in my next tank...I think.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Convicts do fine and are very low maintanance. In the four or five months I have had them, I have had three or four batchs of fry! Though I have never raised them. For the subtrate I got a big bag of normal aquarium gravel and added some dollar store bags of river rocks.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great to know...I'll definitely consider a few for my old 29 then...

Thanks!

kENNY
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

How do I change the wattage of my light??? do I change the tube or do I have to get a new light fixture?

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You have to get a new fixture....I think yours is T8...but if you want better, look around for light fixtures call T5's....they are great...so I hear.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
dont mean to be "that guy" but all those convict in a 20g is pretty cruel. Keeping just one in there would be fine but with what youve got going right now your bound to have some serious aggression
i tried keeping 3 juvies in a 20 way back in the day. 2 were beat to near death
i like the look of the tank so far though its gunna look good grown out

post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Its OK that you where "That Guy" Kyle. I was really REALLY stupid when I got six them. I am trying to think of a way to get rid of four of them ASAP so I would have only one breeding pair but havent thought of a way yet. Thanks though! By the way I tried to recreate their natural enviroment (Centeral Ameirican river) in the aquarium scape.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Convicts... they can live in mud! The hardiest fish Ive ever had. Im surprised they are not tearing up all the plants. the problem with convicts is actually keeping them from spawining rather than breeding them.

Whoever made rabbits popular for their breeding habits never saw convict cichlids. If you keep a breeding pair only they will raise the fry for months, you will end up with tons of little cichlids
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Does anybody know of a cheap light fixture???

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks DemonBreeder16! By the way the java fern is getting worse ever since I got it.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Last edited by RipariumGuy; 09-28-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Tags
20gallon, cichlids, java fern

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode