13.3 gal Mr Aqua - First Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
13.3 gal Mr Aqua - First Tank

Hi everyone!!
I'm new in this hobby, and this will be my first planted aquarium. I've read a lot of articles about lighting, ferts, filters, fish and plants, etc... and after a couple of months I've decided to start my own tank.

This is the list of the materials I have so far:

Equipment:
-13.3 gal Mr Aqua Bow Front
-Mr Aqua mat
-30 inch Finnex 24/7
- Sunsun 603-B (Filter)
- I'm replacing the orginal sponges with some Fluval ceramic rings and still deciding: bio balls or some ADA Bio-rio???
-GLA lily pipes - I will order them soon
-GLA atomic CO2 diffuser
-GLA V2 regulator
-24 oz CO2 tank (Paintball)
-Fluval bubble counter
-ADA check valve
-Need to look for a good heater

Layout Materials
-ADA yamaya stone
-ADA kei stone
-ADA Horn Wood

Substrate:
- ADA amazonia 9L (x2)
- ADA Powersand Special 2L

Plants, so far :
-Monte Carlo
-HC

Fauna
-I'm planning on having some amano shrimps and some ember tetras

I will try the DSM in order to grow a nice carpet which will be (hopefully) a nice mix of Monte carlo and HC. For the back ground I still don't know what plants to get since I'm not completely sure I want that layout. I'm attaching a picture of my current layout hoping you guys can give me some suggestions.

I hope you guys can guide me and help me! I will appreciate it! Positive suggestions, recommendations, or opinions are welcome!!! I'll be posting more pictures soon !!!

Some new pictures of the materials !! I hope you guys can help me to deciding on what media to use in my filter ADA Bio-rio or just regular bioballs.

ADA Powersand special

ADA Amazonia- 2 9L bags

GLA CO2 Diffuser - Fluval bubble counter

GLA V2 Regulator

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	523761  

Last edited by mrvn; 10-01-2015 at 03:27 AM. Reason: New Pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Nice start ! Can't wait to see ur tank reach its maximum potential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The hardscape looks super promising! Personally, I like my stones to have a lot of personality and these are on the more subtle side, but with your dramatic driftwood, you should be fine. Great start.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!! Tomorrow I have some plants coming. I'll be posting some updates as soon as they arrive.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Better off/w the Stingray. The 24/7 is too potent so you will use it without the ramp timer
so that you can use the dimmer. Why pay extra for a dimmer when the stingray has better color A and you can add a $10 dimmer to it.
But ...what is the height of your tank? @ 16" the Stingray has 30 PAR which is not
med and I think you want a bit more than med. light.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think the height of my tank is almost 12 inches

Bump: I change a little my layout and this is how it looks after planting some Monte Carlo and some HC. I covered the tank with some cling wrap to keep a high humidity for my DSM. I still need to find a stand for my light because it can't be placed on the top of the tank since the horn wood is on it's way as you can see.

I have the rest of the plants coming early next week so I'll be posting some updates as soon as I get them!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm back again after running into an algae problem during my DSM. I don't know why most of the HC got covered by algae so I had to order some more. I filled my tank one week ago and here are some new pictures with more plants

Can someone tell me why a lot of my new HC looks like this?

One more thing, is it normal for my water to look like this on the top?

I'll be posting more pictures soon!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After running the Sunsun filter in my tank for around 3 weeks I realized that I need more flow. So, I was wondering if any of you guys can help me choose a new filter. I'm trying no to spend too much money so a filter under 200 would be perfect!!!

-Thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Surface film. inhave always thought it was primarily oils from your hands and arms. But my big tank gets this in my sump as well. Seems to be floaty proteins and waste.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
mrvn, couldn't you just upgrade the external pump on the Sun Sun? If I were doing it on the cheap that's the route I would go, or I'd look into a larger GPH Eheim and plump the Sun Sun inline so that it was a mechanical 'pre filter' of sorts and the Eheim would serve as 100% bio media and a pump.

Would a power head suit your flow needs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
|||
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I would add a power head... Or get an eheim 2215 and adds in a 2217 impeller.., used it on my 60p... And I ran an eheim pro 3 on my 12 gallon long.. But te 2215 was just as good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finnex member #14
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi !! Thank you for the advice!!

Quote:
Or get an eheim 2215 and adds in a 2217 impeller
I was thinking on getting a Eheim 2213 or a Fluval G3 but after reading some reviews on the G3 I'm not sure anymore. What do you guys think?

Quote:
couldn't you just upgrade the external pump on the Sun Sun?
I'm not sure what external pump fits the sunsun filter. I don't really like the idea of putting a powerhead in the thank since it will take too much space.

Last edited by mrvn; 10-26-2015 at 04:41 AM. Reason: .
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wish I could give you more info on the 2213 as I have one, but it's been sitting for 2 months pending my collection of plants for my dry start which will take even more time...

I agree on the power head logic, if you don't have the space to fit it without it taking up real estate or it being an eyesore to you, skip it. I'd still keep the sun sun you have and just use it as a prefilter to a higher GPH canister. Why do you think you need more flow? Because of the protein film? Why don't you just raise the output of the lily pipe a bit to break the surface tension and up your CO2?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I needed more flow because I wasn't getting enough water movement in some parts of the tank. However after installing a Eheim 2213 the problem was solved!
My problem now is some sort of white, grey algae on some parts of my driftwood. In the past 4 days I started to get some green algae in the driftwood, so I started to dose some H2O2 (2ml per gallon everyday) and after 4 days almost all the algae is gone but the white one. Does any of you guys know how to eliminate it?

-Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode