Fluval Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Foxtopus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec V

Hi! It's been a few years since I've had an aquarium and I always found it very soothing (prone to high anxiety and stress). I've had a rough couple of weeks and decided I wanted a little one for my bedroom.

I decided on the fluval spec V, I got a good deal on it from amazon prime! I know I wanted to have live plants, but the inhabitants were up in the air.
I used Carib Sea crystal river sand and a fluval 25 watt heater which fit perfectly in the divided part with the pump.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...522857&thumb=1

I am pretty sure these broad leaf plants are not aquatic I purchased them from petsmart. Along with a windelov java fern and 3 nerite snails. Not sure what to do with them at this point.

The first day or so the nerites didn't move at all and I was afraid they died right away. I used API tap water conditioner. It is the only thing I have added to the water.

Two of them are roaming around now, one is not. I am not sure if he is dead yet... I will give him a little more time.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...522873&thumb=1

I wasn't sure if I wanted shrimp, a small group of tiny fish or a betta. So I went looking at a few local shops. I found this very pretty betta. I decided to go with him. He is pretty aggressive though so I doubt I could add any shrimp or other fish.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...522865&thumb=1

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...522881&thumb=1

The problems I have encountered so far are:
1. The water level. The house I live in is old and the floor is uneven in some spots. I am planning on moving it tomorrow while doing a large water change

2. Mr. Fish can see himself in the reflection, all the time, and seems to be always fighting with himself. I have some rice paper window film, I am going to try it on the background and see if it helps.

3. I want more plants and some mosses. The lighting is LED, so I am assuming I will need all low light plants. I am thinking just a lot of java fern and java moss. IF I end up adding a lot of them, will I need any kind of fertilizer or better lighting? I wanted to kind of stick with the basic kit.

The flow on the pump is really strong. Right now it's on high, so I think tomorrow during the water change/move I am going to turn it to the lowest setting. Mr. Fish only has a few spots right now to hang out where he doesn't have to fight the currant.

I purchased algae wafers for the snails since I have no algae yet. But the water here is very soft so I sprung for some "crab cuisine" pellets. I read that they have calcium and it's good for their shells. I really love nerites and might add a few more later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12041895_10153634563071798_1355133945_n.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	522857  

Name:	12042148_10153634563256798_407830008_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	522865  

Name:	12047699_10153634563036798_2027414415_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	522873  

Name:	12063908_10153634563081798_48064459_n.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	522881  

smug vic and smug vic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 12:46 PM
Algae Grower

Check out this site, it is super useful. I'm using it to set up my spec v as well. http://spec-tanks.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello and welcome to TPT!
The Spec V was my first tank (this past decade anyway) as well, and I read up everything that Spec-Tanks had on it. Then I found this forum

1. Yes, you can move it, or shim the stand that it is now on if you prefer the current position.

2. I found a light or whitish background helpful for this problem. I think you're on the right track.

3. Java moss and Java Fern will do well with the lighting in your tank. Anubias will be fine too. Ferts- possibly need them yes. Java fern benefits from ferts, there's a thread on this particular plant "I've had it with Java Fern" IIRC.

If your water is very soft it means there's lack of minerals. The Java Fern will show up deficiencies most likely. Would benefit from adding something like Seachem Equilibrium to your water. It has potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese. Soluble. All minerals that plants and fish could use. Also the first deficiencies to show up.

Your nerites will definitely want the minerals, what's in the food will not be enough. Need to add it to the water. I know, I've killed three before realizing the water was the problem. Boo me. We have soft water here too, TDS 20-25 and slightly acidic from the tap.

4. The flow, yes dial it to the lowest setting. Good luck with pulling the powerhead out. Then direct the outflow up and to the side, you'll get less film that way and better gas exchange at the surface.

Have fun with this and good luck.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode