zeldar's 10gallon rotala madness (rescaped on 12/18) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
zeldar's 10gallon rotala madness (rescaped on 12/18)

Alright, I have spent the last two hours trying to figure out how to take pictures and upload them to this thread. This is honestly the first time I have used a camera in 15 years. Bear with me, I hope these pics get posted correctly.

Anyway, this is my first planted tank. It is a standard 10gallon with a cheap hood that has two screw in light fixtures. I started this tank on July 31st and the tank finished cycling a couple weeks ago since my filter was running on another tank for a couple months. Its obviously my first time with Aquasoil and its stillllll leaking tannins. The water stays pretty yellow, the pics are clear because I just drained it to add some more plants and stones and then refilled it. I have been looking for good aquascaping stones forever and finally got some from Jiddle here on SnS. I really like the stones, they aren't ADA but they look like it and I didn't have to pay the ADA price. Just today I put 10 of my RCS and 2 amanos in the tank so hopefully they will do alright. Anyway, let me get to the specs.

Tank: 10gallon with 2 screw in light hood
Light: 2x 26watt 6700k daylight CF
Filter: AquaClear 20
CO2: Hagen DIY canister with DIY bubble counter and glass mini diffuser. Going to start lightly dosing Excel to help since I only get about 15 bpm with the DIY co2
Ferts: Flourish NPK, Pfertz Micro
Substrate: ADA Amazonia I
Hardscape: stones similar to ryuoh/seiryu
Plants: HC, Riccia, HM, dwarf hairgrass, lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Fauna: presently has 10 RCS and 2 amanos, will soon add 5 S+ CRS and 5 CBS, also add 10 boraras brigittae and either a nerite or assassin snail

My HM died off quite a bit since I took it out to rescape. So the pics you can't see it at all but it will be in front of the stones, so I'll keep it trimmed pretty low. The HC has only been in the tank less than a week. As you can see the Riccia has been in there a while and is growing like crazy. I know its not a true iwagumi since I have so many plant types but oh well I'll see where this tank goes and make changes if needed. Let me know what ya'll think I should do to make the tank better. Any suggestions and critiques are appreciated. Now to the pics.

full tank shot

Left side

Right side

Side view

RCS pic

Last edited by zeldar; 12-19-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Good start but I'd get one really big rock and have that be in the middle. And not have all 3 point in 3 different directions.

Right now it looks a little disjointed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea your right mistergreen, they do look a little small. What about adding some aquasoil to make it the stones sit on a hill? how should I position the stones? they don't look natural to me

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
the main problem is the size of the stones. They all are the same size, roughly. You need a big, medium, and small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
you could bury them at various heights to get the small med large look also
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea I'll have to play around with them when I get off work.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i changed the rocks slightly last night. I tilted the rock on the left more flat, and tilted the main stone to the left. The right stone is at about the same angle but burried it more in the substrate so its a little shorter. There was a dead space in the middle of the rocks so I placed a small rock in the back to kinda fill the gap. I think it looks a little better, still not totally pleased though. I'll try to get some pics up soon.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
killer rock
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sweet riccia!
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
This is a cool tank!
I like all the riccia. Very pretty.

+2 on bigger rocks though.
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I couldn't take it anymore. I took the two rocks on the left out of the tank and replaced them with a large center stone and medium sized stone. I'll get some pics up this weekend.

The stone on the right from the pic above is now in my 2.5gallon that I set up yesterday. It looks more at home in there.

I'll have to trim the riccia this weekend, but other than that not too much growth. The brazilian micro and DHG grew a tiny bit. As for the HC, I haven't noticed any growth or new runners. Does it just take a little time to establish?
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Time for a couple updated pics. Changed two rocks for a couple bigger ones. I think the new rocks make the scale seem better.

As you can see, water is pretty yellow. Its been over a month and a half and still leeching tannins. Its getting old. I can't do daily waterchanges anymore because the shrimp don't seem to like it. I've lost two cherries and the water parameters are fine so I'm blaming it on all the constant waterchanges. Alright pic time.

full tank shot

close up on new rocks

HC
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I guess since my tank is not ADA, no one wants to comment...
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The riccia is coming a long nicely, and yes, HC does take a while to get established, IME. I like it better than the first setup, but it's still kind of... plain.

Maybe it's just me. I'm getting kind of tired of iwagumi setups - they're all starting to look the same to me.

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well thanks alot haha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode