36 bowfront Angel tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
36 bowfront Angel tank

This is my wife's 36 gallon bowfront tank with her pair of lesbian freshwater Angel fish. Other inhabitants include a male and female albino bushy nose pleco and a single khuli loach who couldn't resist living in my canister filter and was moved to this tank from the 55g. I'm looking to get rid of the angels so we can turn the tank into something a bit more interesting to look at, like a couple sets of German Blue/Gold Rams or maybe a change into Discus.

This tank is the epitome of low tech. No ferts and water changes every other week whether it needs it or not. The BBA on the amazon leaf is from it's time spent in a tank with DIY Co2, it isn't spreading so I have left the leaf alone.

Plants:
Amazon swords (2 mother plants and babies)
Java Fern
Hydrocotyle

Substrate:
Eco complete mixed 2-1 with inert gravel

Light:
40 watts T12
36 watts T5

Filtration:
AQ 70
AQ 20

Ferts:
Nadda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
That looks nice. Perfect look for an angelfish tank.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yes lots of things for them to lay eggs on and pick at. I just wish they weren't so aggressive so I could add some other fish to the mix.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Great looking tank, but it is too small for discus. It'll be borderline too small for these angels within a year, IMO. I do think that your scape makes the tank more suitable for angels than it otherwise would be for the size.

65 gallon journal:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

how big does the tank need to be for them?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i have six discus in a 55 gallon. Jack W. says that 8-10 gallons per discus. hell i know a guy who has 5 in a 20 long and they are full grown. i would say your tank is big enough for at least 3 with maybe a group of cardinals to top it off. happy fish keeping i love discus they are amazing
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverockssocks View Post
how big does the tank need to be for them?
For Angels? I don't know. Need is a strong word. I know people breed them in 10 and 15 gallon tanks. They get to be fairly big fish, and part of their allure is their regal appearance. I think that is best shown in something like a 55, but that's not to say that you can't keep 2 non-breeding angels in a 35. They don't look cramped in that picture, and the way you have scaped it allows for natural hiding spots for a tall skinny fish like an angel.

65 gallon journal:

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well they do "breed" but the eggs are infertile and then they eat them anyway (yay free food!). They do beat up on each other periodically before laying eggs but can always get away from each other.

They're both terrified of the male ABN that is in the tank for reasons I can't begin to understand.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode