Paludarium build - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paludarium build

Hello everyone, today I am going to share my journal for my paludarium build. I am fairly new to the hobby and really didn't know where to start so I went to my LFS and I bought a 55 gallon long I bought some Cichlids and some stuff to decorate which as you all know is very pricey at LFS.

I then started to go online and see all the different setups out there and I got this itch to start doing different tanks I wanted a planted tank and seeing as Cichlids tend to uproot plants I had to get a new tank...Craigslist here I come. As I browsed all the listings most people were over priced Then I found one at an auction $10 a steal for another 55 long. The planted tank went through some transformations and I finally found how I wanted it, It didn't stop there as most of you know once you start in the hobby you usually can't stop. I wanted to find something new that I have never seen before and I found a Paludarium...Remember I am new and older so I didn't know these existed. As I looked through all the different styles of paludariums I found myself really wanting to build this. I spent many days and nights trying to come up with a nice design and found myself overthinking the whole idea, mind you in my head I was thinking grand ideas but then putting it to paper and actually doing it was more complex and pricey. I decided that my first should be simple and learn from the mistakes before I start making a grand paludarium that would take up my whole living room.. Girlfriend was not going to have that.. so I started out by thinking what size tank and what do I want the land mass made out of, do I use natural stuff like rocks and branches or go with a synthetic style and use styrofoam and just cement it and color it. I went to Petco they had $1/gallon sale and I got the 40 gallon breeder, now that I have it I should have went bigger, but for now it would do. I actually started out with the styrofoam. I went to my Home Depot and got two large sheets of styrofoam insulation about $5 per sheet not bad.
Now was the task of how I wanted to cut it and the best way to cut it. I started out with using a knife and torch and started cutting out the design. It started out looking great I got all the styrofoam cut and I started to piece it together. I siliconed with Ge II 100% silicone and made sure everything fit.. And it fits so now I wanted to shape the land...but how..

I thought a waterfall maybe a stream so I went with a spring I built up the styrofoam to look like a mountain side with a cave in it that I could have the water running out and into a brook that went into the main water portion.

I siliconed it in and it started to look very promising so now I needed to cement the foam to seal it. I used a cement paste that's used for patching which actually was a bad idea I will go into that later.

I put some rocks in it to add some depth and realness to it,
its starting to come to fruition and look really nice. At this point I wanted to do a water test to see how it would stand up and see how the water would flow.
A trickle not very pleasing but it worked that's the main thing right now. Now on to painting it.
I got some paint so I could make it look more realistic and after I painted it I realized that I would have to seal that in as well, which means more silicone.

I started to silicone it all over I noticed it would clump up and wouldn't be completely clear but i figured I’m going to have substrate there so it shouldn't matter.
I got some cork wood from my local hobby store to use as the side
and just used another piece of foam for the background.
I took the torch and started to make the background look like a cliff side with some crevices painted it and siliconed that.

So now I have my land mass, sides and background I was trying to figure out how to get the water to come out of the spring I ran rubber tubing from the top of the spring all the way underneath the foam land and figured I'll just put a small pump in there, that looked awful so I figured I would just run intake to it from my filter. but first I wanted to get the whole thing secured to the bottom so I siliconed it in and waited about 4 days before I started to put my substrate in.
I used Floramax as my bottom layer and then put black diamond blasting sand which is where it is at right now, I think i'm going to put small pebbles over that but I’m getting ahead of myself I wanted to first find out what plants I wanted. I still have not yet determined what plants to use, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
First I wanted to get my light system going this is something I was toying with since the beginning do I buy lights, what's the best light so on and so on I started to find DIY ideas for lights and came across an idea to use LED hang down lights so I went on Ebay and found some cheap 9w and then I found some GU10 sockets to fit the lights and wired it all up to see if I could get it to work and with no hesitation it is illuminating...Nice I might have a knack for electrician work but that's for another forum.
I wanted to make a canopy for it I thought about making a wood one then I was looking at the styrofoam it came to me I could piece it all together paint it and add the lights into it.
Once I got the holes cut into place where I wanted my lights
I siliconed the sockets in then I put the lights in and tested it before I siliconed all the wires into place in the grooves that I cut out.
We have light I put two blue LED’s in the middle and 8 soft white all around them. After I made this i decided to put some red LED strip lights in around the edge.
Now that I know it works its time to silicone them all into place and start putting together the rest of the canopy.
I have plenty of light so then it was time to paint it. (as you can see in the picture I had the pump in the tank for the spring and the tube and that pump just looked so ugly and would be really hard to hide)
Now that it's painted it's time to start working on the tank again. I put some plants from my planted tank into it just to try and see what would look best. I put some moss on the background and around the cork wood I also bought some creeping Jenny to help fill out the land portion and I put a piece of moneywort in and Anubias barteri var. nana.

I have been filtering out the water every three days in case there happens to be anything that was leaching out.
I wanted to make my own canister filter but that turned out to be a failure so I'm now waiting to get more money to just buy one. Thats where Im at right now check back for when I get to put fish in it and my terrestrial creatures. I couldn't put very many pictures so you can check out the videos that I put on Youtube that shows all my tanks and the build process at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLS...qdmG-vf8XYAgRQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (55).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	521217  

Name:	Screenshot (60).jpg
Views:	230
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	521225  

Name:	Screenshot (66).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	521233  

Name:	Screenshot (69).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	521241  

Name:	Screenshot (72).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	521249  

Name:	Screenshot (83).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	521257  

Name:	0908151755a.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	521265  

Name:	0917151832a.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	521337  

Last edited by AzAquariumPlantsNFish; 09-23-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: no picture for what I wrote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

some more pictures. Also any ideas on plants and or what fish and land creatures would be best for this setup. I wanted to do frogs but I think I have too much water unless I put things in the water so they can climb out if they do go in but I think I need more land for them so any suggestions is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0908151755.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	521649  

Name:	0908151755c.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	521657  

Name:	0905151326a.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	521665  

Name:	0908151756.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	521673  

Name:	0908151755b.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	521681  

Name:	0908151757.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	521689  

Name:	Screenshot (81).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	521697  

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Whoa really cool design here. I love the flowing water idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Indeed quite a first undertaking. Looks REALLY cool!

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Whoa really cool design here. I love the flowing water idea.
Thanks! Yeah I wanted to give it the presence of being like a real spring and have it go through natural cycles and it does really good at surface agitation to oxygenate it. I was thinking of putting a drip system in along the background and that would help in keeping the water level the same but that might be down the road. I just want to get some fauna and flora going first and maybe get another tank and do the modifications that I wanted to do on this one on that one.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!!!! I added a red claw crab and I put in my fog machine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-29-09-37-18.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	523513  

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-29-09-38-56.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	523521  

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-29-09-37-34.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	523529  

Last edited by AzAquariumPlantsNFish; 10-13-2015 at 07:57 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got my fish into my tank today I have 5 neon tetras and 4 golden white cloud minnows. I'm still looking for ideas on plants in the water and on land i don't have a lot of room for many but I want more then just moss. It needs to be small species and does well in humid climate. Please help if there is anyone who is even looking at this journal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6476.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	528890  

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau~
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Whoa! That looks great!

Could you post an updated full tank shot?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There is someone in the for sale section right now trying to downsize on total tanks
and he has Buce and Mini Buce for sale.
That's a great tank especially for a first attempt on a Paludarium.
There is a tiny frog that would not mind the small size of the land as they are often
found out on top of the water(near the shore) sitting on some leaf or other floating
spot of solid enough to support it type plant etc. Just don't know if they range that far north. One of the chorus frogs is all I really know. Some kind of "Peeper" in the name.
This plant is common in damp next to the stream places. Seems to want dirt or plant fiber to grow on.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=56610

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Whoa! That looks great!

Could you post an updated full tank shot?
I will I had to do some modifications to it. And I just got a bloom of algae I have to take care of. Probably in a couple of days I will update the pictures of the tank.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau~
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
nice setup, cool to see other AZ people on here.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Algae Grower

Neat idea! Diggin the tank, and I too look forward to a full tank shot when you get the chance

Current tanks: 36g bow (glass suddenly cracked, calamity ensued), 65g (Brand new! Would enjoy, welcome, and appreciate any and all info you could think of sharing with someone who's very new to this, but very excited to learn.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think pearl weed, which is regular baby tears iirc, would do great in that tank. I pretty sure both the submerged and emerged growth would look great. It is really common near lakes down here in Florida. I think the anubias is a good start. I would be tempted to get some bog plants in here. I don't know much about bog plants, but give them a search. They would really be quite the addition. Maybe some lily pads? They are great looking in a setup like this.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This looks very interesting.

Ludwigia repens and bacopa species can both be grown emersed or submersed.

~Alex
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for the advice on some flora. I will put a picture up later today when I get home from work. I have a baby due any day now so I haven't really had time to do anything to it yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get some good flora to put in there, that's if the baby can hold off coming for a couple more days (just don't tell the girlfriend that...Lol)

~Henry David Thoreau~

Tags
fish, freshwater, paludarium, plants, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode