Riccardia, Monte, Fissidens. "Diving Deep" - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Riccardia, Monte, Fissidens. "Diving Deep"

Recently did a large rescape on my tank. 2 weeks after 75% rescape. Monte Carlo carpeted in 2 weeks! Such an awesome easy plant to use! Plant List: Cyprus helferi, Blyxa japonica, Riccardia (mini pellia), Staurogyne repens, Monte Carlo, Fissidens fontanus moss, dwarf sagittaria, java moss, Hydro sp. Japan, Potamogeton Gayi, Anubias nana petite, Micro Sword.

I decided to go back to using LEDs and am actually getting faster growth and higher PAR because they are right on top of the tank. I am using a Finnex Ray II and Ecoxotic E-series. The E-series allows for pretty decent color rendering. Great combo to use so far. The reds in the fish and plants look pretty good, and the fish and plants still look rich in color. Of course it helps to already have a mature tank when increasing your light.

ADU Dragon Stone, ADA La Plata/Colorado sand mix. Manzanita branches. Marfied Controsoil. Minimal dosing of DIY fert solutions and Aquavitro. CO2 at 2bps. pH: 6.6, Alkalinity: 3 (potassium bicarbonate buffer), GH: 7, Temperature: 76 degrees.

skoram, skoram, Hetzer and 11 others like this.

Keep your sleeves wet!

Last edited by DaveFish; 10-01-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: better photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
wow great looking scape.

im not sure if its the picture , but are you growing another carpet in the sand bed on the right side .. I see hints of green .
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Awesome !!!
Can you furnish tank dimensions?
Don't know which plants I can match to their names as only some of those names I familiar/w, but I'll guess it's Blyxa at the upper left/w the redish tips, but if I'm wrong on that it's secondary as the one just under it is my curiosity. Would that be the Riccardia?
You see a plant you like the looks of and while wondering if it'll work in your tank you
need to be sure on it's name to be able to ask about it.
I've been fairly successful/w Fissidens F. and happen to know they trim very well as
they will get overly long. I just like to have an air line size piece of hose siphoning
into a 5g bucket while I do it to remove the trimmings or I'll have them starting all over
the tank if I don't.
I think the tank all blends in very well but I'll admit I'm partial to the smaller leaved plants because of keeping 10g tanks.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Beautiful tank! What size tank is it?
I bet a little group of smaller species Corydoras would look very complimenting hanging out on the sand bank.

You trying for that really red/purple Blyxa planted higher up? How do you have it planted that high up?

Nice driftwood as well.

Are you the one on Youtube that I've seen videos of (ADU aquascaping), if so, would be nice if you could do a short video just displaying the tank's brilliance.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenityfate View Post
wow great looking scape.

im not sure if its the picture , but are you growing another carpet in the sand bed on the right side .. I see hints of green .
haha, just some reflection and slight dust algae on the sand.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Awesome !!!
Can you furnish tank dimensions?
Don't know which plants I can match to their names as only some of those names I familiar/w, but I'll guess it's Blyxa at the upper left/w the redish tips, but if I'm wrong on that it's secondary as the one just under it is my curiosity. Would that be the Riccardia?
You see a plant you like the looks of and while wondering if it'll work in your tank you
need to be sure on it's name to be able to ask about it.
I've been fairly successful/w Fissidens F. and happen to know they trim very well as
they will get overly long. I just like to have an air line size piece of hose siphoning
into a 5g bucket while I do it to remove the trimmings or I'll have them starting all over
the tank if I don't.
I think the tank all blends in very well but I'll admit I'm partial to the smaller leaved plants because of keeping 10g tanks.
The tank is a 40 breeder 36"x18"x17". Yes, you are correct about the plants. Blyxa on top left with red tips, Riccardia below. I agree, I love to use the siphon technique with moss. Can be such a pain to trim, but so worth it! Same goes for DHG, that stuff gets everywhere, but isn't as worth it as Fissidens!! LOL

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Beautiful tank! What size tank is it?
I bet a little group of smaller species Corydoras would look very complimenting hanging out on the sand bank.

You trying for that really red/purple Blyxa planted higher up? How do you have it planted that high up?

Nice driftwood as well.

Are you the one on Youtube that I've seen videos of (ADU aquascaping), if so, would be nice if you could do a short video just displaying the tank's brilliance.
It is a 40 breeder 36"x18"x17". Yes! I have been thinking that very thing. I need to get a school of Cory cats! I probably will. Well I just liked the placement of the blyxa in that spot to fit the shape of the scape, but yes it always seems to get red tips, which I am not complaining. Draws the eye in to the start of the golden spiral with this scape shape, so helps the overall flow I assume. I have everything, including the dome rock of Riccardia on top of lava rubble, that way the scape keeps its shape. I then build up a slope at the back with Controsoil. Of course there has been some settling, but the height and growth of the Blyxa compensate for the settling. Lava rubble helps the hardscape and soil to keep their shape. As well the Manzanita branches touch all the way to the bottom of the tank so they keep their shape. Thanks for checking out the journal.

Keep your sleeves wet!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 PM
bk.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
This is just plain awesome!!! Fantastic scape. I would love to have a scape just like this someday.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
how did you plant your monte carlo? i just planted some Sunday night. hoping it does it's thing soon, but too soon to tell.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk. View Post
This is just plain awesome!!! Fantastic scape. I would love to have a scape just like this someday.
Thanks, it is turning out to be a pretty fun tank. Just keep going. I definitely did not have beginners luck, and have progressively gotten better. I spent a lot of time fighting algae, and learning the design aspect to aquascaping.
bk. and bk. like this.

Keep your sleeves wet!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Awesome. Very well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
I definitely did not have beginners luck, and have progressively gotten better. I spent a lot of time fighting algae, and learning the design aspect to aquascaping.
Same here lol. Always getting better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by terran2k View Post
how did you plant your monte carlo? i just planted some Sunday night. hoping it does it's thing soon, but too soon to tell.
I rip it up into individual stems. Whether they are upside down or rightside up it doesn't matter, considering it grows all crazy... Just plant each individual stem. This was the fastest I ever carpeted something. It is basically filled in after 17 days. I am surprised myself, but an easy plant to work with.

Keep your sleeves wet!

Last edited by DaveFish; 09-24-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: more
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
what a stunning tank! looks really great!

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Really awesome layout. Got any pics of the hardscape before plants?

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
what a stunning tank! looks really great!
Thanks for checking out the journal.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Really awesome layout. Got any pics of the hardscape before plants?
Thanks, glad you like it. I do have this video that shows what the hardscape looked like at the very beginning. This hardscape has actually been through 4 different morphs so far. So I guess it shows how far a hardscape can go. I initially had so many different ideas and scapes in mind, so I just did all 4 over a period of time. Here is a link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9pdtMnndJQ

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
Awesome. Very well done

Same here lol. Always getting better
Thanks, glad you like it. It is better that way. Now we know more and can handle the tank. Beginners luck is sometimes a curse because later on down the road when you get Spirogyra algae you might start crying. LOL
burr740 and burr740 like this.

Last edited by DaveFish; 09-24-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: more
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Awesome tank! I'm working on a scape with similar plants/layout. Any tips on getting fissidens to grow like that?

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk

ROAK Club Member #141
|~|
|~|
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptop View Post
Awesome tank! I'm working on a scape with similar plants/layout. Any tips on getting fissidens to grow like that?

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I just super glue it on the wood and don't touch it or trim it if you want it to grow really thick or in a mound. Of course trim if you want to keep it low. Most of the time it needs not trimming, and same goes for the Riccardia. Not need to trim it. Hope this helps.
Tiptop and Tiptop like this.

Tags
aquascaping, dragon+stone, led aquarium lights, monte+carlo, riccardia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in