New Nano Tank Setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up New Nano Tank Setup

hi everybody,

Yesterday I have completed a planted aquarium setup for my Fluval Chi 5g tank.

Here you can see the results:
Moments after setup.

Photos of next morning:

Some details on the setup:
  • Fluorite Black Sand substrate. Was very dusty. Washed it thoroughly for about 1 hour.
  • Seachem Flourish Tabs. 4 tabs pushed into the gravel.
  • Marineland C-160 Canister Filter. Seems to be an overkill, but it cleans the water really well. Later on will replace inflow and outflow with smaller diameter, and might also put a valve to reduce the outflow rate.
  • Fertilizers: Seachem Equilibrium, Seachem Flourish, Seachem Flourish Excel. Will also use Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) and Potassium Mono Phosphate (KH2PO4) as they arrive.

Planning to put 1 beta and maybe a shrimp and a snail.

I used a water from my previous setup. It has following parameters: Ammonia=0.25, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=10. ph seems high 8.2. Can you recommend on the parameters. What should I do next to correct? Should i reduce the pH or the substrate will get it reduced on its own?

Thanks,
Ruben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That looks awesome I love nano tanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Planted Member

Very nice! Betta might kill the shrimp, though.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:42 AM
Planted Member

It will look nice when it clears up ... man I need to get some rocks
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Valarios
pretty legit looking nano, gonna look killer when it grows in
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for the feedback!

How about regarding the pH? Should I lower it artificially? My tap water also shows ph=8.2.

Also, how important is dechlorination? Should it be done separately before pouring the water into the tank, or it can be done right inside the tank?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
Very nice! Betta might kill the shrimp, though.
Can you recommend some other alternative that would live well with betta?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2015 View Post
It will look nice when it clears up ... man I need to get some rocks
Search for "ADA Aquascaping Seiryu Stone" in ebay. You will find many there for a good price.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
I like it! Really liking the purplish hue from the lights. Is that just how the light is or was this on purpose?

I would wait a little a while to see if pH goes down on its own though I don't think it will. Declorination is a must. Chlorine will kill your beneficial bacteria and possibly you livestock. I would recommend doing it before adding the water to the tank just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

I don't have a betta myself, I've just read about them. They have definite personalities according to those who do have them. Some are killers who don't allow others in their tank. Some are just fine as long as there is enough room. I'd guess that some type of snail would stand the best chance until you can figure out what type pf personality your betta has. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, Bettas are so varied when it comes to behaviour/personalities.

For snails, I personally like ramshorns and pond/bladder snails. As long as you don't over feed the tank the numbers don't go crazy. I have a betta tank with ramshorns, the betta ignores the snails. Another betta tank with pond snails, same thing. He tried to nibble once, that was it. I guess he realized the shell was too much trouble.

Possibly, Amano shrimp would be safe with a Betta, since these shrimp grow bigger than RCS or CRS types.

If the shrimp and snail are introduced to the tank before the Betta you might have better chance of success with integrating.

Your scape looks nice, good luck with livestock choices.

I'd leave the pH alone for now, let the tank do its thing for a few days then re-check. The seiryu stone can affect the water (increase hardness as far as I know, more of an issue with soft, acidic water).

How are you planning to cycle?

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 09-19-2015 at 07:17 PM. Reason: pH
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
I like it! Really liking the purplish hue from the lights. Is that just how the light is or was this on purpose?
The light has a bit of purplish hue, but not as much as it looks on the photo. The light is 8000K LED.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Yeah, Bettas are so varied when it comes to behaviour/personalities.

For snails, I personally like ramshorns and pond/bladder snails. As long as you don't over feed the tank the numbers don't go crazy. I have a betta tank with ramshorns, the betta ignores the snails. Another betta tank with pond snails, same thing. He tried to nibble once, that was it. I guess he realized the shell was too much trouble.

Possibly, Amano shrimp would be safe with a Betta, since these shrimp grow bigger than RCS or CRS types.

If the shrimp and snail are introduced to the tank before the Betta you might have better chance of success with integrating.

Your scape looks nice, good luck with livestock choices.

I'd leave the pH alone for now, let the tank do its thing for a few days then re-check. The seiryu stone can affect the water (increase hardness as far as I know, more of an issue with soft, acidic water).

How are you planning to cycle?
I will follow your suggestion regarding shrimps and snails.

I was going to do fishless cycling using Ace Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonia. Though, I used tank water from my previous setup which might already contain some live bacterias. Anyways I will add some ammonia today and will see how it works.

Bump: I see some issues with the tall stem plant (not sure about the name). You can see some rotting areas on the leaves. What is this caused by?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hi Ruben. Glad to hear you're doing fishless cycling.

I'm not sure what that stem plant is, it looks like the oldest, bottom leaves are getting old so they are getting dropped. Some plants do this esp when the lowest leaves get insufficient light as the top leaves start to shade them out. Sometimes it's due to deficiencies, sometimes it's just that they're still adapting to the new situation, like melting leaves. I suspect it's a degree of melt.

Personally I just leave them alone until water change or maintenance day, at which time I may remove some of the worst looking leaves. Any leaves that drop I remove during that day as well. They rot and add to the ammonia load. While not bad per se, in a tank that is overstocked, too much rotting vegetation may exceed the bacterial efficiency to convert this stuff to less harmful (to fish etc) nitrates.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I'd be careful about putting a Betta in that tank, those rocks are very rough and will shred betta fins. Shrimp and bettas usually means "lobster dinner" unless a very mellow fish and extreamly densely planted tank. Bettas are best solo, thoigh some get along with snails others eat small snails and eat the eyes of larger ones. I've read some Betta owners witnessed thier fish smashing nerites against the tanks repeatedly.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
Its normal for the ludwigia (I think its lidwigia) to eventually send out roots from lower nodes. Its also normal for it to be grown emersed commercially (keeps the grower from having to battle algae), so if you bought it at your lfs, you'll likely eventually loose all of the old leaves- but its not a big deal. Let it grow and eventually you can replant the tops and discard the old bottoms of the stems. You're hairgrass is also almost certainly grown emersed also and will also take a little time to adjust, a lot of the blades will turn brown, just be patient. You may also want to break it into smaller clumps, the more you break it up, the faster it will grow in.

I also think you've got anubias upfront - pull them up, their rhizome (the meaty horizontal part) will rot if it is buried, that needs to come out of the substrate. It's fine to leave the roots buried, just not the rhizome.

You may find that your blyza won't grow tall enough in a non CO2 set up to ever grow tall enough to see behind that rock... but you have plenty of time to ajust things as you figure out what will work for you.

This would be a great home for a beta, but I don't think, in a tank this small, shrimp would be able to survive with him. They'd be snacks..

The plural of anecdote is not data
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus View Post
Its normal for the ludwigia (I think its lidwigia) to eventually send out roots from lower nodes. Its also normal for it to be grown emersed commercially (keeps the grower from having to battle algae), so if you bought it at your lfs, you'll likely eventually loose all of the old leaves- but its not a big deal. Let it grow and eventually you can replant the tops and discard the old bottoms of the stems. You're hairgrass is also almost certainly grown emersed also and will also take a little time to adjust, a lot of the blades will turn brown, just be patient. You may also want to break it into smaller clumps, the more you break it up, the faster it will grow in.

I also think you've got anubias upfront - pull them up, their rhizome (the meaty horizontal part) will rot if it is buried, that needs to come out of the substrate. It's fine to leave the roots buried, just not the rhizome.

You may find that your blyza won't grow tall enough in a non CO2 set up to ever grow tall enough to see behind that rock... but you have plenty of time to ajust things as you figure out what will work for you.

This would be a great home for a beta, but I don't think, in a tank this small, shrimp would be able to survive with him. They'd be snacks..
Thanks for the comments. I have broken up hairgrass to smaller bunches. How long will it take to see them grow? At which point will I be able to trip and replant the hairgrass? I don't add CO2, but amd adding Seachem Excel daily.

Also took anubias out of the substrate. I put them in between rocks and into holes in them.

I'm not much worried about blyxa since that side of the aquarium is very well visible in the room. So dont need it to grow that tall to see it from the front.

I would ideally prefer to have a shrimp, snail and some "nice" fish. If not betta what other kind of fish would you suggest for my setup?

Bump: Regarding the cycling. I've added 15 drops of ammonia and no it is showing 4ppm. Nitrite is 0.25 and nitrate is 40. So if my tank is already cycle I should expect 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, is that correct?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode