JarHarms' 75G conundrum - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
JarHarms' 75G conundrum

I've been working (although slowly) on this 75G planted tank. I figured it time to start collecting some of the photos and info into my own journal thread. I'm no photographer.....so expect some blurry ones in here.

A birthday present to myself a new Aqueon (All Glass) 75G tank. 48" wide X 18" deep X 20" tall

I found the final location that I'll set this tank up in my living room. I have a one story ranch with a basement so I could easily check floor joist placement under this location. Plus I'm near an outside wall so I'll have no problems with floor support.

And there it sat while I have been spending time reading and asking others as many questions on planted tanks as I can possibly think of without frying my brain.

I did fill the tank in thirds over the course of a few days to check that the tank holds water fine without any surprises.

Last edited by JarHarms; 12-10-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I wanted a pretty sturdy stand with enough space to store all of the equipment out of sight. But I have never been a fan of the cheaper vaneer'ed particle board construction that seems to be the norm anymore. I figured that I would have to build what I was looking for.
So I searched and read up about intermediate_noob and BiscuitSlayer's 75G stand builds. I wanted the same stability and strength those seemed to offer. I ended up adding additional top space between the tank and the wall to cleanly run the inlet and outlet plumbing through. This put the top deck right at 48" wide and 24" deep. I wanted to avoid as much viable tubes and cords as possible and am planning to use those desktop cord pass throughs to run past the top deck.

A trip to the hardware store, borrowed miter saw, and a day later I had a stand frame.
I used a 2x6 top frame, 2x4 bottom frame, 2x4 legs and floaters, coated wood screws, and quick dry gorilla glue to firm up the joints.
I'll skin this in 1/4" and 1/2" oak plywood, oak trim, stained, and polyurethane coated.

The 2x4 uprights between the upper and lower frames are 18" which gives around 26 1/2" height inside the stand. This is just enough to clear the reactor length I was targeting as well as the CO2 tank I had picked up. The 10lb CO2 tank measured 22" from base to top of the tank valve. The Sumo premium regulator I'm using adds some extra height to the tank putting things at 23 1/2". The inside of the stand at to be at least this tall......plus some extra wiggle room.

The stand frame head-on.

The stand frame from the side.

Last edited by JarHarms; 10-22-2009 at 03:02 PM.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Very Good job on that stand!

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to take a crack at building an external CO2 reactor out of PVC. I splurged for the clear PVC for the main tube and some cool hanger mounts. The mounts turned out to be a great addition, plus the same size wraps around my in-line heater perfect enough to mount it next to the reactor.

The finished reactor.

Some cool hanger mounts I bought with the clear PVC, made by Clic.

I'm planning to run a 300w in-line heater on the outlet of this reactor.

I ended up building this with PVC cement I had around from the last plumbing job. Everything went together pretty well except having "less" luck on fusing the smaller acrylic tubes to the PVC. I tried twice, both ending in slight water seeping before deciding that PVC cement was not going to cut it.
In comes the Weld-On #16 made by IPS. This stuff is still pretty runny but it fuses PVC to arcylic so much better than PVC cement.

In hindsight:
I'd probably forgo the clear PVC as it's a novelty that wears off eventually, regular PVC will be just fine for future external reactors.
As I was building this reactor it seems that most have moved on to mazzi or needle wheel CO2 diffusion methods. I bought a RIO powerhead to play around with needle wheel CO2 eventually. The simplicity of the needle wheels may eventually replace my external reactor someday.

Last edited by JarHarms; 02-02-2010 at 01:17 PM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks good. That stand could hold a car on it without a creak. Those Hydor heaters rock too, keep my tanks stable despite my room getting quite cold at night.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been slacking (although due to planning a wedding) but the stand is skinned, trimmed, and stained. I'm putting the last few coats of polyurethane on it before brining it back into the house. I'm hoping that I can at least get substrate and water in the tank before winter kicks in full swing.

I ended up caulking the wood joints and painting the inside in a gloss white exterior paint. I figured that the gloss white would make things easy to see, might improve clean-up if needed, and would protect the wood from moisture. With the bottom all sealed up, I think the stand could contain some slight leaking in case any occur while I'm at work.
I also drilled some pass-through holes from the different sections in case I use a water level alarm later on.
Some cheap light bars were added in above the opening to help light the way.

Not sure what I'll do for a door yet. Either a single pull-away panel on magnet catches or a lift-up hinge of some sort.

Last edited by JarHarms; 10-23-2009 at 02:39 AM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice work on the stand! I like the look and how you are planning the interior to have plenty of room, plenty of light. This will make life easier down the road. The Clic supports are cool too.

As you seem to be doing a lot of research, how are your scape plans coming along?

Bill

[
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
It looks great. Very professional! You guys always amaze me!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
That came out looking great.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow, That stand is a thing o' beauty.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Very good DIY!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
man o man! you are on your game for sure. subscribed!

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind comments. Although I'm not much of a wood worker, I'm better with metals. My father is an antique refinisher so I get a few tips from him along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
As you seem to be doing a lot of research, how are your scape plans coming along? Bill
Funny you should say that. The technical stuff always comes easier to me than the creative stuff. I think the scaping will be the hardest part for me since this is my 1st planted tank.
I have a pretty decent piece of driftwood already soaking to waterlog and pull out excess tannins. I also have some nice manzantia pieces as well.
I have pressurized CO2 and have yet to pick out my lighting so I could go anywhere from slow growth to faster growth plants. My thought is to tend to the medium to slow plants so frequent trimming maintenance does not scare me away. I think that tends to happen to some people with too-grand of ideas and no experience to fall back on. I'd be happy in just getting some substrate in, a bunch of stem plants, and some fish before winter kicks in.

My plant plan is probably going to be simple while I'm getting the hang of it. I really want some nice foreground carpet plants. I have a list I started before buying any equipment.....I just have to find it again.

My original fish plan was a fairly large group of schoolers. I've always liked cardinal tetras and torpedo barbs. Lots of ottocats and red cherry shrimp. Possibly some discus because they seem to have some more colorful varieties now than I can remember they used to. Although I have a friend urging me to go with african's....but I'm not as comfortable with choosing tankmates and possible plant disturbance.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Hey Jarharms,

i have the same problem - the hardware is easy. Putting to gether a nice scape and figuring out how to keep it nice takes experience! Still learning and fighting algae my self!

Not sure what Africans your friend is suggesting. If he means rift lake cichlids... probably not a great choice for a planted tank. They are beautiful but you will need plants that can survive alkaline water and some pretty rough treatment from the fish. If he is talking about some of the african small barbs, they would be pretty. What ever you chose, do your homework on compatibility. I suspect it will look very nice!

Bill

[
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I believe he is thinking of the rift lake ones because he keeps saying they are so active. And this is what makes me think it is not a good choice for my situation. In the end I bet I'll stick to the cards or torpedos, some discus or angels, and the usual clean up crew. I always wanted to keep german rams because I think they are very pretty but they might be outside of my experience level right now. I figure a large school would be plenty active myself....at least enough to distract me while watching TV.

Figured I would list out my equipment thus far:
twin Ehiem 2217 canister filters - loaded with the supplied Eheim media
twin Eheim intake kits - added sponge intake covers
twin Eheim outlet kits - grafting on line-loc fittings instead of spraybar
DIY PVC manifold - ball valves, garden hose drain
10lbs C02 supply tank
Sumo premium CO2 regulator with bubble counter and solenoid
DIY external PVC reactor
Rio1000 power head - cut impeller to use as needle wheel to play around with
Elite 803 air pump and two 24" air curtain tubes - only at night
ETH 300watt heater
Catalina 3x54watt Solar lighting

On the list to gather yet:
20oz paintball CO2 tank and PB tank adapter - getting the 10lb refilled is not an easy task to get done right away around me
eventually an AquaControllerJR

Last edited by JarHarms; 12-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode