80 gallon crypt tank. - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
80 gallon crypt tank.

I'm finally able to set up a new tank after three plus years. I decided to go with crypts because they should be easy for my lovely girlfriend to take care of if and when I deploy again. I don't have any hardscapes it's probably just going to go crazy and end up being a crypt jungle.

Hardware

-Tank I got off of craigslist. I don't know the brand. It does have a huge glass center brace I wish I could remove.

-10lb Co2 tank with custom built regulator

- Soon to have a DIY cerges reactor

Filtration

Sunsun 404b - bottom to top - course filter pads/ polyfil / bio media / charcoal etc

Lighting

Finnex 48" Planted plus

Substrate

Sifted MGOPM capped with activflora black. It took 5 bags to cover dirt. Might need one more as there are some thin spots. I put balls of clay into the soil with osmocote.

Plants

Cryptocoryne Parva
Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Cryptocoryne wendtii red
Cryptocoryne Undulatus
Cryptocoryne Blassi
Cryptocoryne affinis metallic
Cryptocoryne Nurri Phangang mutated
Cryptocoryne Usteriana x Walkeri
Red Tiger Lotus
and unknowns purchased from a member of this forum.

Fauna

I haven't added anything yet. I'm waiting until the crypts have completed the melting phase.

2015/09/11

Plants arrived from online. Others I had sitting in holding tank as plants came at different time. Some were sitting for over a week.

Trying to plant crypts with no hardscape to use was a challenge for me. I honestly didn't know how tall some of the crypts got. I know they can get pretty big and fan out. I put the parva in the front with the other taller plants in the back. The rest was random. I also had to trim off so much roots to even plant. I put the hose in a bag to keep it from disturbing the substrate. I had to run around the house to control the flow.

2015/09/12

Did a water change. Waiting for the big melt down to kick in. Just want to get this part over with.

2015/09/13

Got some white nasty looking stuff growing over my substrate. I'm guessing it's fungus or bacteria eating the organics leaking from the dirt underneath. I tried to vacuum it up, but it keeps coming back.

I did another big water change and added more activflora over the spots where the white stuff is popping up. I'm guess the areas that it's growing are the thin spots so that's where I made it thicker.

2015/09/16

My tank hates me. The more I clean it out the faster this stuff grows back. I'm hoping it dies away once everything settles down. This is the first time this happened to me.

On another note. I my whole house filter came in today to build my Cerges reactor. It ended up missing the cap so I had to send it back for a new one.

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

Last edited by Patriot; 10-06-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: edited co2 tank size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That is going to look great when it matures a bit.

I just set up a 15 gallon tank for my daughter using eco-complete. I used tank water from an established tank and a dirty filter. I have not got a light for it yet. I have that same white stuff growing on the substrate. I had never seen or heard of it before.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you. I sure hope it looks good. I hope some of the random plants I got are some reds.

I'm guessing it has to do with similar substrates. I seen it happen to people that use sand as well. I'm gonna to do another water change today.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Looks like it'll be a crypt heaven!

Bummer about the algae etc, it is a pain to go through new tank syndrome.

What size whole house filter did you get?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
Looks like it'll be a crypt heaven!

Bummer about the algae etc, it is a pain to go through new tank syndrome.

What size whole house filter did you get?
I got the pentek 3g 20" clear housing. I'm hoping the longing housing allows or the bubble to diffuse better.

Hopefully it come with the cap tomorrow.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2015/09/17

My replacement order for the filter housing came in. It too was missing the blue cap. I won't be ordering a second one from amazon again. I don't know what's up with it not being included in the box. This is a real set back as I really would like to add CO2. I'm going to have to buy one local that's smaller, which I understand produces many bubbles.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2015/09/18

Finished my DIY cerges reactor. Also finally got some CO2 going. I hope everything is working correctly. I have the valve slightly closed o. The output side to build up pressure to dissolve the CO2. Everything is finally finished now, well at at least so far.

My next task is to get rid of the surface film that keeps coming back.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good so far.

Your co2 working pretty is looking pretty high, I would suggest 10-15 psi.

My crypt type is just now done melting and starting to actually grow quite well. Took a few months for things to take hold. I still have a bit of algae but if it mature and plants keep growing am sure it will be all good. I keep aggressively cutting any leave with algae, they are generally the older leaves.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice to see everything coming together.

That SunSun canister filter comes with a surface skimmer, not sure if you will end up losing much co2 though. The surface protein scum lessen atmosphere exchange, so less co2 loss, but also less o2 dissolving into the tank for fish and less light penetration.
The surface skimmer should be worth it installing though, shouldn't loss much co2 at all.

If you have shrimp or snails, you probably could throw them in there, they will eat that white growth stuff and since they produce sooooo little amount of bioload, and with the large water volume, the uncycled filter won't matter. I think the white stuff is like driftwood slime, just microorganisms growing because of the excess whatever it is, in the water, but once the supply runs out or the plants out compete it, it will go away.

The co2 is good, probably will get less melting.
Newbie to co2, but I think since you have no fish in the tank, you can go full strength co2 (30 PSI the common target?) and not need to slowly increase. I am new though, so could be completely wrong on that. Haha.

Nice work.

EDIT:
Oh, I see you mentioned you have charcoal in the filter. I believe that will absorb some of the nutrients that the plants want. Not sure if it helps much to clear the water up or not.

You might also want a additional circulation pump going just to better disperse the co2 throughout the whole tank better. Less dead spots and better growth for all plants. Especially once all the plants get larger, further blocking circulation.

Last edited by WaterLife; 09-19-2015 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for the feedback. I lowered the psi of the CO2 to around 15psi. I realized that I need a timer to shut off the CO2 at night. Would be easier than unplugging every night.

I added the charcoal to get rid of the smell from the dirt breaking down. If it removes some excess nutrients then that would be fine. I'm not dosing anything as of yet. Hopefully that robs the bacteria colony of food.

If I could find some shrimp to eat it then I will add some.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What are the dimensions on the tank? I ask because I wonder how a single Planted Plus is going to do as far as light spread on a tank like this...granted you're mostly growing crypts so it should be fine.

Any pics of the mystery plants? We can try and ID them for you haha

This is going to look sick when all the plants mature in a few months. You should think about getting some of the rarer crypt varieties too if these all do well for you...may as well get some fancy stuff if its going to be all crypts right? There are some crazy looking species and varieties out there.

Also, idk if you're going to have this issue or not, but I've always felt that certain crypts look very similar to each other and that mixing them in the same tank might be a pain because it'd be hard to tell which variety is which variety sometimes. At least thats why I avoid mixing different wendtii together (shrug).

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
What are the dimensions on the tank? I ask because I wonder how a single Planted Plus is going to do as far as light spread on a tank like this...granted you're mostly growing crypts so it should be fine.

Any pics of the mystery plants? We can try and ID them for you haha

This is going to look sick when all the plants mature in a few months. You should think about getting some of the rarer crypt varieties too if these all do well for you...may as well get some fancy stuff if its going to be all crypts right? There are some crazy looking species and varieties out there.

Also, idk if you're going to have this issue or not, but I've always felt that certain crypts look very similar to each other and that mixing them in the same tank might be a pain because it'd be hard to tell which variety is which variety sometimes. At least thats why I avoid mixing different wendtii together (shrug).

I don't know the dimension of the tank. I will try to measure it tomorrow. I was thinking about getting another one just in case. I will see how well they do once they start to grow in. I do want the reds to grow in. I ordered some wendtii red, but none of them look red now. Hopefully that change.

So far all of the leaves look like that were grown out of water, which they probably were. Many have melted away now. I'm removing the dead leaves later on tonight. I guess the mystery plants will remain so until they grow.

I will probably add some more crypts in the future. I believe I will have some extra room. I still have some bare spots. I would like some more rare crypts. So far the rarest I have so far is Cryptocoryne Usteriana x wendtii.

You are rights about them looking similar. I thought about that after I planted them. I should have recorded them and their locations.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Wendtii red and brown are the same plant I am pretty sure. The top of the leaves will be a dark brown and the underside looks reddish in color.

If you want a red crypt you should get wendtii green gecko.

I use a single planted plus in my 75g and my green gecko has a lot of red. I find good ferts plus co2 is more important than light with it comes to this crypt. I have a ton of floaters too and my plants still look and grow very well.

Affins metallic red is another one to look for, and flamingo. They will add some nice color. Dont forget about nurii and tropica.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

2015/09/21

The white growth on the substrate is dying back. I don't know if it's the CO2 that's killing it. I'm guessing the bacteria colony is getting gasses since the crypts are still going there the melting phase. Also I noticed that nematodes have started to crawl out of the substrate for more oxygen.

SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can cut off the melting leaves since they won't recover and then the regrowing new leaves process will begin sooner (no wasted energy on trying to keep quickly melting leaves alive).

Now's the time to get the co2 level in balance.

I read your other comment on a cerges reactor being ran with just your one 404b, the video link you mentioned, the guy was using a weak 302b model and so he needed two.
The 404b should create enough pressure.

What size filter housing did you go with for the 80 gallon tank? Any co2 bubbles coming out?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode