Chubbi - 40B High Tech, First Attempt. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Chubbi - 40B High Tech, First Attempt.

40B Dutch/Grow Out Attempt

Thank you for all the information I've been able to find here, it has really inspired me!

I'm fairly new to the aquarium hobby but so far so good.
This is my 40g Breeder I've spent the last few months planning what would go into making a successful tank at this size. Again thank you for all of the wonderful advice that has gone into helping me get to this point. I would never have been able to do it without this amazing helpful community. At this point I've actually purchased very few plants, many wonderful members through roak's and gifts have help me to accumulate my wonderful array of plants. Forgive me as I build this journal to help others and track my tank over time. Initially it my be a little rough but hopefully with time it will all come together!

Equipment-

Tank:
Petco $1 per Gallon Sale 40B

Filter:
SunSun 304B, removed the spraybar and have it flowing through the 90 degree return.

Eheim Skim 350

Koralia Nano 240? I forget exactly helping to create a circular flow throughout the tank

Substrate:
Carib Sea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium @ 2-4 inches deep from front to back. 3 bags total ( should have done 4) (root tabs added)

Light:
I currently have two wonderful BML's above one is a 10k and the other a 6500 Dutch. I have the Dutch in the front aimed slightly back, and the 10k directly downward over my thicker stems in the back. (Thank you Bret)
Both are running 8 hours at 45 and 55%% intensity currently. 4-12pm

Co2:
Custom built dual stage regulator by AlanLe here on the forums attached to a 20# Co2 Tank.

This leads to a Fluval bubble counter, and into a GLA 70mm in tank Atomizer w/ check valve.
I use GLA's co2 tubing as well.
Milwaukee Ph Controller set for 1ph drop

Floura:

anubis petite nana
Dwarf Hair Grass
Blyxa Japonica
stauroyne repens
ludwidgia rubin
Ludwigia Brevipes
Limnophila Aromatica
Rotala rotundifolia
Hygro Angustifolia
crypts (brown, green, pink)
cyperus helferi
cuphea anagalloidea
Riccia
Pogostemon helferi
alternanthera reineckii cardinalis

Fauna:

50 Neon Tetra
3 Otocinclus
2 Siamese Algae Eater
Red Cherry Shrimp
10+ Amanao Shrimp
3 Bristle Nose Pleco
6 German Blue Rams
2 Peacock Gudgeons
2 Sterbai Cories
All types of snails

Dosing:
GLA Estimative Index Fertilizer Package

Using these amounts alternating Macros/Micros 3x weekly @

KNO3 (approximately 1/2 teaspoon)
KH2PO4 (approximately 1/8 teaspoon)
K2SO4 (approximately 1/8 teaspoon)
Plantex CSM+B (approximately 1/8 teaspoon)

Root Tabs have been spread one every so often throughout. Purchased Osmocote+ and some 00 gels caps and I make my own.

This is where I stand as of now, any advice or tinkering would be greatly appreciated! If I am forgetting anything please let me know!

As I learn and build I will continue to update this thread with my experience!

Photo's will be coming in just a moment! (and edits )

Last edited by Chubbi; 05-16-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Chubbi - 40B High Tech, First Attempt.

So the tank has been established now for about 2 months and I've been battling diatoms for the last month.. I went on vacation soon after setting this tank up and unfortunately the up aqua diffuser I purchased crapped out on me and became blocked somehow while I was gone. The Co2 line then ballooned and blew so no co2 for a few days with higher light. Came home only to find the diatom bloom I had hoped to avoid hit me hard.. Fortunately I've only seen growth from all my plants, the S Repens had a little die off though now seems to be steadily growing well.

It looks as though the Diatoms are now fading back, and my prayers of getting through this dreaded stage may have finally been answered! So here are a few photos of where the tank stands today

So just after posting this I of course pressed too hard onto my crappy glass diffuser and broke the stem of it.. any suggestions on a new diffuser? I think I'm going to just go ahead and purchase a GLA Atomizer, which size do you think would be best for a 40B?

Excuse my crappy phone pictures

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Chubbi; 09-17-2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
tank looks great already but wow you have all the makings for a absolutely beautiful dutch tank, once everything grows out some I am sure it will be amazzzzing

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Andrew, I hope to keep fine tuning it. Hopefully I'll see some big growth in the next month. I'm sure I'll move a few of the stems and pull the wisteria as some of my preferred plants multiply a bit more.

Has anyone had much luck with a blackout ridding the last of their diatoms?

Love seeing my rotala pearl like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Could you share your entire co2 setup down to type of diffuser, etc? I am looking to get my 40b up and running with co2. Thanks!

Last edited by rtfish; 09-17-2015 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfish View Post
Could you share your entire co2 setup down to type if diffuser, etc? I am looking to get my 40b up and running with co2. Thanks!
Of course RT, give me a few minutes and i'll throw some links and photos of my system together for you as well.

I think a lot of it depends though on how much your willing to spend. I am currently making the switch to a GLA in tank atomizer. As i've read you also can get away with using a smaller bubble count since they're more efficient. I also decided to purchase the higher pressure rated tubing to go along with it (from GLA). I was getting a bit of leaking around my bubble counter using silicone tubing so maybe this will help.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thanks. I am having a heck of a time figuring out what to get. I don't need a high end system. Just something simple for a HOB tank. This is why I was leaning towards paintball systems. I have a shop right down the street, but would also want to be able to swap out tanks if needed to standard sizes.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a pretty expensive system at this point, the regulator is a dual output Stainless I purchased from AlanLe here on the forums (roughly $350 can't remember). 20# co2 tank i found through a member here as well I get it filled at a local airgas twice a year. You'll need some co2 tubing, if your not running a higher pressure atomizer( I just purchased this GLA 70mm Atomizer ) you can get away with silicone tubing from just about anywhere. if your not as worried about cosmetics a Fluval diffuser and bubble counter work decently.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic-88g-CO2-Diffuser-Ounces/dp/B004GCO35G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442520101&sr=8-1&keywords=fluval+diffuser
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-88g-CO2-Bubble-Counter-Ounces/dp/B004GCPM6K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442520101&sr=8-3&keywords=fluval+diffuser
Also a few check valves(purchase the Stainless ones from Nilcog here on the forums get 2 the plastics don't work..) you'll want to throw in as well to keep water from reaching whichever regulator you buy. I'd recommend purchasing something inexpensive initially till you know how you want to commit. I think i've heard decent things about Co2art when it comes to price and what you're getting. I got tired of crapy needle valves honestly and decided i was just going to purchase a regulator that would last the hobby for me and could run two different tanks.

Finally you'll want to plug in the solenoid on your regulator to a timer so you can control when the flow of co2 headed to your tank.

since you have a 40B I'd suggest a 5lb co2 tank at least, a paintball you'll probably be refilling all the time and the difference between that and a 20# isn't much when it comes to refilling. By the end of the year you've payed way more in refilling than you would on a larger tank to have started.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Awesome start. Tough out the diatoms - same thing happened to my hairgrass. My DHG belem took forever to start 'taking off' - at least 2 months. Now it is growing at quite a good rate and I am very happy with it / glad I never gave up on it.

Also be prepared for the grass to invade your other foreground plants. Because it sends runners under substrate it will start popping up when it is established.

If your rotala pearls like that every night and your new growth looks that good then your tank should fill in within a few months and look great. Definitely a great start to a high tech tank.

Very similar to my setup so if you want to collaborate on issues feel free to hit me up.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence klibs, I've seen the runners pop up here and there and have been trying to move them to more needed areas. I'm sure eventually it'll be a headache but for now I can't wait to get there lol.

What are you running your BMLs at right now?

Limnophila pearling well tonight, I think it's one of my favorite plants. I think I'll fill the right corner with it over keeping the wisteria in the back.

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Rat here is a photo of my regulator bubble counter and check valve. Hopefully it'll help some seeing it.

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I am ramping my BML Dutch XBs up to:
Rear: 75%
Front: 45%

Also keep in mind my tank is a 75g and is quite a bit taller and thus needs more light...

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I did a huge trim this week,
pulled all of the ludwigia rubin or the left up and replanted the tops, trimmed the foreground for the first time since the tank has been up.
Trimmed the Hygro in the back and the wisteria pretty much to the base to allow my mid ground plants to soak up some light and get a bit fuller. Still planning on removing those eventually.

I'm very happy to say i think i've finally gotten rid of 90% of my diatoms and a little more disappear each day.

Installed a GLA 70m Atomizer earlier in the week with great success, much better diffusion now. I also reduced the light on both BML's to 40%. I've had a bit of GSA and BBA growing on the tips of some of the plants closest to the top of the tank. Hopefully this will reduce that. Overall I'm really happy, it seems like the tank is growing great and should fill in completely over the next few months.

Few pictures pre and post cutting and water change

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a quick photo from tonight

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Purchased 24 more neons this week, putting me up to 35. Really happy to have a decent amount of fish residing now, though it still feels a little empty to me. I guess if I were to add a little more variety it could help?

I've also been playing with my flow lately and placement of my koralia/outtake. I'm trying to give a little more surface agitation in hopes of improving my overall co2ppm. More o2 = more co2? I think?

Wish I would have purchased a 425 koralia over the 250. Or whatever it may be. A little more power would be nice, when I can invest a bit more I'll grab one.

Plants continue to spread, letting my dhg grow for two months then trimming it last week gave me a ton of growth. I've topped most of the stem plants on the left. Hopefully now I can get them to get a bit bushier. I think I'll also remove the hydro from the back and let more stems full in there. I'm thinking maybe moving that or the cypress helferi to cover the sides of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode