Bio Cube 8 journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Colts Fan
Bio Cube 8 journal

This is my first nano aquarium and I thought it would also make a good first journal from me. I bought a Bio Cube 8 last week that was on clearance at a LFS. I got it set up to make sure everything is operating properly and has no leaks. Everything checked out great. I noticed that it has two 18w CF, one is a 10,000K the other is an actinic. I am planning on replacing that with a 6500K from A H Supply. I had some extra Eco Complete, so I put that in for substrate. I found an interesting piece of driftwood at a LFS, that is a good size for this small of an aquarium. I plan on getting a Anubias Coffeefolia and tying it to one end of the driftwood. I replaced the bio balls that came with the Bio Cube with a 500ml jar of Seachem Matrix. I also put a 100ml bag of Purigen in the same filter compartment. I can see that down the road I am going to abandon the filter cartridge that goes with the Bio Cube and probably just add a coarse sponge to act as a mechanical filter. Today I added the following plants to the scape.......Ludwigia Repens, Brazilian Pennywort, a Red Melon Sword and a Lobelia Cardinalis. As of right now, I have a Betta and 2 Julii Cory cats.

I plan on adding a DYI CO2, in the next few days. As far as plants go I am thinking the sword plant is just going to be too big and look out of place for this scape. I am also on the fence about the Lobelia Cardinalis as well. I would like to add some Marsilea Minuta as a foreground plant. I also really like Blyxa japonica, Limnophila aromatica,Pogostemon helferi, or Rotala rotundifolia. I debating on which ones to add to this scape. Any advise or suggestions would be more than welcome. Here are a few of pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Nice start. I do agree, i think the melon sword will grow to be too big for your tank.

Blyxa Japonica looks great in any tank, and it's very easy to grow. So i'd recommend getting a few stems and seeing how they do. If you're interested, i could send you a few stems for free, just pay $6 for priority shipping. PM me if you're interested.

I would also try standing the driftwood up, i think it would look a lot better. Experiment different positions, and different directions that it points. It might look cool if you tied some moss to it as well.

Even though i think the lobelia looks great in the tank, if you decide you don't want it i'll buy it from you. I love that stuff!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Colts Fan
Thank You AzFishKid. I have tried postioning the Driftwood in various postions, including standing it up, this is whre it seems to look the best. I am planning on tying some moss to it, I just haven't decided which one would look the best. I am leaning toward Flame Moss or Taiwan Moss. As far as the lobelia, would you want to trade? I'll send it to you if you'll send me the Blyxa Japonica. We each pay the shipping. Thinking about just offering the Melon Sword on the SNS here to trade for another plant. Although I am not sure if anyone would be interested in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode