Standard Ten gallon build. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Standard Ten gallon build.

Im pretty stoked! Been in the SW game for awhile now, reefs, swim, coral propagation,etc... but recently jumped into this!

Heres the equipment list:
Standard glass 10 gallon
Coralife 1x65w Power Compact with Current USA dual daylight 6700/10000k bulb
Hang on Aqua Clear 70 with foam, carbon, and biomedia
Red Sea Turbo Co2 bio system
Fluval surface skimmer attachment for AC70
Black Eco planted tank substrate
Petco rocks
Petco Mayan decor

Flora:
Anubis
Babys Breath?

LMK what you think, I am digging it so far!

Always open to suggestions!

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
It looks good, and its clear that you did your research before getting into this. I love eco complete. Add a black background, and your plants (and little tiki guys) will really pop.

But, some (hopefully!) constructive comments:

I cant really tell, but make sure your anubias rhizome is not buried in your subsrate. It'll rot if it is.

You should consider taking the carbon out of your filter. It absorbs micro nutrients that the plants need. Purigen is a good alternative. Also, protein skimmers arent really necessary in freshwater tanks, but I guess it cant hurt. Just try to keep surface movement to a minimum, so that you dont out-gas your CO2.

But the primary issue here is that you have a LOT of light. You're going to need very stable CO2 if you want a balanced system. I'm not sure the Red Sea system is going to cut it. If I was you, Id either pack this thing full of plants or keep your lighting to no more than 6 or 7 hours a day. Your anubias is a slow growing, low light plant. With that lighting, you could grow plants that demand much more light.

Have you looked into a potential fertilization routine?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 AM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The "baby's breath" looks like Hemianthus callichtriodes "HC"
You're probably thinking of baby tears, not baby breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
I cant really tell, but make sure your anubias rhizome is not buried in your subsrate. It'll rot if it is.
x2

Anubias will grow attached to driftwood or rocks, maybe even the artifical decorations you have if they're got texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
protein skimmers arent really necessary in freshwater tanks, but I guess it cant hurt. Just try to keep surface movement to a minimum, so that you dont out-gas your CO2.
The fluval surface skimmer isn't the same as a protein skimmer. It skims water off the surface to prevent the surface film from building up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I like the look, but you deffinetly need more plants. Perhaps you could add some amazon sword(s) to the back or java fern to the funky mayan heads.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Looks good so far. I would just reiterate those points about cutting way back on light. Would you consider trying to trade or sell that fixture, or save it for another setup, and maybe shooting for something more like this instead...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=11382

The whole thing will look better right away if you get some more plants in there. There are many attractive low-tech plants that will grow in this tank. I would highly recommend checking out the Swap & Shop forum.

A tank background would also be beneficial for looks. You could either get some of that plastic-coated sheet from the pet store, or just carefully tape on a square of plastic trash bag.

Don't forget to post updates as you continue to work on it members here really like to see updates.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

I will grab a background ASAP, agree 100% on that aesthetically. As for the plants, I was told amazon swords like higher ph and due to the Co2 I should stay away?

I want grass in the substrate around the Mayan guys, and a small piece of driftwood on the other side. I am planning a taller plant back behind the large hollow Mayan to black the surface skimmer.

Oh and I HATE surface film!

Thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming, I will keep posting pics.

What do you hear about the Hydor Co2 system that uses pellet gone type Co2 cartridges?

Thanks again!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Any better?

Anubis is attached to a stone loosely with a ziptie, and I added Kyoto, Umbrella plant, and wisteria?

Forgive my noobness...

I moved the light fixture forward so the anubis is in the back and getting less light. My real goal is to have some sort of grass, for now Im happy I think...

Comments?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

New pic, more plants, not sure of names :-(

recently the water clouded up with the addition of some tetras, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
That dark green fern on the front right looks like a non-aquatic to me.

Did some of those plants come in tubes?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:09 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
There are actually several non-aquatics in there.
I hate when lfs rip un-knowing people off like that

-Chris

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
There are actually several non-aquatics in there.
I hate when lfs rip un-knowing people off like that

yeah after looking at them more closely, i think most if not all are non-aquatics.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The "baby's breath" looks alot like glosso to me. My lfs had some that look exactly like those; they were growing kinda tall.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
yea that fern plant in the front right is non aquatic. Did you get it at Petco or Petsmart in a tube? I don't know how these places can get away with selling them as aquatic plants. Seems like it should be illegal to me.

I got that exact plant when I started a planted tank and sure enough a month later it died. I did get wisteria in the tube and its still growing fine for me in my low tech tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Most of it did come in tubes, I was under the impression less chance of parasitic snails from the mass produced plants. I am not liking the plant in the front either. The babys tears are actually glasso, I thinned it out and planted it.

The plants are as listed above, and the new plats I got were an amazon sword, an umbrella plant?, and the one to the right of the wisteria, which came in a tube and is growing fine.

Noone sold me these, I just went and got them, nothing seems to be dying, but if the fern thingy in the front right will, Ill just pull it now.

I did a 2 gallon water change and over the last 24 hours or so the tank cleared back up.

Im not liking the plants on the right much at all... need to go check out another store in town for other options
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubberOTanky View Post
I will grab a background ASAP, agree 100% on that aesthetically.
Easiest and cheapest background is poster board. For my 29 gallon tank I use material, which is taped onto a board and the board taped to tank. One person glued Velcro onto the back of the tank and fabric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubberOTanky View Post
Oh and I HATE surface film!
Some just use a paper towel to catch the film on top.

You need to pull the old leaves off of the amazon or they will out grow the tank. Tis what someone told me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode