So I decided that I would finally try a planted aquarium.
I used my 20gal H tank for this project. I relocated the two goldfishes to another tank of mines. I took out the gravel and other thing in the tank. Emptied the tank of the water and cleaned it a little.
I found a nice deal on craigslist for 5 bags of Seachem Flourite.
I used 3 bags to create about 3 inches of substrate. I think two bags would have been enough but what the hell, I had 5 bags anyway.
After rinsing each bag about 5-6 times, I started adding the substrate into the tank.
I started slowly adding water after I had all the Flourite in. I tried to minimize the cloudly water by using a powerhead to slowly filter the water in. I also used a glass bowl so the running water would not kick up any of the substrate.
As you can see the water still got pretty cloudy.
After filling the tank 3/4 of the way with water I added some plants I had. The swords (not good with plant names) are not in the best of conditions. I had them in a poorly lit tank before. I'm going to get alot of new plants when I have everything setup. I'm ordering a 24" Coralife Aqualight 65w PC.
I'm waiting for the water to clear up.
I'm a total beginner, just learning as I go. I'll post updates periodically.