20g high low light shrimptank build and stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
20g high low light shrimptank build and stand

this is going to be an all cherry shrimp tank with just wood, moss, java ferns and aponogenton crispus most likely. going to use the regular strip light that came with it for now since its just low light plants they should do ok for sometime.

got the stand finished today and ill be painting it and getting it done by tuesday i hope lol. stand came out pretty good so far but it will look much better with paint im sure.

the top of the stand is actually a end table top i got from the trash bin at a funiture store i go by weekly. they throw away alot of nice stuff like this top. there was a coffee table and end table matching new in the box, the legs for the tables were all bent up but the tops are new, they are broyhill furniture and cost of the end table with ugly metal legs was 275.00 alone.
i have about 20.00 in material in the stand so far lol so im doing better than 275 and look better already lol.

not sure if im gonna paint the stand black or a dark brown to help blend in the brown distressed looking top. im gonna put a few coates of clear coat to seal the top tomorrow so i can get this thing done!
ive been using the krylon fusion on most of the diy stands i do so i will probably use it for the base since its water proof and the best paint around for aquarium stand or hood that may get wet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 11:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's a nice looking stand. I like your choice for the tabletop material. Looking forward to seeing it painted.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
That stand is awesome!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
got the stand and hood built and done

bought a ah supply 36 watt kit and built a hood for the light kit, the hood is kinda tall but the ah lighting is so good it needs to be off the tank more than this really but it will have to do for now.hood looks grey in pic but its the same black as the stand the flash made it look funny.

used this new spray paint, vht wrinkle plus for the stand and the hood, neat finish but not cheap 8.00 a can and took 2 cans to do hood and stand.they sell it at advance auto, etc.the paint is gas and oil safe so im sure its water safe to.

really neat finish if your looking for a factory finish look.

the tank rim is painted a differnt color black but didnt want to spend 8.00 on another can of paint and its good enough for me.

put 6 coats of polyurethane over the wood top so its waterproof better than it was. just glad to get it done so i can get water and plants in it later today.
glad im posting this so i can see the plants change 50x over the next year lol

close up of the wrinkle plus on hood.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Whats the top of that stand made out of? It looks great!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
NM, didn't read your intro.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode