75g Updated - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75g Updated

So the first picture is of my tank when I first set it up. The second picture is of my tank today, 5 1/2 weeks later. I've added some new plants and the tiger lotus bulbs grew pretty quickly. I love having a planted tank!!! Can't imagine going back to fake plants ever again. Now I want to re-start my 20g. Feed back and advice would be great! Thank you for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75g_tank1.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	15047  

Name:	arts_tank_5 weeks2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	15048  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
BEAUTIFUL ANGELS. I'm very jealous of your koi angel!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! I bought 3 of them (the 2 dark ones and the koi) from an angelfish breeder who lives near me. I think the koi has a vision problem though. She was getting VERY skinny and I realized she wasn't getting any food, the others were eatting it too quickly and she was kind of staring off. I finally taught her to eat from my hand. I tap on the glass and she comes to the spot where I'm tapping with her mouth open. I find bigger flakes or long bloodworms and I put them into her mouth. Now the others are eatting from my hand too.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Honeycomb Master

Wow, i've never heard of angelfish eating from a hand. Cool!

I really want to get one or two more angels, but i'm not sure how my other two would handle it. The female has laid eggs several times (they only hatched once, sadly), and the male is pretty territorial. Any thoughts? Yes/no to another angel?

Love the plant arrangement by the way. Looks very natural.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
It looks much better to me in the second pic.

What are the details on your tank? Lighting/substrate/Co2/Dosing/flora/fauna ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey AZ, I had 6 angelfish (sadly I had to put one down this morning. He was the male of my breeding pair). I don't really want to "breed" angelfish. It really isn't as easy as it sounds, and I have no idea what I would do with 100+ angelfish anyway. Now I have 2 females that lay eggs (they are both gold pearlscales) and the black one fertilizes both their eggs. They get VERY nasty when they're spawning and a tiny bit better when they're not spawning. Problem is, they spawn every 7 to 10 days. So every week I loose hair watching them chase and nip each other. They get very violent at times too, I have to break them up. The koi and the 2 dark ones are very docile though, it's the 2 gold ones that are just relentless. I was told that if you have more angelfish, they tend to neutralize each other. So far, I haven't found that to be 100% true.

topfrog007, thank you for the compliment. The first tank was how I started, the second pic is my tank 5 weeks later. Big difference in 5 weeks. I have regular fluorescent lights (3 of them) at 108 watts total, eco complete substrate, no co2, various swords, crypts, vals, tiger lotus bulbs (my favorite), hygros, driftwood and rocks. I have 5 angelfish (2 gold pearlscales, 1 zebra double dark, 1 smokey, 1 koi) and 2 plecos. This tank will be for angelfish only.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	angelfish_new_koi.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	15049  

Name:	angelfish_new_dd2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	15050  

Name:	angelfish_new_smokey.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	15051  

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Hey AZ, I had 6 angelfish (sadly I had to put one down this morning. He was the male of my breeding pair). I don't really want to "breed" angelfish. It really isn't as easy as it sounds, and I have no idea what I would do with 100+ angelfish anyway. Now I have 2 females that lay eggs (they are both gold pearlscales) and the black one fertilizes both their eggs. They get VERY nasty when they're spawning and a tiny bit better when they're not spawning. Problem is, they spawn every 7 to 10 days. So every week I loose hair watching them chase and nip each other. They get very violent at times too, I have to break them up. The koi and the 2 dark ones are very docile though, it's the 2 gold ones that are just relentless. I was told that if you have more angelfish, they tend to neutralize each other. So far, I haven't found that to be 100% true.
My angelfish do that as well. They are VERY aggressive towards each other when the female is spawning. I sometimes think the male is going to kill the female, and i have to break them up. Do you have a female:male ratio?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Out of my 5 angelfish I have positively identified 2 females (the 2 gold pearlscales) and 1 male (the black one with the blue highlights). The breeder believes the koi is a female but I don't know for sure. I don't know what the smokey is yet either.

And yes, I think my 2 females will kill each other the fighting gets so bad. One female actually chases the other female towards the corner of the tank and sometimes pins her against the glass. AND, one of the female is laying eggs right now as I type.

I would like to add a couple of Pinoys to my tank, but between the cost of the fish and shipping...yikes!!! It's expensive. The breeder near me doesn't have any pinoys.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I like it alot. I think it will look even better when the vals fill in a little in the back and get some height to them.

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode