The fish Tank tank ( pun intended) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The fish Tank tank ( pun intended)

Here is what we have so far...
  • A Tank in the tank... ( M26 pershing?)
  • 6 platies ( 2 male, 4 females
  • lots of plants ( bacopa is what I have been able to identify so far
  • some brown algae
  • pond lily bulbs
Fish:

The platies seem to be doing fine... My two male platies seem to fight a bit... the smaller red wag male is the more aggressive fighter and will chase the sunburst male if they get too close. More females coming in a few weeks. I had an ich spot on a fish about a week and a half ago but treated the tank. No signs of ich on the fish now. The platies aggressively eat the brown algae and nibble on the plants. They are fond of pulling fronds off the frill tall plants and munching on them. Planted Tanks (TM)... part of a well balanced diet... Lastly, they love the Tank. The females use it to get away from the males for a while. The fish seem to have to taken a liking to darting in and out of the holes in the Tank more after a couple weeks.

Plants:

Lots of new growth on the medium height reddish bunch plants... these are sprouting new runners from the base while the tops are becoming more dense. The bacopa australis has grown about an inch in 2 and a half weeks. One pond lily bulb has sprout and grown about 7 tendrils. I re arranged some plants today ( you can see older arrangements in my new set up post/plant identification). The original arrangement was quite messy, though I am trying to improve on that over time. I have a nice big banana plant I may put in this tank though it is currently in my goldfish 20 gallon with a single Oranda.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911_011956_resized.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	516585  

Name:	20150911_011959_resized.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	516593  

Name:	20150912_031601_resized.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	516921  

Last edited by MBADataMiner; 09-12-2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: added pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lol nice

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 AM
Planted Member

Why?
If you're gonna keep it, at least cover it up with some moss and take that colored substrate from under it and put some carpeting plant and some eleocharis sp. around "the tank". At least it'll look more natural.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
MBADataMiner,

Nice setup! It's refreshing to see an aquarium that's different from every other. Have fun with it, don't let others convince you to change your décor.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Plant added

I added my banana plant today from the goldfish tank. It is a very unique looking plant, but a pain to actually get into the substrate. I seem to have a bit of hair algae on some plants. The platies are eating it, but I will probably do a WC tonight to reduce nutrients in the water.

- I do intend to cover up the garish fake rock part of the tank ornament at some point
-algae scrubber is on the way from amazon!

Last edited by MBADataMiner; 09-12-2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: added stuff
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice! It is fun to see different things in tanks.
On comments about a "natural look":
I don't know what is so natural about a fish living in a glass box, shaving algae and trimming plants, so natural is all subjective apparently.
Algae is not so bad either imo- I keep some for my fish (mollies and bnp) and shrimp.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Planted Member

^why don't we just throw our work shoes in the tank? It'll be "fun" and "different"..

Last time I checked, they were awarding the best , most natural looking tanks . That says a lot.

To each his own I guess.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
As a former M1 Tank Crewman, I can appreciate this scape! Best job I ever had!

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment what was your role in the tank crew?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted_Edge View Post
^why don't we just throw our work shoes in the tank? It'll be "fun" and "different"..

Last time I checked, they were awarding the best , most natural looking tanks . That says a lot.

To each his own I guess.
What's with all the hostility. No call for that. Yes, to each his own.

And just so you know, there have been plenty of aquascape using figurines created by well respected aquascapers. From Buddha statues, to animals figures in underwater jungles, to sunken shipwrecks, to Asian palace settings, to Indian Jones style scenery, and I've even scene a couple scapes using Star Wars figurines recreating a scene from a movie and they look great.

Last time I checked, in nature there aren't above-ground scenery replicas/aquascapes created underwater.
Aquascapes are works of art, just because it has plants doesn't make it "natural". Now biotopes are "nature" replications in a tank.

No need to downgrade anyone just because it's not to your liking.

I myself can appreciate all underwater art, even if it has figurines. Although personally, I would have went with a more realistic looking tank, but yes to each his own, to each..his own.

Now enough of that and back on topic.

I could imagine a aquascape done up with a post-apocalyptic city underwater (like a I AM LEGEND scene with vegetation taking back over the city, but underwater) or like this thread, maybe a lone disabled tank getting overtaken by nature, or even a combat scene with tanks and toy soldiers, art can be masterpieces however it may be done.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBADataMiner View Post
Thanks for the compliment what was your role in the tank crew?
I was a driver & a gunner. Blowing stuff up is fun, but the driver has the better seat.

I found out that the "H" in 120-H stands for HERNIA

GLA Mini M "Divorce Papers"
ADA 60-P Mist "A Beautiful Place Out In The Country"

PROUD US Army Disabled Veteran 1994-2004
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted_Edge View Post

To each his own I guess.
What's with all the hostility. No call for that. Yes, to each his own.

And just so you know, there have been plenty of aquascape using figurines created by well respected aquascapers. From Buddha statues, to animals figures in underwater jungles, to sunken shipwrecks, to Asian palace settings, to Indian Jones style scenery, and I've even scene a couple scapes using Star Wars figurines recreating a scene from a movie and they look great.

Last time I checked, in nature there aren't above-ground scenery replicas/aquascapes created underwater.
Aquascapes are works of art, just because it has plants doesn't make it "natural". Now biotopes are "nature" replications in a tank.

No need to downgrade anyone just because it's not to your liking.

I myself can appreciate all underwater art, even if it has figurines. Although personally, I would have went with a more realistic looking tank, but yes to each his own, to each..his own.

Now enough of that and back on topic.

I could imagine a aquascape done up with a post-apocalyptic city underwater (like a I AM LEGEND scene with vegetation taking back over the city, but underwater) or like this thread, maybe a lone disabled tank getting overtaken by nature, or even a combat scene with tanks and toy soldiers, art can be masterpieces however it may be done.

Point taken. To each his own means just that. No need to explain it. But thanks for the Star Wars comment, it was pretty funny.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your service ( and the Fury quote). I plan to check out the Danville Tank museum this weekend, looking forward to it.

Bump: Today's update:

Tomorrow is new fish day. Going to the local pet store to grab a few more female platies... no more than 4 at this point. I have a 4 gallon nano aquarium ready for a fry nursery tank. I do not plant to keep many fry at this point, I have friends who are already asking if I have them/if they can get a few. I still have a minor hair algae problem, but the platies are actually eating it. I may get one Siamese algae eater to help out the tank... my brother has them in his 55 and they destroy hair algae. I will post a photo later this week once my algae scrubber comes in from Amazon and I got the new fish situation. My pond lilies have both sprouted too.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

some info on the tank gear equipped:
29 G tank
Cobalt neotherm 150w heater
Finnex Planted + 24/7 light
Marineland Emperor 280 filter

Any suggestions for a good Co2 system for a 29 G?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mystery Science Platy Identification

Check out the orangeish white platy with the hi-fin and swordtail... Is this some kind of platy hybrid or did I get a swordtail? He gets along with the platies fine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150915_202705_resized.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	518497  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode