My 20g Iwagumi inspired build (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 20g Iwagumi inspired build (56k warning)

Ok....So here goes my first build journal. It is an Iwagumi inspired tank. It is not going to be a true iwagumi and that is the plan. Im just not that into only having one plant species. This is going to be a low tech tank. Here is a list of the things i have so far

20g tank
Whisper HOB filter
All-glass 2 bulb T-8 Hood with 2 6700k bulbs
Heater
*Substrate*
Aquasoil II
Tahitian black sand
Zebra Rock
*Flora*
Eleocharis acicularis
Riccia
Red Tiger Lotus
and 2 aponogeton varieties that im unsure of the exact name

Im not sure what fauna I'm going to put in yet but that is a few months out.

first the Amazonia II as goes in first

next the Tahitian black sand

And pull the dividers out

Here are the rocks i've collected

and the rocks in the tank

On goes the blue back ground

Or a black background. Not sure which side to use yet but im leaning towards the Blue.

Now i just have to wait for some plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I actually like blue too. It's different than the norm. If you don't like it at some point it's easy to swap out.

For your fauna you probably don't want anything that will disrupt the substrate and spread around your Tahitian/Amazonia.

I think it looks great, good luck, keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I think im probably going to go with some Oto's and a small school of Red Serpea tetras. I got a couple for my other 20g and fell in love with their color

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i would go black... and i'm not really sure about the rock placement, you might want to play with that a little, you've got lots of options.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would personally go with the black as well bc when you have those black and white rocks they already stand out in your tank and adding a blue background makes it even more distracting

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I like the black, but I don't like the centered amber piece of rock. IMO it just sticks out too much.
otherwise a nice start.

Last edited by Coltonorr; 09-03-2009 at 02:56 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i would actually like to find a couple more smaller amber/glass rocks and put them off center in the sand. Just a small artsy addition i tend to do in my tanks. somethings that is easily removed if it doesnt look right.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like it. If it were me I would have laid the Amazonia all over, and then put up the dividers and make the separate areas. Your rocks don't really stand out. Maybe try piling them up mostly on one side and put some driftwood or something on the other side. And the amber-colored rock is beautiful, but it looks too unnatural in the exact center like that.

I like the blue background. Looks great. Going to paint my next tank that color!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The method i used to lay down the substrate is one that Takashi Amano gives in a step by step method. I'll try and find the link. My girlfriend really likes the way that tank looked so this is an attempt to mimic that tank (lol so i can be in her good graces and get my other 3 tanks rescaped). To address the background. I have another 20g the has a black BG and i actually put one of the zebra rocks in there to see how it would look. It was just kind of blah, but that is something i can address after the tank has matured some. I'm still gonna play with the rock formations some. I'm going to my LFS tomorrow for feeder fish so im gonna look for some more zebra rock. I want to try and keep the overall impression on each side as 2 abstract triangles. Thank you for all the comments and keep them comming. It makes you take a step back and look at your project. I can be very critcal at the stuff that i design (i also design custom motrocycle seats) but sometime miss somethings.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally found the site.

http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com...e_document.htm

kind of a cool little article. I did move the rocks around some today. I'll take some pics tomorrow sometime and post them
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been awhile since i have updated this so here it goes. The first picture is after i filled the aquarium up and the last picture is today. The plants have done really well and i have trimmed it up quite a few times. The Riccia is doing great, I have already given away a few baseball size masses and started growing some on some 3 x 3 inch mesh's to sell. The tank needs a good grooming over all and I need to yank out some of the bigger plants. that'll be done when I get the new filter for it. I added some otto's and 10 rummy nose tetra's. I have to admit that I have fallen in love with the rummy noses and will probably have a large school of them in the 55 I am working on.

day 1

I pulled the rocks that had the Riccia one them and re-netted them

And here is today's shot

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Algae Grower

Hey, is that your CO2 diffuser diffusing into your HOB?
I have a similar setup, and was trying to "spread" the CO2 around my 14 gal tank. I was worried about sucking the CO2 up and having it diffuse on the surface, so I was keeping it away from the HOB intake, but should I put it directly under like you have?
Obviously you have good results!

How much time from day 1 to today?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes my Co2 does Diffuse into my HOB, not sure if and how much CO2 it loses but i haven't had much of a prob. I've gotten enough cutting to Plant a 30g and have thrown away about 2 walmart sacks full so I feel it is working. The time from day 1 until now is about 4-5 months
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Algae Grower

Two bags wow!
What ferts are you using?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WOW that looks great, i need to net some of my ricca to some rocks. Where did u get those nets?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode