55gal - a lazy dudes journey - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
55gal - a lazy dudes journey

Hey dudes, been into planted tanks for years now. I've had a couple of threads on here about them so I thought I better start enough one!

Had my dream tank setup.

4x2x2 with 2x54 t5ho's.

Dirt capped with pool filter sand.

Moderate stocking and very minimal water change. But it sprang a fairly serious leak. So in an effort not to lose all my plants I bought a 55gal and sorta rushed it.

The sand is wrong, and I put it together in a very short amount of time. It has root tabs, but I think maybe the sand is 2 fine for them to have enough effect. Ideally I should tear it apart and put pool filter sand in, but I'm lazy so eh.

I chucked everything out of the big tank in it with 2 x 3ft t8's I had left over from my first tank

Everything was good for about 6 months, but then the heater died, lost everything but my featherfin. Thankfully as he is my fav. This is where I stuffed up. I restocked some tetra's and a few cories but life got in the way and it crashed quite badly. I've got it nearly back up to stock but the damage has already been done. Have all kinds of algae and bad vibes. This brings us to the present. I have a much better paying job now so I've gone hard at it.

This is how it looked at its best!

I don't have a today's photo but will add soon.

I sorta have had the bug bite so I've stocked right back up over the last months and purchased some ferts and a new light.!

I bought a micro macro mix from some website that I intend to dose twice a week to begin with. I'll just see how it goes basically with that. I'm aiming for fortnightly water changes of 2 buckets.

I bought a satellite pro plus purely because I'm stupidly impulsive, I realize it's over kill and j should have gone with the planted plus but I just fell in love. Plus I love the idea of being able to wind it back and run it for longer.

Basically I'm going to double the plant load, increase the fish a little and go for the forest look, which is my love with these tanks.

This will probably just be a journey of algae and broken dreams but we will see.

i apologise for the bad camera phone photo's, ill ad some decent ones to the post when i get onto my laptop later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Planted Member

Excited to read about your journey. The tank looked amazing! Curious to see what it looks like currently.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

this is the only one i have of it, it kinda sucks but i got a new lens for my camera tonight so i was screwing around.

have about 8 types of algae, dead leaves everywhere and general badness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	515201  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:40 PM
bk.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is there any way you can repair the original and get it back up and running? Awesome tank. I'll be tagging along as well.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've been told that I would need to pull it completely apart and re silicon the whole thing for it to be safe again. its a huge job for a garage thank.

I didn't add this but stocking
1x featherfin
8x rummynose
8 x neons
8x peppered cory
2x female blue Rams.

I'm not sure what I'm going to add. I'd like to get hengals rasbora's again but my local store doesn't stick them very often. I need a bn as well as I lost him in the cold.

Last edited by frenchie1001; 09-07-2015 at 10:05 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey guys! Had a bit of a idea when I was lying in my bed last night.

There is a small spot in my room, that currently has a book shelf in it that would be perfect for a 3 foot tank. Being the terribly impulsive person I am, I bought a light and filter for it just then.

Plan is one large school of either rummy noise or rasbora. 2 x schools of 6 cories and Tahitian moon soil with root tabs. I'm not sure f I'll go for the jungle look or have a crack at Aquascaping with rocks and layers and things.

Also found out my gf bought me a tank for a Betta for my birthday so I'll add that in soon.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey dudes! Got a new tank today, gf gave me a Aqua one Aquazone 25!

http://i.imgur.com/edABxFM.jpg

It's looks pretty good, light looks almost 2 bright, filter setup looks pretty good. As this will be my first attempt at a hard scape it won't be up and running for awhile but will have plenty of photos. I need to get a heater for it too.

The only annoying thing is the pump for the filter and the light are on the same plug. I'll need to re wire the pump onto its own wall plug somehow before I can start playing. Really not sure on how to do this tho??? Any tips would be good!

The filter for the 30gal bedroom tank project arrived today but the light is weeks off still. Amazon shipping is a lot faster than eBay shipping apparently.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The fert mixed showed up today with some root tabs I don't need anymore thanks to finding the osmacote ones.
http://imgur.com/a/JF6lQhttp://i.imgur.com/gq6QHkG.jpg

Going to dose the minimum recommended amount once a week and see what happens, might do twice a week but we will see. If it's nice I'm going to do a bulk shipment and run all my tanks on it!

This is how it's sitting with the light currently it's at 50%, I'm thinking it looks a touch dim tho?

http://imgur.com/a/JF6lQ

A little hard to tell but this is where I have the moon light sitting.
http://imgur.com/a/JF6lQ

I'm hoping to get the chance this weekend to clean the filter and have a mild rescape but we will see. there is a lot of debris, so I think the filter must need a clean, I realized I haven't done it for quite awhile! Whoops
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

http://i.imgur.com/pSEMrAi.jpg

havent updated for about a month, crypts are going crazy, swords are turning yellow/clear for some reason. i doubled the amount of root tabs so hopefully that will help.! planning on reshaping as soon as i find the right bit of wood. ill add some stems in the interim to the right side i think. the choice here is very limited tho so it will depend on what i can get.

i also have been looking into go c02 which will happen in the next few months.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

" a journey of algae and broken dreams". That truth which binds us together!

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice and green!

I don't notice any yellow/melting of the swords, but maybe they just ran out if substrate nutrients, try adding some more root tabs/osmocote+.
I've heard of some plants going dormant, but I don't think these swords do that.

I don't know, it looks to be doing pretty good (don't see any algae besides the diatoms which might be from the sand -silica sand?-, don't see any deficiencies, vibrant healthy green). Personally I would probably keep it low tech (no co2 injection) since it's doing well already, so any new plants I would keep with the low demanding/easy plants.
CO2 is nice from generally healthier, faster plants, giving you more options of plant species, but if you are already doing great without it, then I wouldn't mind keeping the money and doing lowtech. Especially if you really are a "lazy dude" then co2 might grow plants TOO fast and then it would be more of a hassle to keep regularly trimming the plants to keep them from overcrowding. I guess you could slow down the co2 rate, but kind of defeats the purpose a bit.
But alas the choice is yours. Both are good options for you.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This photo is from just before they started to melt. From a couple of weeks ago. I've added a photo so you can see. I have osmacote tabs already, I doubled the amount around the swords on the weekend so hopefully that helps!

The melts started when I switched from flourish and t8 to LED and osmacote.

You make very good points, which I agree with. I just sorta feel it's time to do it. I want to get this tank as stable and algea free as possible. bba is really all that's left to fight. So it's more to keep the co2 super stable rather than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1445889148520.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	535274  

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

as you can from the previous photo's I've had a lot of issues lately. starting to get back on top of it, but makes me sad look at photos of what this used to look like.

Re did my tank yesterday. got rid of the horrible play sand and horrible osmacote balls everywhere. I'm putting alot of my issues down to those 2 things.

i used pool filter sand, which i love the look off, i just didnt get enough. i really wanted to build the left side up and have a slope. next time tho. my inspo for this was the waku kabasi style tanks, that have everything off to the side in a ball. except i have no idea how to so that, so i just used what i had and hoped for the best.

id like to get some more height in the back, and on the wood itself. plant idea's for this? id also like to go to branchier wood so ill be on the look out for some in my travels.

i did the wood position when the tank was cloudy, i couldnt see a thing so i just guessed and hoped for the best, i am happy ish with it but will probably fiddle with it.

any critique or ideas will be much appreciated.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

added some new plants today! getting more and more happy with this tank. c02 setup is going on over the weekend as well. happy days

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

this tank is now medium tech! have added C02 at a very low rate to see what happens basically

bk. and bk. like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode