20g long, rebuilding tank after crash - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g long, rebuilding tank after crash

So my 20 long crashed not too long ago and I'm in the process of kind of redoing the whole thing. Purchased a planted+ led to go with the T8 6500k bulb currently in there, some new plants, and I'm going to try to do this more or less properly.

Currently just dosing with excel but I'll probably end up doing some CO2 here once I figure out how the plants are all doing.

So the tank as it stands at the moment (not the greatest picture, I'll take a better one with my better camera once I rearrange things.)

I've got a bit of a hair algae problem happening right now that I'm working on, plus there's some cloudiness from just changing the water, so, apologies for that.

Plants currently in:
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila corymbosa
Ludwigia glandulosa (or I'm just bad at identification and its A. reineckii)
Bacopa caroliniana (least I'm pretty sure that's the right bacopa)
Micranthemum tweediei 'monte carlo'
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
+1 rhizome from a buce I thought I killed but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it recovers

on order (once they get here I'm going to trim up everything that needs it and rearrange things to be more pleasing.)
I will definitely be updating once I get the rest of my plants in and trim and rearrange everything.

Eriocaulon compressum
Hygrophila sp 'araguaia'
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Syngonathus belem
+ several buce varieties

I think I want some Limnophila aromatica as well, but we'll see. As it is when everything fills in I may have to cull some species, but I'm kind of looking to get a very heavily planted tank.

Residents are going to be endlers & ramshorn snails. Possibly some shrimp, i haven't decided yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's a lot if light. Your going to need ei and co2 to keep the algae at bay.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I figured. I can always turn off the t8, but on such a short tank pretty sure the planted+ is enough to make those necessary - guess its time to get started on C02.

I'm dosing ferts already but i'll definitely look into EI

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
That's a lot if light. Your going to need ei and co2 to keep the algae at bay.
agree!

I have a single Stingray on my 20L.

I have the CO2 to as much as the fish can take, dose EI daily and Excel daily, I barely keep ahead of the algae!

It sounds like you are behind the algae curve already!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well its behind on algae for a couple different reasons unrelated to huge amounts of light- the planted+ I *just* got today. Believe me I know there's going to be some trial and error and realistically I'll probably just end up removing the fluorescent.

I'll be doing EI & setting up c02 asap though, I'm just still kind of in the process of gathering everything to do it how I want.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
ya its an evolving process, but the CO2 will really go a long way to getting it dialed in.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothlin View Post
20 long
planted+ led with T8 6500k bulb

I've got a bit of a hair algae
I finding have a 3hr siesta period helps keep algae under control. Thus lights are on 3hrs/ off 3hrs/ on 3hrs. Also have found dosing KNO3 helps especially since you have stem plants. Stem plants are nitrate hogs. I get KNO3 from Spectricide Stump Remover (100% KNO3). You can find it at home depot. I think 1/2 tsp of KNO3 wkly for 4wks then dose it monthly will help.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got most of the hair algae to go away and I'm down to just a few normal diatoms - which should hopefully go away soon. I've got ferts on the way and the materials get co2 setup, so I'll have that on my way soon, hopefully I'm on my way to a nice healthy tank here.

I added a handful of plants and will probably move some stuff around soon... maybe. The giant hygro mess on the left hand side will seriously be needing a trim sooner rather than later, its growing insanely fast (but then again, I knew it would.) There's still a couple other stems I'd really like to pick up before I seriously move stuff around though, and I'd like to have the co2/ferts really set before I start.

Still, coming along! And my snails should be here tommorow!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So my 20 long crashed not too long ago and I'm in the process of kind of redoing the whole thing.

Currently just dosing with excel but I'll probably end up doing some CO2 here once I figure out how the plants are all doing.
Did you find out why it crashed?

I have found dosing kelp helps. It is 1 of the ingredients in Brightwell FlorinAxis (Co2 additive). If you decide to inject Co2 check out this paintball system, which cost under $100. More info on paintball here.

In my 20g high with 3 T5NO bulbs 18 watts. I dose 10ml of excel daily and 5ml of kelp daily.

I don't see any fish. Without fish you have to dose more excel

What co2 system did you order?

Last edited by Hilde; 09-14-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: change
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not really sure - honestly probably just inattention because I was absolutely exhausted from work.

There's fish, they're just teeny weeny. Endlers, I put a dozen in there a couple days ago. The co2 isn't really fancy, I'm going to see if I can get away with a DIY system for now so I just ordered a diffuser and connections to help me get that going properly - if I have to I'll look into injected.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Not really sure - honestly probably just inattention because I was absolutely exhausted from work.

There's fish, they're just teeny weeny. Endlers, I put a dozen in there a couple days ago. The co2 isn't really fancy, I'm going to see if I can get away with a DIY system for now so I just ordered a diffuser and connections to help me get that going properly - if I have to I'll look into injected.
I feel you. Keep it low tech then. For you will forget to dose excel at times.

DIY with yeast smells like beer. Last longer when many bottles used as here. The flow control system with a paintball tank is under $100. Most Co2 systems cost around $200.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't much mind the beer smell, I work at a bar so I smell it all day anyway!

Good to know on prices - we'll see if I need it.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trim time!

Pre trim

post trim

And the hilarious bucket of hygro & pennywort.

Nothing I've put in there seems to be having too much of an issues (the eriocaulon seems to have thrown the worst melting fit but it is putting out new leaves, so I'm not too worried I've got to order my pinch measures for my ferts but once that comes in I'm going to sit down and hook up co2 and get the ferts going and hopefully knock out the small bit of algae I'm still getting.

...its kind of an ugly trim I ended up doing, but at this point I'm not as concerned about looks. I'll worry about it more later.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Trim time!

...its kind of an ugly trim I ended up doing, but at this point I'm not as concerned about looks. I'll worry about it more later.
Well what ever you are doing is working great. What is the purple plant?

Most people cut really short for you get a lot stem growth from the cut area. So it will probably look fine after a month or sooner.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode