South American River Bottom (Sort of) - 38 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
South American River Bottom (Sort of) - 38 Gallon

Hello all,

Getting back into the fishkeeping hobby after four years off, and trying a real planted tank for the first time. This is my journal for my 38-gallon low-tech planted aquarium that will eventually be home to fish as well. Here are the specifications, which I'll update as things change:

Aquarium dimensions: 38 gallons, 36"x12"x19"

Filter: Rena XP3 canister

Filter media: Eheim Substrat Pro, API Biostars

In/Outflows: CalAqua lily pipes

Heater: Hydor 200-watt inline, Finnex controller

Lighting: Finnex Planted+ 24/7[/B]

Substrate: 2" FloraMax capped with 1-2" National Geographic white sand

Hardscape: Malaysian driftwood, a few river rocks

Plants:

Anubias Nana

Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus), regular and 'windelov'

Java moss

Cryptocoryne spiralis

Cryptocoryne parva

Ludwigia repens

Ludwigia arcuata

Anubias nana 'petite'

Bucephalandra sp. (several different varieties)

Ludwigia sp. 'red'

Ludwigia sp. 'Atlantis'

Ludwigia lacustris

Rotala colorata

Rotala 'hr'a'

Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'

Staurogyne repens

Wisteria

Chainsword Narrow Leaf (Echinodorus tenellus)

Balansae Plant (Cryptocoryne crispatula)

Undulata Cryptocoryne (Cryptocoryne wendtii)

Rotala indica

Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae)

Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus ozelot)

Chilensis (Sagittaria platyphylla)

Amazon Sword Plant - Bare Root (1)

Myrio Green (Myriophyllum pinnatum)

Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri)

Banana plants (Nymphoides aquatica)

Cladophora aegagropila

Blyxa japonica

Willow moss

Intended water parameters: RO water, adding Seachem Equilibrium and Alkaline/Acid Buffers. pH range 6.5 - 7.0; KH 2 degrees; GH 6 degrees

Ferts: EI for low-tech (thanks NilocG for the dry ferts!), Seachem Flourish (stopped CSM+B), Osmocote+ root tabs, Flourish Excel (15mL daily)

Livestock Bolivian rams (6), Cardinal tetras (Paracheirodon axelrodi) (23), Nannostomus unifasciatus (13), Pygmy cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) (16), assassin snails (Clea helena)

Photos from first planting (09/03/2015):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	513969  

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	513977  

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	513985  

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	514017  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by end3r.P; 03-10-2016 at 07:31 PM. Reason: updated specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
If anyone has thoughts on placement of the various plants, whether for aesthetics or health, let me know (for instance, do the "bunch" plants need to be planted with their stems all together in bunches as they are, or should they be spread out? And have I planted anything that needs to instead be affixed to driftwood, like the java fern, or vice versa?).
I would split up the bunched plants for planting. It gives them more room and light to grow. I typically plant them in small groups of 3-5 stems/nodes. For something like Lilaeopsis, dividing it up into smaller groups will also encourage growth.

The anubias and java fern should be the only ones you need to affix to wood/rocks. Make sure their rhizomes are above the substrate.

Oh, and also remove the steel wool, if any, that the potted plants were grown in.

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
FloraMax does not give any nutrients to the plants. It does have a good CEC value.
When the water is saturated/w nutrients it will absorb them and release them when
they get lower in the water. Shut off from the water by sand cancels that out more or
less till you add root tabs into it. Or Osmocote+ capsules. This will supply the FloraMax
with something to absorb and release. CEC is of hardly any purpose in tanks/w EI
regular daily dosing, but in a tank that gets ferts once a week or twice perhaps, it
evens out the fert level in there so the ferts are not so thin towards the next time they are dosed.
Depending on the type of sub etc, I have better luck using curved tweezers to plant stems/w. I hold them so the curved part faces up and grasp the tip of the bottom of the stem and pull them down into the sub.
I have a limited amount of plants in my tanks and I use a slightly modified version of the EI.
I just dose the macros once a week, but since the micros are said not to last as long, twice a week on them.
Remember that EI requires a 50% or more water change each week to prevent any build up.
But if any deficiencies are seen, then you can always increase the dosing to two times a week on the macros.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetea View Post
I would split up the bunched plants for planting. It gives them more room and light to grow. I typically plant them in small groups of 3-5 stems/nodes. For something like Lilaeopsis, dividing it up into smaller groups will also encourage growth.
Thought so. I will split up the bunches tonight.

Quote:
The anubias and java fern should be the only ones you need to affix to wood/rocks. Make sure their rhizomes are above the substrate.
Okay. I don't think I planted any anubias, although I'm not sure what the broadleaf plants in the middle background are (fourth photo from top).

Quote:
Oh, and also remove the steel wool, if any, that the potted plants were grown in.
Done -- I couldn't quite extricate all of it. Hopefully the tiny remaining bits aren't a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
FloraMax does not give any nutrients to the plants. It does have a good CEC value.
When the water is saturated/w nutrients it will absorb them and release them when
they get lower in the water. Shut off from the water by sand cancels that out more or
less till you add root tabs into it. Or Osmocote+ capsules. This will supply the FloraMax
with something to absorb and release.
Very good to know. I plan to add Osmocote+ capsules; they're supposed to be delivered next week.

Also good to know that there's basically no good reason to have done both floramax and sand... oh well. I expect more and more floramax will rise to the top (or rather, sand will settle to the bottom) as I replant and mess around in the tank, so there will be some CEC effect with respect to the water-column ferts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I have a limited amount of plants in my tanks and I use a slightly modified version of the EI.
I just dose the macros once a week, but since the micros are said not to last as long, twice a week on them.
Remember that EI requires a 50% or more water change each week to prevent any build up.
But if any deficiencies are seen, then you can always increase the dosing to two times a week on the macros.
Thanks. So I can calculate the EI dosage for my tank volume but do a 1/3 to a 1/2 of the recommended dosage?
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Okay. I don't think I planted any anubias, although I'm not sure what the broadleaf plants in the middle background are (fourth photo from top).
That looks like a sword so I think you're ok.

Quote:
Done -- I couldn't quite extricate all of it. Hopefully the tiny remaining bits aren't a big deal.
I end up leaving bits in here and there as well and haven't had problems so I think you're OK. And correcting myself here: I think it's actually called stone/rock wool and not steel wool (that's what one would using to clean cookware )

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I tinkered a little with plant placement -- spreading out some of the bunched plants, etc. I also added a couple "Windelov" java ferns and some more Anubias nana to the driftwood. Still very much a work in progress... my plan is to see what grows well (i.e., doesn't die) in the next few weeks, and then I'll re-scape with my favorite plants that do well.

Waiting on ferts and osmocote+ capsules to arrive, probably early next week... hopefully everything will hang in there until then (I've used some API root tabs as a stopgap). Dosing Excel daily.

After a little more research, I also decided to swap out my lighting for the Finnex 24/7 LED fixture, partly for higher light, and partly for the 24/7 setting, which sounds pretty cool. The fixture will arrive by Wednesday of next week. With that and ferts in order by then, CO2 will be my limiting factor. I'm a little worried about algae with the higher PAR lighting and only dosing Excel, but maybe my relatively heavy plant load will help? We'll see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	514329  

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	514337  

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	514345  

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Moved things around a little more -- I've got to try to resist scaping for a few days or these plants are never going to make it...

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just wasn't happy with the aesthetics of my tank, so I went out and found another nice piece of Malaysian driftwood (s/o to Premier Aquatics in Marietta, GA). I was going to replace the boring piece in my tank, but after moving things around, I realized I could repurpose it by flipping it over. Much happier with the look now.

I also generally re-scaped to fit the new look, and I added a few new species:

-Java moss and willow moss on each piece of driftwood
-Ludwigia arcuata (back right), which I hope will grow into a tall-ish thicket
-"Banana plants" (Nymphoides aquatica) front right
-a moss ball (Chladophora aegagropila)

I'd like to add a bunch of tiny Anubias nana 'petite' to the driftwood, but I haven't seen any locally lately. I would also like to add some red/orange/purple with Ludwigia red, AR mini, and Ludwigia lacustris... but not sure where they would go at the moment. Thoughts welcome.

Also, I have removed the Myrio green (turned brown from bottom to top), Rotala indica (melted), and chain sword (yellowed slowly). Not sure whether these were casualties of my early lack of fertilization, low CO2, light, or too-frequent rescapes.

The tank is still cycling -- I had a big nitrite spike, so I did some water changes, and I added some "Seed" for the heck of it (I have serious doubts that it will help).

Comments/advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	517913  

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	517921  

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	517929  

Last edited by end3r.P; 09-14-2015 at 03:05 PM. Reason: additions to post
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm getting a sprinkling of brown diatoms on the glass -- I recall I got them last time I was cycling too. Hopefully it will pass after I'm cycling. I'll scrape them off before I do the water changes at the end.

I also have my first inhabitant -- saw a tiny snail on the glass that must've hitchhiked with my latest batch of plants from the LFS. He may not survive since the tank's being cycled, but we'll see.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update time.

Still cycling... stuck on the nitrite spike. I did a 50% water change last night, but still didn't lower nitrites to a point within the API test range. I may do another 50% change tonight.

On the plus side, I had a couple of new RO tanks and a new line installed, so I can do water changes much more efficiently (no more 1-man bucket brigades). I just add in Equilibrium or Replenish and buffers as it's filling. The only complication is that the tanks are in our crawl space, which will get a little chilly over the winter. I'm a little worried about the temperature swing's effect on the fish that will, someday, be in the tank.

As you can see from the attached photos, plant growth has been pretty good, especially the wisteria and moneywort. I also did a little rescaping.

Sadly, the new growth on the Ludwigia repens (in the middle) is green, so I'm left with no red plants in my tank. Trying to figure out what I might add that will stay red or reddish in these conditions.

Finally, I have a bunch of anubias nana and petite (and a couple buce) coming in this week, which I'll affix to the driftwood.

Thoughts and comments welcome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	520993  

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	521001  

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	521009  

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lots of changes from the last update. I took advantage of TPT community and bought some new plants to add: more Anubias nana petite, Bucephalandra 'green wavy', AR mini, Ludwigia sp. red, 'Atlantis', and lacustris, Rotala colorata, and Blyxa japonica (thanks to klibs for the RAOK for the last two!). I also bought more Ludwigia arcuata. All are now in the tank. Eventually the L. arcuata will form a background, but that could take a while. I took out my remaining swords, which were doing fine but just never looked right in this tank (and the Amazon would have become far too large). I also took out the little banana plants, which were very cool but also just didn't fit in, and the chilensis, which was boring and not tall enough in the background.

After I was done planting, I capped off the white sand in front to make it cleaner looking -- just a thin layer on top of the floramax that had come up from my re-scapings.

The fishless cycle is also finished, and I've added cardinal tetras and an assassin snail. One tetra came in not doing well and didn't make it, but the other 19 seem lively and are coloring up nicely. (No photos of these yet.) I'll wait a little while and then add a group of corydoras pygmaeus, and then, eventually, 4 Bolivian rams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	525482  

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	525490  

Last edited by end3r.P; 10-06-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: because
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice. It's looking better as time passes! The new driftwood placement is much better now.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveBeyond View Post
Very nice. It's looking better as time passes! The new driftwood placement is much better now.

Thanks! I agree, adding the second piece and flipping the first helped a lot.

Now I just have to wait and see how everything grows... AR mini is the main one I'm not sure about without CO2... we'll see.

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added CalAqua lily pipes yesterday. Unfortunately, their suction cups are designed to stick to the back of the tank, but my tank back is spraypainted with a "rough" paint that the cups won't stick to... so I've jury-rigged them for now. If anyone has an idea for affixing these to the back of the tank, let me know...

The cardinal tetras seem to be doing well, and I've seen evidence of the assassin snail's appetite for my pond snails in the form of, well, you guessed it, empty pond snail shells. Photos coming soon.

Last edited by end3r.P; 10-06-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: more details
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not a whole lot to report since last update. I still have 18 healthy cardinal tetras, and they survived their first 50% WC (nitrates at 10ish after the change, so looking good there). I did bring home 5 more assassin snails, as the pond snail population has been booming of late. Hopefully these guys (and gals -- I found a couple mating yesterday) will take care of that. I'm seeing a little bit of BBA on anubias and maybe a little GSA on the glass, but that's probably due to skipping Excel for a few days while the tetras were acclimating. Hopefully it won't progress.

New photos attached -- ignore the floating B. japonica... I'll have to re-plant it :-).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	528106  

Name:	IMG_0081.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	528114  

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	528122  

Derby and Derby like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode