seds' 10 legend: Stars within the haze - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
seds' 10 legend: Stars within the haze

Here's how it looks...
[url]http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/88seds88/DSC_1001.jpg[url]
As of 2011, this tank sucks. It is overrun with algae and vals. I am going to start it over in the fall. But for now, enjoy my journal, as it is reminiscent of days long past when it actually kind of looked good. All the recent photos are so embarrassing that I put them as URLs. Scroll down for actual photos.

THE DAWN OF TIME:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050637.jpg
REALLY LONG TIME AGO
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050699.jpg
LONG TIME AGO
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050742.jpg
BEFORE
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050880.jpg
September 30 2009:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1060283.jpg
While back
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSC_0071.jpg
Relatively Recent:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1070137.jpg
Recenter
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/PC010491.jpg
2nd Last update, 03-14-2010 (hideous)
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/IMG_0561.jpg
How it looked while I was understandably ignoring the journal:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1070152.jpg

-BRAND: Aqua-tech 10 gallon starter kit

-LIGHTING: 2x 24 watt DAYLIGHT T5 light. Really hideous fixture but I'd rather use my old 80 watt 48 inch fixture over my 40 gallon.

-THE DIMENSIONS:
20'' Long x 10'' Deep x 12'' high

-SUBSTRATE: Play sand. I was going to use flourite but any plant substrate is almost impossible to find around here.

FERTILIZATION: Seachem root tabs + Dry fertilizers No Carbon yet. I'll see what I can do about that. Glass diffuser arrived, but CO2 sucks.

-INHABITANTS: About 9 jolly good zebra danios.

PLANT SPECIES:

Brachythecium_rivulare
HOLY CROW this is NOT WILLOW MOSS. I found a stream full of this stuff so I took a rock home. Looks nice. Grown a lot, actually. I have removed a LOT chunks and experimented a few times. Original rock has since been removed. It seems sensitive to BGA, but it is kind of hardy. The species is smaller and less branchy, with wider leaves than willow moss. The old growth is very deep green. I have spread misinformation on willow moss throughout the forum, for which I am very sorry. It seems to be prone to BGA but still chugging along beneath a mesh.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1060042.jpg

Limnophilla sessiliflora
Background plant. Grows like a weed. IS WEED! I have a lot of it. Could it be an alternative fuel source? I could probably use it as either a biofuel or as tinfoil barb food. So far, I have been donating bunches to the LFS. The potamogeton crash didn't affect it. In fact, it prospered during the hard times. Still chugging along, I have planted an even larger forest in my 40 gallon.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050999.jpg

Egeria najas
I HAD a ton of this plant. It is growing in the center right side, kind of close to the front. Grows well. Most of it is in my 35 gallon tank. I have donated a lot to the LFS. Grows even Harder, Better, Faster and Stronger in my 40 gallon.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050921.jpg

[B]
Eleocharis acicularis
Foreground plant.Has a bit of algae, but it is clumping up and sending the occasional runner. I started it over emersed and it was doing OK, so i put it back underwater and so far it is algae free.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1060090.jpg

Lemna Trisulca
2 years ago I saw a lake full of piles of it. It is a sinking plant kind of like pelia. Most beautiful thing I had ever seen. When I found a few bits in a pond, I couldn't resist! It grows kind of fast but it is easy to remove because it grows attached to other specimens. Looks like a star spangled banner... or a cloud, or a canopy of deciduous trees. I had about a gallon un-compacted. I recommend it to everyone! However, It got infected with BGA repeatedly, and after chronic frying it with H2O2 I ended up tossing a pound or two of it out. I have a few sprigs left.

Jungle Val
Great plant, grows very fast and has a lot of runners all over. i have probably 15 of them in my ten gallon tank. The leaves get a bit of fuzzy algae from time to time.

Not much to say of these, but they are there in small amounts...
-Java fern
-Anubias
-Dwarf Saggitaria

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 08-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey everybody, I went to the LFS today (closest day I could go) and after a lot of loitering I finally picked 8 flame tetras. All my plants are cool-water but I couldn't resist. They were 2 bucks each!

I also got a few ghost shrimp.

I am going to move my lone white cloud back to the goldfish tank, but the poor fellow has had enough torment for now. He can stay for a few days. I am not that concerned with ammonia because the plants will get it all. I hope.

If I put pictures of the tank in it's box, and all the equipment, plus the empty tank with substrate and rocks, would that draw more replies??

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 09-28-2009 at 11:46 PM.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
So these are all native species? To be honest that's pretty cool. I'd love to have a tank like that, but there aren't any real good places in this part of Illinois to get stuff :p I'd like to see how all of this grows out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
So these are all native species? To be honest that's pretty cool. I'd love to have a tank like that, but there aren't any real good places in this part of Illinois to get stuff :p I'd like to see how all of this grows out!
Well, technically the first 3 are native to B.C only. There is no elodea of any sort in alberta, but it is present in all directions from the border. Except maybe north. Kind of like rats being everywhere but here.

EDITS: whoops, apparently Elodea bifoliata is present in Alberta. But this source also claims it is absent in B.C. You can use this website to find out what is in Illinois. Like, for instance, Illinois Pondweed or something. It also says what in States the plants are endangered or protected.
E. Bifoliata
http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSear...ordquery=ELBI2
E. canadensis
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ELCA7
E. Nuttallii
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ELNU2

Anyways, one of my Flame tetras didn't make it through the first night...

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

WHILE EVERYONE WAS IGNORING MY THREAD, I added several new plant species:

-Eleocharis acicularis
-Limnophilla sessiliflora
-Egeria najas
-Myriophyllum verticallatum
-Ultricularia Vulgaris
-Potamogeton sp. (??)

I noticed some ich on a flame tetra. I turned up the heat today to 80 degrees (F) and I will turn it up a bit more to 88-89 ...later on.

If I keep it this hot for a few days, nothing bad will happen (I hope) how does one defeat ich in a planted tank with invertebrates?

SPEAKING OF WHICH, if you want to see my ghost shrimp on another page, I got a picture of it into the ghost shrimp profile.

All the plants really took off, especially Elatine triandra and elodea nuttalli (the funky looking one) and the bladderwort.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 09-13-2009 at 04:44 AM.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey how about an updated full tank shot?
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
Nice finds on the local plants! It will be interesting to see how they handle the heat. I cant help but wonder if the Tetras feel like they are on vaction. LOL
I agree about the full tank shot as well.

post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate McFin View Post
Nice finds on the local plants! It will be interesting to see how they handle the heat. I cant help but wonder if the Tetras feel like they are on vaction. LOL
I agree about the full tank shot as well.
Yeah, I was a bit worried about the plants. I turned the heat to 89 degrees. now there is a ridiculous amount of bubbles on the milfoil and pondweed. I dunno what caused it, but I doubt a plant I added yesterday would be pearling already, especially a potamogeton species. (They die back like a crypt when disturbed)

I added pictures of U. vulgaris and E. najas to the main post... plus a FULL TANK SHOT due to "popular demand." I don't know if anyone will notice at first, but I switched the positions of elodea canadensis with the ambulia, and put all the callitriche sp. that didn't melt into a patch in the center. (to make room for egeria najas and pondweed) There are a few stragglers here and there, but I'll get to that later on.

UPDATE (SEPTEMBER 2, 2009!)

The two leaf elodea has melted completely. I took out a green strand or two to rescue it, but most of that has melted too. There are very few green leaves of this species left in my collection... We'll see if I can rescue the species from... EXPIRATION Elodea Nuttalli and Canadensis are doing poorly, but I have some living stems left. I turned the temperature down a bit. It will be by 79 tonight, (september 2) and in the morning I will turn it down to 24 celcius again.

The najas sp. has finally acclimated and is growing nicely. I don't think it minds the heat too much. Egeria najas has taken off like a rocket. Same for L. sessiliflora, but not as much.

UPDATE (SEPTEMBER 7, 2009)

The potamogeton "foliosis" has shown signs of growth, it didn't die back much at all. Two leaf elodea is gone for good. I added Potamogeton zosteriformis and another unidentified pondweed. The leaves are a bit large for the tank, but I am saving it for my 35 gallon. I removed 90% of the substrate to set this one up. I also only have 1 goldfish now. Once I start up this tank again, it will be great. Mineralized topsoil maybe?

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 09-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I updated the FULL TANK SHOT.

What has happened since september 7?

-Potamogeton foliosis was growing in a really ugly way, so I thinned it. I took off all the little side shoots and planted them in the ground, removed all the dead leaves (basically the original ones) It almost looks like it was removed, but it wasn't.

-Najas started growing but it has died back.

-Look at the first picture! I have an immense amount of moss compared to what I started with.

-Milfoil is almost none existent. 2 small stems remain.

-Elatine triandra is sewing seeds all over the tank. There are a few shoots in the Brachythecium rivulare. I keep pulling pieces out that get covered in algae... I guess that's why there is no carpet yet.

-The callitriche has grown exponentially, I have cut and replanted it a few times. I can't tell which species is which anymore, round leaves and narrow leaves are on the same plant.

-Some strange pondweed I found started growing, it has translucent bronze green leaves with well defined veins. The newest growth is pink! The leaves break very easily. Possibly POTEMOGETON ALPINUS

TOTALLY UN COLOR EDITED!!!

I am beginning to seriously consider CO2. The large amount of calcium and the death of milfoil, along with the lack of growth in dwarf hairgrass... it seems connected. Finding Tom Barr's referances towards the importance of CO2 has changed my mind.

Drop checkers... reactors... what does this all mean? I guess I'm going to find out!

I am starting to get collectoritis. I blame herbivores in my other 2 tanks.

I have a lot of Egeria najas. I decided to take it all out to see just how much I have:

500 ml of it, AKA 1/8th of a gallon of it. I switched it's position with Elodea nuttallii and E. canadensis, see HERE:

Elodea Nuttallii:

EDIT: Thursday, September 17.
Just did a major hack at Egeria najas and "sago pondweed." I tried to take a picture but it was cloudy. Noting worth seeing, except for my potamogetons up close:
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/P1050990.jpg
mind you, the picture is poor quality but you see what I mean. Sago pondweed looks a lot different when you cut off and plant all the sideshoots (which grow roots at the base)
Looks a lot like a bigger Potamogeton foliosus.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 03-10-2010 at 03:43 AM.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I REALLY like your tank!!

kENNY
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

THANKS!

I'll update the FTS today.

DONE. Note how the right side is underwhelming. I don't like how it looks as a whole, but I like each species that is in it. Najas has bounced back and is looking good again. I forgot to take a picture of it though, I removed it before the FTS.

AFTER

BEFORE

Compare and contrast. Of course, the time of day is different, so Ambulia is closed in my TODAY picture. I cut the callitriche a little too. Milfoil has been moved to the front corner, so I could get sago pondweed planted better. There is a side shoot on one piece.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 09-26-2009 at 04:39 AM.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw
cool tank man! i like how you used some local plants.i really dig the Egeria najas i believe? is that the "mossy" looking plant on the towel? maybe you could ad some hard scape to your tank to make it "pop" there must be some great rocks alberta you could find. a warning about dwarf hairgrass i have it in 2 tanks both high light ,co2 and ei. in the 2.5 it stays about 2.5 to 3" long in the 20g its easy 6" long and growing. all in all great tank eh!

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
cool tank man! i like how you used some local plants.i really dig the Egeria najas i believe? is that the "mossy" looking plant on the towel? maybe you could ad some hard scape to your tank to make it "pop" there must be some great rocks alberta you could find. a warning about dwarf hairgrass i have it in 2 tanks both high light ,co2 and ei. in the 2.5 it stays about 2.5 to 3" long in the 20g its easy 6" long and growing. all in all great tank eh!
I was going to wait till tomorrow but...

Thanks for the reply! Egeria najas is indeed the "mossy" plant on the towel. If you look close, you can see a CANADIAN nickel in the middle, for scale. I updated the pictures and information of my plants, if you click the links.

As for hardscape, I have soaked a small branch but I couldn't think of a way to incorporate it into the hardscape. Once I get the potamogetons growing better, I'll wedge it in there and attach a bit of Brachythecium rivularem moss to it. As for rocks... I... can't find a place to put them. The moss is on a large flat round rock. It doesn't have a dynamic shape, and I wouldn't want to stand it up.

***URGENT NEWS REPORT***

Elodea nuttallii and canadensis were BOTH present in Alberta: a canal called the snye has incredible abundance of two species thought to not exist in Alberta. Did I get a photo? no, but I collected specimens. Among such specimens was POTAMOGETON PRAELONGIS, very similar to richardsonii in beauty. Only, it's leaves have lines along them and are broader, and at the top there is an interesting shape...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22

Last edited by seds; 03-10-2010 at 03:44 AM.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

HELLO everybody (hi, doctor Nick!)

I have added a few things to my tank. Mainly, I have more dwarf hairgrass, I think it's acclimated. As for sago pondweed, I don't think it liked being trimmed. It stopped growing. I added lemna trisulca. I am not sure I like it. It is stuck in the Potamogeton praelongis' leaves. Potamogeton prealongis has started growing! At every node, (EVERY NODE) there is a new side shoot started.

I took some shots here!

In sunlight! I hate how yellow everything looks with my light on. I just finished scraping algae, so it's cloudy. In this case, I thought it improved the effect. PS, what is the rosette plant with a spoon-leaf in the lower right corner? IDK what it is! (it's native too...)

Callitriche 'narrow leaf.'

Elodea canadensis, fresh from the snye. I got a photo now. Looks funky. There is a tiny bit of new growth, and this time it is the same form as what it looked like when I picked it.

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve my scape, say. I really want some feedback!

I ORDERED A GLASS DIFFUSER ONLINE!!!! DIY CO2 here I come!

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank is looking great!!! Do you still have those Von Rios? They are one of my favorites but without a huge tropical tank to put some in, I'm decided I'm going to do them again later...I still have 3 of 5 in my 10 though!

Kenny

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode