10 gallon moss tree rescape changed to 30g - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
10 gallon moss tree rescape changed to 30g

I previously had this setup as a heavily planted tank but I sold alot of plants out of it. Now it is looking bare and ugly. I'm planning on doing a moss tree rescape on this. I've posted a basic layout of how want to try and do this. Sorry for the really rough drawing. I am no artist.

Basic layout is moss tree on the right on a small sloping hill and the rest of the plants on a hill to the left.Maybe a few small plants to go at the base of the trunk. Bit of rocks around it also.
I would like to use the orangish colors of the ludwigia to give a bit of a sunset feel. I would use a sky blue background.

Tell me what you think. Give me any help you can. I'm still new at this and looking for help.

Edit: it came to my attention I left vital info out.
Tank: 10g Walmart tank
Filter: Tom's rapid mini
lights: 2 13w cfl (will be changing this out for a 10 watt led floodlight later on)
Substrate: MG organic soil with larger black sand cap
Hardscape: sieryu stone and manzanita wood

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anyone?115 views and no one has anything to say?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: .
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Think if the moss trees look good it will come together no matter what you choose to do.If i were to do something like that i would probably do mountains with tiny trees all over the place and short cut hairgrass under them put the smallest trees in the back and the bigger ones up front to give it some depth . im new to this but iver thought about trying that n my 75 gal.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Something I thought about the other day but forgot to tell you. The hair grass may get too tall for what you are wanting in this set-up. I don't have experience with hairgrass but, I've seen reports of hairgrass not taking low trimming well. Maybe someone who has experienced this will chime in. Maybe look into H. tenellum? Also, you could try Juncus repens and trim the stalks as they appear for a grass effect.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A little update on this tank. I bought a beautiful piece of manzanita wood from rballi. Thank you very much rballi. Wonderful piece and a great price. The wood did turn out to be to big for my 10g so I've moved this scaping idea to a 30g tank I was keeping 3 hatchling turtles in. They have grown larger so I moved them to their permanent home. A 1300g backyard pond. I will be change the lights to either 2 23w CFLs or to 3 13w cfls. I have been playing around with some placement ideas and with a little help from hdbenson I have settled on the layout in the picture. I now have the wood soaking in a bucket to water log it and remove any tannins.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

That wood sure will make a nice tree for the moss!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another update. I have planted what plants I have available. Unknown hairgrass that I'm going to try and trim to get a carpet of grass. Not sure if it's going to work. If not I'll buy some dwarf hairgrass to put in place of it. Behind that I have juncus repens. Then lobelia cardinalis behind and to the right. Very back is narrow leaf ludwigia.on the left front we hydrocotyle japan, another unknown plant to the left and right of the tree trunk. Juncus repens behind that.more ludwigia in the back. Monday I should get in some AR mini and some Cuphea anagalloidea. The Cuphea will fill the empty spot where the pump is. The AR will go in front of the tree trunk. I'll probably go get alittle more juncus and hairgrass this weekend to fill everything in a bit more. Also tomorrow I will start adding moss to the tree. Not posting how I'm going to do it but I saw a guy use cut up sponges with moss glued to the sponge. Gave a nice full look to the canopy even for the moss not being grown in yet.I put in a pump that move 300 l/h. Just to have some water movement until I get a filter for it. Tomorrow I will stop by Lowe's and Walmart to pick up some 23w or 26w cfl bulbs. Right now I have a 24" flourescent unknown wattage, 45w cfl that's kind of old, and a 15w led bulb in the right corner. I'm sure that's way to much light but its only temporary.would like your thoughts on this setup so far. Any changes to make? Will 2 23w or 26w 6500k full spectrum cfl's be to much for this tank? Can anyone recommend a good filter that is not noticable? Don't want to use any hob filter and had been thinking about getting some type of eheim canister filter. If not I may go with just a powerhead with a diy pre-sponge filter. Please give me some feedback even if it's "hey your tank is crap".

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:25 PM. Reason: .
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
. Also tomorrow I will start adding moss to the tree. Not posting how I'm going to do it but I saw a guy use cut up sponges with moss glued to the sponge. Gave a nice full look to the canopy even for the moss not being grown in yet.
Hey, I've seen that video from Dennis. It was really neat. So far I have not tried it but I'm looking forward to seeing yours done.

If you're really wanting a not noticeable filter then canister would suit more than a sponge I think.

The juncus looks pretty neat, and good luck with the grass carpet effort.

Daisy Mae V
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you daisy! I don't have the same sponge as hI'm though. Think a common scotch Brite pad pad like the pic would work? Not using blue.will get some green ones. Also I agree on wanting to use a canister filter.only is cost at the moment. I could do the powerhead for under $50 where as the canister looks to be $100+. Any cheaper good canisters to use other then the eheim? Guess I'm off to grab plants and start the moss tree.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: .
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

The Scotch Brite should work, just need to trim so there's no harsh edges.

Can't comment on canisters for cost/function. My tanks are too small to use them with. If cost is an issue, them why not go for the DIY sponge like you mentioned? It will just take longer for the plants to hide the filter body.

Daisy Mae V
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's really not that I don't have the money. IM a penny pincher and try to do stuff as cheap as possible. Sorry I forgot the picture. My head isn't right today.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: .
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 06:30 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think a hang on back filter would be best with that tank. I'm not a fan of the current one, it takes away from a great design. The way your substrate looks is fantastic and that driftwood is perfect. Willow moss would probably work well with it for your tree idea. It may be difficult to get that hairgrass to carpet without CO2. Carpeting plants are hard to do well with a low tech set up. I've used dwarf sag as a decent foreground plant.

I like what this tank could be! If I were you I'd try to find a cheap HOB filter or maybe a small corner sponge filter.

Do you know what you will stock the tank with?
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

If I could get a hob with a clear intake I wouldn't mind quite as much. Just an annoyance to me seeing the black intake and I've tried hiding it in another tank and all it did was suck up my plants killing them or just reducing flow. Diy co2 is going in today. I have 3 glass diffusers on the way (only one is for this tank). I only have java moss right now so that's what I will start for now. Really like Fissidens fontanus so will probably change it out for that soon.I'll have to check out willow moss too. The pump is only temporary. Only one I had that isn't in a tank and only using to have a little water movement. Stocking is still in question. I'm thinking something small and a little color. I want a pretty good school of something. Like 20 of something and maybe 3 or 4 bottom feeders. Some cories perhaps. Stocking will be around 2 months from now so I have Alot of time to figure that out. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

I do have dwarf sag but I've used it as a foreground plant in 3 tanks already and now I'm just looking for a change.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: ps
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good news! My plants from treyLcham came early so I planted them immediately. I think they are perfect for this tank and I can't wait for the Cuphea to grow in. I also went and grabbed more grass and juncus repens. I also found 3 new species I didn't have that will be going into my backyard pond. Also took my fishing pole but only caught 1 bass and had one get away. I haven't gotten to the moss yet. My back was hurting from being bent over the tank so I'm taking a little break. I'm going to let everything settle in and get acclimated before I start doing any trimming.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: .
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
lookin good! will be so great grown in

my 8 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 35 gallon journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode