mr.BIg second Tank. 55gal. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post mr.BIg second Tank. 55gal.

Im starting the process of preparing my second tank. I bought a used 55 gal. that needed some TLC. I just got done razor blading off the calcium and scum that was built up near the rim. I also removed the old silicon and resealed the tank. now i need to wait 2 days for the silicone to cure.

meanwhile, I'm just doing some research on mineralizing the top soil. It seems easy enough to do, but i just need to find a place to do it because i live in a apartment. good thing i operate my own business, which have a decent size back parking lot which doesn't receive too much traffic.

i also need to run to some local store to pick up some minor stuff, such as wood, need to make a base for the tank, some muriate of potash, red clay, and domoine..? how ever you spell it. and the remaining stuff i need to order online.

As for my current material on hand, i have gathered the fallowing:

55gal tank
sunsun-502 canister filter
2 way adjustable air pump
topsoil
red lava rock
pool filter sand

and a small tank full of Fancy Tail guppies that will be receiving a new home within time.

Some questions: I'm planning on planting heavily in this tank. making a sand play ground, a low growing HC? in the foreground, mid side mid ground and a back ground. the center piece will be a few rock i got from a local stone yard.

anyways, i wanted to know what kind of lighting(budget) should i get? maybe a led light that has 90+ diode. or should i just make it?

With a tank of 55Gal. should i consider a water heater? I do live in south Florida and its always warm, lowest i experiment with ambient temp was mid 60's. but this was only for 1 week last year. other then that, its always hot.

I really can't think of anything else right now beside the fact that i need to take a shower and go pick up my little girl from school.

Ill post here for my vital update along the way, with some pictures. and any questions that may come to.

Thank you all for reading,

mr.BIG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The update. Silicone is dried/curd. And I just built this rig to hold up the tank. I used a total of 35ft of 2x4 lumber. Total to build the stand was somewhere near $30. I still need to put walls on it near the end and also build and screw down a platform/shelf under it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441161530030-315848290_1441161547801.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	513625  

Name:	1441161592882357186223_1441161609345.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	513633  

Name:	14411616460191082302645_1441161660225.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	513641  

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
What are the dimensions of the tank?

I haven't seen a stand built like that, looks a little worrysome to me... I guess it's like a table though with added leg "bracings". Just have seen much sturdier looking ways to build a wood stand for cheap. Not bashing at all, just hoping the design is safe to use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode