10g Buce Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
10g Buce Tank

So I had my betta in a 15 gallon community tank. After learning several lessons with my first tank 3/4 months ago, I am scrapping the current 15 and moving the betta to a 10g and the rest to a 40b.

Here is a shot of the 15g that's getting re-purposed:

There are 2 pieces of driftwood, 1 huge and 1 small forming the hardscape. The plants consist of:

Floating:
Red Root Floaters

Foreground:
S Repens

Background (R&L)L
Crypt Wendtii Bronze

On Driftwood/Buce List:
2 x Silver Powder
2 x Dark Achilles/Dark Skeleton King
2 x Kedagang Classic Round
3 x Arrogant Blue Mini
1 x Lamandau Mini Red ‘Valerie’
3 x Lamandau Mini Purple
2 x Lamandau Mini Brown
2 x Lamandau Mini Dark Magenta
2 x Mini Velvet
2 x Theia Gray
2 x Theia Purple
3 x Dark Godzilla
3 x Giant Dark Velvet
1 x Giant Centipede
5 x Quovadis "Icy Blue"
1 x Aridarum “Purple Underleaf”
2 x Brownie Fire Bird
1 x Brownie Metalica
1 x Brownie Phantom
1 x Brownie Royal Blue
1 x Sekadau Velvet
1 x Theia brown
1 x red wave
1 x brownie upper ghost
2x Brownie Blue
1x Kedagang 2011
1x blue rose
2x Brownie phoenix
2x Super blue
2x Green Swords
1x Super mini aridarum
2x Theia Blue
2x Sanggau mini
2x Entikong
1x theia round
1 x brownie ghost

Possible additions:
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana "Petite"
Java Moss

Personal Desk:

Initial setup:

Mini Setup for Cycling:

Starting to scape:

The rest will need glued. Water is dosed and cycling, so waiting till tomorrow.

I am planning to introduce painted fire red shrimp first, so the java moss is for them untill I can get a colony going. Then the betta will move over. He has not attacked any yet, but I would like them to breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks good. Can't wait to see when everything gets planted. Just recently became a big fan of Buces!

Did you happen to get some of those buces from Ebi/Mike? I'm about to order a bunch from him.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Great looking tank! Nice collection as well! You have some plants that I am definitely jealous of.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:36 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great,i love buce too,luckily im from indonesia
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the compliments. Waterlife - Yes, all the buce, most S repens, and the AR mini arrived yesterday from Mike.

Last edited by Sarlindescent; 08-27-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: removing duplicate
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Haha I thought I noticed the list of species looked similar, although you seem to have some other not listed which I was also interested in. Looks like you might of gotten the last of the Dark Achilles/Dark Skeleton King :,( hahah just kidding, it's not that hard to come across. Looks like he did add a few new species to his list.

Man, I thought I was spending a lot of money in Buces, looks like you went all out! haha
Keep us updated on the progress! Look forward to see it.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Haha I thought I noticed the list of species looked similar, although you seem to have some other not listed which I was also interested in. Looks like you might of gotten the last of the Dark Achilles/Dark Skeleton King :,( hahah just kidding, it's not that hard to come across. Looks like he did add a few new species to his list.

Man, I thought I was spending a lot of money in Buces, looks like you went all out! haha
Keep us updated on the progress! Look forward to see it.
Yeah, there were a few more I was interested in, but tapped for $$$. BTW, the Giant Centipede is one of my favorites which I was not expecting. Highly recommend it. (It is in the middle of the picture up front. Looks way better in person than in the pics I have seen.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the recommendation! I assume that is the "regular" variety of Giant Centipede and not the "pink" variety. Out of the blues and purples which of the Buce species had the nicest/most striking colors? Can be hard to tell in pictures, so would be nice to hear your in-person opinion. Any other recommendations of Buce species that you would say are a must have!?
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So here is my list of favorites, granted I tend to prefer the reds and browns, and my purple and blues are not as dark right now. Honestly, most of the colors are not like photos yet and WILL NOT be. You are buying 1 node of 1 plant. What grows from that plant will then have more color.

With that said, my list of must haves:
Any and all Brownies - these have the best color and are a nice size
Giant Centipede - great color/lines/shape
Red Wave - Little large than the centipede
Dark Godzilla - really like the dark top rippled leaves with a light bottom and red base'
Green Swords - This was a freebie, but makes for a nice accent piece (was not expecting to like this and was hoping it wasn't thrown in...glad it was)
Any Kedagang - very similar in size to the brownie with great color
Sekadau Velvet
Theia Purple

Note: I would probably not have bought as many mini sp had I seen them before hand. Granted, with this many sp in a 10 gallon, its a good thing I did, but it will take a LOT of patience for the minis to grow in to have a significant presence in the tank. Also, when things grow in with my more color, my opinions will grow, but my sample size of largely 1 node per sp is very small.

Note 2: for perspective, I will upload a semi labeled pic of the tank, but I don't have time till after work.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Is this tank concidered heavily planted enough for celestial pearl danios?
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well I got home late tonight, so I can't see everything in the tank well. But off the top of my head, here is a rough shot of the plants. I am holding a standard form key at the bottom for perspective.

Note: right click and view image to read the text. Also, the pic washed out a bit due to adding more cycled media to the tank to speed up cycling.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlindescent View Post
Is this tank concidered heavily planted enough for celestial pearl danios?
Never got around to saying thank you for the recommendations and taking the time to take and label that pic. Appreciated that.

Hasn't been that long since we last talked, but has your recommendations changed at all? I'm about to order from Ebi/Mike within 24 hours. By the way, he has some new plants and a little additional sale/discount going on right now haha.

Oh, and regarding the CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danios), by heavily planted they mean a tank with plenty of hiding places for them throughout the tank so they feel safe and have plenty of places to retreat to if they feel in danger. More so being plants that can hide the fish, such as moss, or thickets of stems, etc.. Buces can work, although right now the size of them doesn't really create the ideal hiding spots, but still works. And honestly, IME, my CPDs (group of 14) are very bold and not skittish at all, not running to hide at all, they just use the plants as a "house/shelter" they like to go in and out of. Really. My 20+ schools of tetras and rasboras are more skittish. But yes, I believe your buce tank is just fine in it's current state to house CPDs.

Got any update pics of the tank more put together?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still happy with my selection. I had some melting but that was expected. Changed the scape a bit, but not done yet. Scrapped the s repens and replaced them with some buce tied to lava rock I buried. Also, scrapped the java moss and added flame moss tied to rocks in a few places. I am between CPDs and ember tetras at this point to add with painted fire cherries. Now if I can get these **** nitrites to GO AWAY........

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey, what are the red stems/underleaf plants on the far right against the side glass?

Yeah I hear Dark Achilles can melt quite a bit.

Just so you know, I remember hearing people say even CPDs will eat the really small shrimplets, but if enough ground cover and other dense hiding places for the shrimp, most should survive long enough to grow to a size big enough to not get eaten. I think CPDs mouths are a tiny bit smaller than Ember tetras, but tetras are a little more active hunter compared to CPDs. But both species are doable, just preference in appearance. I do think the CPDs would be more entertaining to watch, mine play with each other throughout most of the day. The ember tetras might school some, but once comfortable they will be like neon tetras and just hover around. The CPDs dotted bodies kind of go with the speckled Buces also haha. There are even tinier fish, like Chili Rasbora and the other similar species, very tiny, but some can have some pretty nice coloration.

Last edited by WaterLife; 09-04-2015 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Hey, what are the red stems/underleaf plants on the far right against the side glass?
Its Theia Round. It has a red stem, green underleaf. The AR mini is behind it, which is why it seems like red underleaf. Pink lady is a little close to red stem, pink under, but I don't have any of that. Red Wave may also have red under, but can;t check atm.

Thanks for the recommendation on fish. I am planning to let the RCS have a couple months to multiply before I add the fish, accept the oto. At that point, I think they should breed enough that the ones that get eaten will be negligible. Didn't think about the dots thing, good idea. Lastly, I have a pretty much rasbora tank I am planning. Just made a thread tonight in general about my plans to get some feedback before I move forward. Was considering some form of microrasbora till I decided on the stocking for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode