The Bichir Bar - Prehistoric Polypters Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

PTrader: (23/100%)
The Bichir Bar - Prehistoric Polypters Planted Tank

This is my oldest tank. I have had it for about 8 years and its held all kinds of different things. Its a little scratched from 8 years of rescaping with lots of lava rock so excuse the pictures. I recently upgraded the lights and filter from 2 standard eclipse hoods, to a 4x36W PC with a fluval 404. I also added driftwood and lots of windolev java fern and java moss. I plan on add some additional anubis as well and maybe a big sword. I want to keep an anchient/prehistoric theme with this tank.
The inhabitants are 4 polypterus (P.senegalus, P.ornatipinnis, P.weeksii, P.palmas polli), a lare marble goby, a common plego and a silver catfish. I have had the catfish so long I dont even remember what kind of catfish it is anymore.
Here is a pic of the tank. I need to do something with the background soon, but I cant decide what to do.

Here is my senegalus bichir. This is my first bichir and I have had him for nearly 5 years. After getting this guy, I was hooked. He has a great personality and was the reason I ended up getting all the other ones. He is very social and curious as to goings on outside the tank. We call him Big Bichir and he rules the tank peacefully. I never have fights among all the livestock.

resting in the rocks, you can see he looks curious as to what I am doing.

The next bichir I got was the ornate bichir. I have had this one about 4 years now. We call him Tom because hes always peeping out at you from the rocks. Tom is actually female and my only bichir chick. Tom is a masterful hunter and goldfish stand no chance against him. He likes to swim around with big bichir.

The next two bichirs I got about 2 years ago. The first is the palmas poli. This one is by far the most active of all my bichirs and prefers open water to hiding in the rocks. Poli is also a voracious hunter and gets along well with all the others in the tank. The green eyes are awesome.

The last bichir, and smallest of my bunch is the reclusive weeksii. This guy hides constantly and I rarely see him. He always comes out last for food. He has a really cool pattern but he is very sketchy and hard to photograph.

Here is TANK! An awesome marble goby. This guy hides out in caves all day and really only comes out to get floating staple food. At night, if there are goldfish he absolutly destroys them. If he was inclined I think he could eat any bichir in the tank, but he never takes notice of them at all.

And good old catfish in Catfish cave. This cave seems to stay through every evolution of rescaping and this guy is always at home. He gets 100% of anythingthat falls to the bottom.

I havent seen many planted tanks with bichirs so I wanted to see how this would work out. Obviously I couldnt use delicate plants but the anubis, windolev and moss are easy to keep. I use minimal ferts on this one and no co2. I am really happy with how it looks right now so hopefully you do as well. I will post more pics when I get more plants. Thanks for looking!

***110g Prehistoric Theme Polypterus Planted Tank ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

***84g Fluval Osaka 320***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval Pimp**Uno Cinco** (15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Awesome ferns and that one bichir is beautiful. Super cool fish

-Chris

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Very awesome. They look like something like a pike cichlid, but are obviously much different. I may have to look into these guys one of these days... Thanks for the post.

Charlie

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
What a cool tank! Love the inhabitants. They look pretty big. It would be hard for me to feed them goldfish though... I know it's the way of nature...

You know what I think might be cool in the background - Echino Vesuvius. It's pretty tough and grows about a foot high. Is that high enough? You could make a soil hill for them. I think all the curls would really match with the overall tank look.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Whoa, what do you feed that goby?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I love this tank. I'm thinking of getting some eels soon and have been tossing around ideas on how to scape it. I'll be looking back at this one for some inspiration.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

Wow, Thank you for the compliments everyone! MFK.com has a great section on poly's if anyone wants to see more/better pics and info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonhzilla View Post
Whoa, what do you feed that goby?
Cichlid Staple Pellets with occasional bloodworms and feeder goldfish every other week or so. The LFS near me has these guys 3x the size, but not nearly as healthy.

[quote=Tex Gal;893865]What a cool tank! Love the inhabitants. They look pretty big. It would be hard for me to feed them goldfish though... I know it's the way of nature...

quote]

My wife was the same way at first. Now she asks me every other day when we are getting more feeder fish. This tank also doubles as my community tank dead fish disposal unit.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
I like it a lot. We see so many tanks with dutch or Amano influence, that a tank like this is a real treat.
Great job.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Those are awesome. I would love to keep a few with my Blood Parrots in my 55g. But I wont get rid of my cory schools them, im sure they would get eaten by the Birchirs.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
That tank is very appealing to look at, and the fish are awesome. Good job!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is an awesome tank. A leopard ctenopoma would fit in great, they're from the same region, and you could also add a delhezi, the patterns on them are nice.

How big is the ornate? Seems kind of small to be 4 years old.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

wow, lots of action on this thread today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
I like it a lot. We see so many tanks with dutch or Amano influence, that a tank like this is a real treat.
Great job.
Thanks man! I really wanted something different with this one. Kind of bummed my anubis flowered and my plego ate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Those are awesome. I would love to keep a few with my Blood Parrots in my 55g. But I wont get rid of my cory schools them, im sure they would get eaten by the Birchirs.
Yes, they would be eaten very quickly. My bichirs even eat ramshorns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
That tank is very appealing to look at, and the fish are awesome. Good job!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
This is an awesome tank. A leopard ctenopoma would fit in great, they're from the same region, and you could also add a delhezi, the patterns on them are nice.

How big is the ornate? Seems kind of small to be 4 years old.
You know, I kind of feel all my bichers are a bit small for their age. The Ornate is about 9-10 inches. They get fed regularly and seem quite healthy so Im not all that concerned. The ornate was only about 4 inches when I got her, so she has more than doubled in size.
I like the delhezi also, but finding one the right size for the tank is tough. The only ones I have come across are either monsters or dinks. I have no idea what the lepord thing is, Ill have to check it out!

Thanks again for stopping to look and for the feedback!

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Tanks A'lot

[quote=FSM;905199]This is an awesome tank. A leopard ctenopoma would fit in great, they're from the same region, and you could also add a delhezi, the patterns on them are nice.
quote]

Dang, I do believe you are right. Thats a cool lookin fish and it would definately fit the tank theme!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
There aren't too many tanks that make go wow but this is definitely one of them
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Great tank and super cool fish. Never seen a planted tank with those fish before.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode