Past Setups - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Past Setups

I have for years, had to cycle through pictures on my phone to look at my old setups. Each of these aquarium setups have faded into shadow as all Jedi do. But i thought it would be good housekeeping to keep a log of my Planted tank(s) journey.

I had kept your standard 10 gallon with plastic plants and assorted goldfish or convicts at several points in my childhood, and setup a hand me down 29 after college while living in Chicago. Wanting to up my game, i looked into plants, and was completely intimidated by the art of nature style aquariums. I decided Aquaponics would be more up my alley.

The first tank i purchased for myself ran for about 2 years. a 55 with comet goldfish and a ebb and flow hydroponics bed with a 10 gallon sump.

Oh the produce it produced!

2 and half years ago, my s/o and I packed up our Midwest lives and moved to Seattle, where i setup basically the same system in a more compact footprint.

Here's where the magic started happening.

I stumbled onto dustin's fishtanks and say what you want about his volume, he has a wealth of media to absorb. I really liked the idea of a dirted tank being the closest thing to a wetland we can replicate in aquaria. (i'm a restoration engineer for a living)

I started slow with a 10 gallon, but that gradually ballooned into multitankitis.

Picked up a 40 long off craigslist

Started to get nervous about a chip in the 40 long and swapped it out for 2 20's

took a little 2.5 to work

It was around this time that i started to realize that having several tanks, was stretching me too thin, so I got rid of the 40,20s,10 and aquaponics system, and focused on two tanks.

A 55 gallon riparium that gradually let to my love of crypts. and a 33 for stem plants to practice some aquascaping techniques.

initial planting

grown in

dutch style 33

I eventually even scrapped the 55 in favor of a crypt heavy 33.

I rebuilt the stand and cleared out all the empty tanks, making the room usuabe once again for things other than a fishroom

Sorry about the repeated trys to get the pictures right.

thanks for looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nbr1rodeoclown; 08-27-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bump because i couldn't figure out pics yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice! Being a Seattlelite now, any chance you have been to Aquarium Zen?

The Dueling 20's Journal

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Very cool. I got a Aquarium Zen store vibe from looking at the pics of your rack(s).
Yeah, Steve (owner) at Aquarium Zen (Seattle, WA) is a good guy. Great shop for anyone who likes planted tanks! Definitely check that place out if you haven't already.
He even had a Aquaponics kit for sale, but it looks like your DIY ones are great as well (which is what I planned to do to save some dough )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh yes, steve knows me well. I'm in there bugging him every other week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode