Looking for advice on a 2.5 gallon nano low tech/budget - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for advice on a 2.5 gallon nano low tech/budget

Hey all,

So I am planning on setting up a low tech 2.5 or 5 gallon (havent decided yet, but lets assume I choose 2.5g) and I am looking for advice on almost every aspect.

I will list some questions below as well as some ideas I am having, but I really want you to have fun with this and give me a cool idea or a dream tank of yours that never came to fruition that may fall within the parameters I am looking to implement. Here goes;

I am looking to keep this project under $100 total that achieves the goal of a truly unique aquarium (not sure what that means exactly yet). Here is what I wont need to buy:
- 2.5 gallon tank
- co2 rig (I have a fluval nano co2 20g on hand)
- filter (aquaclear 20, seeded from my main planted tank)
- Substrate (I have 5lb of inert black sand, considering using it as a cap for something else or just buying a small bag of flourite or whatever you guys recommend).
- I plan to dose Flourish and Excel, and Iron since I will be buying the fundamentals pack sold by Seachem

Here is what I don't have that I will need to consider:
- Lighting
- Flora - looking for low tech plants that will thrive and that will fill out the tank well
- Fauna - thinking of shrimp only, not sure yet
- Decor

I really want your opinions here guys, as well as any tips or tricks to consider.

Running list (with links) of the items most highly rated by you guys which I will use in my setup as well as a price point for each item:

Lighting:
Ferts: Seachem Plant Pack Fundamentals (http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-Plant-Fundementals-different-100ml/dp/B0002DGNIS) - $12
Substrate:
Plants:

Like I said I am trying to keep the entire project under $100, if possible that would be amazing. I realize however that a quality light could run me up to like $75, but I still think it is possible to achieve a stunning effect on a tight budget if we all pool our ideas and experiences together. Thanks guys; I hope this helps anyone looking into a nano setup that is looking for ideas/inspiration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
check out Truaqua

They have great deals, and a lot of them are free shipping.
http://www.truaqua.com/zen-nano-glas...ium-zn-3g.html

Hope that helps,
Big O
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why dose Excel if you have a CO2 set?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I find that 10g tanks are often the cheapest. Spiral CFLs are the most inexpensive lighting and they work great on 10g tanks. Small internal filters are good for these tanks. Miracle grow with play sand does well and will keep you on budget.

Easy plants are dwarf sagitarria, cryptocoryne and hygrophilas. They don't need co2.

I think you could do all that for less than 75 $s.

Tags
advice, diy, nano, planted 2.5, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode