8.5g Long Tank ADA 60F - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
8.5g Long Tank ADA 60F

I had a chance to fiddle around with a tank a couple years back. And finally with time and a bit of a budget, I've been wanting to get back to aquascaping for a while.

I love the look of a low tank, so with a bit of waiting I finally snatched one up. I'll be doing a DSM so it'll be a few months before I actually flood this thing.

→ August 21st, 2015
Picked up my ADA 60f Tank

Had a spot planned out for it already that will sit right beside my TV. (found a cheap mat at daiso for this tank and fit almost perfectly!)

→ August 21st, 2015
Loaded up the tank with ADA Amazonia Soil

...and picked up two pieces of Ryuoh Stone which I had picked up from Ackroyd Pets here in Richmond, BC. It's not much of a hardscape, but I figured I'd keep it simple. So after a bit of maneuvering and just feeling out the tank, here's what I decide to go with

→ August 23rd, 2015
Meetup with Alexgee who is also on BCAquaria.com and TPT here as well and he was super generous offering some of his plants.
Alexgee gave me a very generous amount of Hemianthus Micranthemoides, Glossostigma, and Alternanthera Reineckii.

Started planting these down, and misting at the same time. Back got tired, and my Fiancee took quite the interest and wanted to pant all of them... GO RIGHT AHEAD lucky she's smarter than me and found a stool to continue the planting....

This tank is finally sealed under seran wrap and will be lighting this with my Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED light which I picked up across the border (BTW got second brand new light if anyone is interested)

[B]→ August 24th, 2015
Gone through 1 night of DSM. I had some holes in my saran wrap covering, but I've now sealed it. Running lights for 10-12 hours.

I'll be misting 1-2 times a day...

FIRST time doing DSM - ANYTIPS?

→ August 26, 2015
Day 3 of my DSM and I noticed white fibers coming off one of the Hemianthus Micranthemoides yellowish leaves..

Can anyone confirm with me if this is Mold?

Last edited by jaekwong; 08-27-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Added details and update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 04:44 AM
Algae Grower

looks awesome what kind of plant is that

any plans for c02
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Algae Grower

nice low depth tank, not so comman i guess...

will it be something like wabi kusa?

waiting for pix

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like glossostigma elatinoides (glosso). Very nice so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderguardnano View Post
looks awesome what kind of plant is that

any plans for c02
Hemianthus Micranthemoides, Glossostigma, and Alternanthera Reineckii. And definitely with the c02 after I've flooded it in a couple months

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunawick View Post
nice low depth tank, not so comman i guess...

will it be something like wabi kusa?

waiting for pix
I guess so witht eh wabi kusa. I wanted to do an iwagumi like tank, but i don't think this setup falls under this category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
Looks like glossostigma elatinoides (glosso). Very nice so far.
Yep there's some glossos in there closer to the rock... majority is Hemianthus Micranthemoides.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Algae Grower

so much patience planting that carpet, tank looks great, i really like those dimensions.

My tank journal

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragan View Post
so much patience planting that carpet, tank looks great, i really like those dimensions.
Thanks Rragan! Yea I'm loving that dimension too. Can't believe its only 8.5 gallons.... makes it easier for water changes too.

Bump: New photos added - undergoing DSM now. Any tips?

Sealing the top cover - holes needed for gas exchange?
Light on for 12 hours? too long?
Misting 1-2 times a day?

Appreciate any tips!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 3 of my DSM and I noticed white fibers coming off one of the Hemianthus Micranthemoides yellowish leaves..

Can anyone confirm with me if this is Mold?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Planted Member

Mold = too moist or not enough light.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Interesting. I've never seen HM used as a carpet before, at least in a flat tank. It might be too tall and branchy.

And that is mold. You need more holes in the saran wrap.

Tony

My

and my

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode