30 Gallon Stocking Ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
30 Gallon Stocking Ideas

Hello Everyone,

I have had a 30 gallon plated tank running for about 4 months now which previously housed two comet goldfish. As of today, I traded in those comet goldfish (got to about 6 inches each) to my LFS for some store credit. However, I am not sure how to stock this tank correctly. Currently the tank has two albino corys, one pleco and one snail from petsmart. As far as plants go it has some jungle val and some leopard jungle val. My ideal look is just an overgrown jungle look.

Speaking of jungle val I used to have about 30 runners in my tank that would breach the surface but never grow tall. They appeared to just spread out like a quarter in size and not grow tall. Has anyone ever come across this issue or have any advice as to why this happened?

Bump: I have attached a photo of the Jungle val issue that I mentioned in my first post. I left a few runners in the tank today that grew from my original jungle val. All of the leopard jungle val I got from another forum member during the week and planted that today. The runners from the jungle val grew when I originally planted the tank a couple months back but seem to never grow taller once they emerged out of the substrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	510017  

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	510025  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Personally I would get rid of the pleco. There are a few reasons I would do this, one being they get way too big for a tank that size.

This picture does not show his size very well (he is much bigger in person than he looks in this picture). He was given to the pet store because he outgrew the aquarium he was kept in. Now he lives in a tank he can't turn around in and the store won't sell him.

As for stocking, I would get shrimp and snails for a clean up crew. I would get a big school of small fish and one or two bigger display fish.

It is about what you like and want though. I prefer aquariums with only a couple different types of fish but lots of them. You many prefer multiple types of fish in small groups. Some info on what kind of fish/stocking ideas you like would probably help others create ideas that would be appealing to you.

Good luck with your aquarium!

*I am having issues getting my jungle Val to grow tall as well, lots of runners but nothing growing past 4 inches. Everything else is growing like crazy not sure what the problem is.

Last edited by xmpjx; 08-24-2015 at 05:15 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode