My Alternative Aquarium. - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Alternative Aquarium.

Inspired from the book of the same title
"An Alternative Aquarium: A Robust Habitat" that I just finished reading.
It'a also discussed here on TPT https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...833&highlight=

I will use my 20 gal long that I recently bought. It was not really intended for this but for some dirt setup anyway. I did not have a stand, so had to make one. Good old 2X4 held together with home made ash dowels and 12 1/2in carriage bolts. A coat of iron buff to throw in some color and a coat of Dasish oil still drying. And I need to decide where to set it up. It might be my bedroom tank.

I dug out 2 full buckets of clay from the backyard. Dug almost 2 feet down. I don't fertilize the lawn. So that should be ok. There were some pretty big earthworms. Then I need to decide if I go wild hunting for soil or if I use the pond soil I bought as this is what I was supposed to use before I read the book...

Haven't decided yet on the plants and fauna. There will be a heater as it gets cold here in the winter. No filter, just a pump.
plantetra and plantetra like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The circulation pump.

The "circulation pump I will be using is a "humongous" Hydor Pico 70 centrifugal pump encased inside an empty fish food container slightly modified.
I cut off the bottom and drilled holes in it. It fits inside the container. Then the green scrubby pad will sit on top.

I cut a small opening to allow for the electric cable to go through. By unscrewing the lid I can remove the pump. Sliding open the food dispenser, the electric plug can slide out.

I wrapped a piece of geotextile around the ugly white container. Once stuff grows on it, it should become part of the environment. The pump hangs on the corner with stiff electric wire. The plactic tube will extend to the other side of the tank.

Last edited by Mariostg; 08-26-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Changed title
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice stand! Gotta love good old 2 by 4 huh? I like how you didn't make the stain even in colour.
Use the pond soil! Unless there's not enough, then of course, go hunting for soil lol. Hunting, for soil. Lol again.

PS just purchased the book. Gotta love Kindle, instant gratification. Now I have to stop forum lurking and get to reading it.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-26-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added info

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Nice stand! Gotta love good old 2 by 4 huh? I like how you didn't make the stain even in colour.
Use the pond soil! Unless there's not enough, then of course, go hunting for soil lol. Hunting, for soil. Lol again.

PS just purchased the book. Gotta love Kindle, instant gratification. Now I have to stop forum lurking and get to reading it.
LOL. Have you used pond soil before? For trial purposes, I set up my small 2.5 gal with some crypts with pond soil and sand capped. Tank is by a window. Crypts have new leave.

I may end up using the pond soil i bought. I bought 2 bags... Thing is it's loaded with clay buy I already setup with almost an inch of pure clay. It's dirty moments lol.

Yep nice reading. Go read now.

Bump: Oh yes, you said you used pond soil... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...553&highlight=

|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Mariostg; 08-26-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added url
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used it in two vases, just planted two days ago, so no post yet. It's coming. I'm planning on using it again in a bowl/vase. Hey, I bought a bag, gotta use it, yeah? Otherwise money potentially wasted. I really like the texture of it. Gritty, not too many sticks, no perlite. Just good earthy damp smell.

Daisy Mae V
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Layed out the dirt. One can see the layer of clay under the pond soil.
Pond soil is rather dry. I will let this sit for few days.

I like to see the layers so I can appreciate what is going. And this tank stand does not have a full top, just the frame supporting the plastic rim. I will be able to see the roots go through the clay.

|
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I chickened out and decided to add a layer of sand. Consequently, I have a layer of clay, a layer of pond soil and a layer of sand.

I should be planting tomorrow with the following:

Bacopa caroliniana
Egeria densa
Ludwigia repens
Blyxa japonica
Alternanthera reineckii
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Hygrophila difformis
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Echinodorus radicans(?)
Sagittaria subulata

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would not be brave enough to go "capless" especially on a big project. So I'm not surprised by your decision to cap with sand.

Daisy Mae V
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
I would not be brave enough to go "capless" especially on a big project. So I'm not surprised by your decision to cap with sand.
Thank you for sharing my "chickening out" lol. Doing my vase capless was enough I think. I may try my ten gallon when I redo it as it is just gravel. I have too many things to try for the 20 long. I bought the watering mat today. I will thinker about that instead

|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just add water. Do not stir.

Filling in the tank. The 3 layers of substrate are clearly visible.

|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am fitting My Alternative Aquarium with some pieces planters watered with watering mats as described on my Watering Mat thread

Some shots after today's reorg.

This is Pasha watching closely the watering mat making sure I don't use to much.

|
|
|
|
|
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

19 days after filling in the tank, nitrites are almost returning beck to 0 after going up pretty off chart.

All plants are doing fine, even the Blyxa japonica has survived.

More than likely it's this week end I will get some fishes. Being unheated, I am thinking White cloud mountain minnows.

|
|
|
|
|
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

20 Long as of 3 Oct 2015

Here is a view of the tank. Picture taken today.

|
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not the most colorful picture, but it shows that roots have already reached the bottom of the tank and crawl through the layer of clay.

plantetra and plantetra like this.

|
|
|
|
|
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update on wicked watered plants.

The ivy on the left has a root crawling down the wick. The root is about one inch in the water.

The wandering jews grow well and are starting to show their color. The Rumex Sanguineus, second pot, which was almost dead when I put it there is coming back

The plant on the left (name??) has a small offshoot on the left.
bt7896 and bt7896 like this.

|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode