• 2 Post By dukydaf
  • 2 Post By Nubster
  • 2 Post By Tributary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
7.5 Gallon Cube

I decided to give my soon to be six year old a fish tank for her birthday. (Okay, I'll be honest this is kind of a gift to myself as well). This is only my second high tech planted tank, so I am still a rookie and bound to make mistakes -- what little I know about planted tanks I've learned by reading this forum, talking to my awesome LFS guy, and watching YouTube tutorials. So here goes...

Tank: 12" (30cm) Deep Blue Pro rimless cube
Light: Fluval Aura High Performance (New!)
Filter: Aqueon Quietflow AT10 submersible
Substrate: EcoComplete (Black)
Decor: Seiryu Stone (19 lbs)
Flora: DHG, S. Repens, and P. Helferi (all tissue cultures from TopFin)
Fauna: 2 Dwarf/Pea Puffers; 1 Otocinclus [To be added in a few weeks]
CO2: Paintball w/ Aquatek CO2 Regulator Mini & Glass diffuser
Dosing: EI Method

Here is a full tank shot (the water was still a bit cloudy):

Here is a view of the front and right side of the tank:

And finally, just the right side:

I am running the tank at 1 bubble per second and hoping to get the tissue cultured plants acclimated for the first two weeks. Will report back soon...

Thanks for reading/viewing! Advice always welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by Tributary; 06-30-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Updated Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added Fluval Compact Heater

Added a small (25 watt) heater designed for the Fluval Edge to left of the Aqueon AT10 filter. So far it seems to be working and slowly warming the tank. It is designed to just raise the temperature to 78 F (26 C) and then shut off, that should be more than adequate for the planned flora and fauna. Since the tank is in our kitchen where the ambient temperature is usually about 72 F (22 C), I am not too worried about needing a stronger heater.

If I had space to use a canister filter, I would have gone with an inline heater, but the current option with submersible filter and heater does not look too bad.

Here is a detail of the DHG from today (Day 4)

I've begun transferring a bit of water and filter media from my 125 gallon to help begin the cycling process. Not having any luck finding a small bottle of ammonia to really start the cycle though...

Here are measurements for the tank water:

Ph: 7.6 (morning) to 6.0 (evening)
NH3 / NH4: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
GH: 11 degrees
KH: 8 degrees

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Gah! Fluval Aura light fell into my tank because the adhesive failed. Back to the drawing board...

|

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry about that, hate when things like that happen.

I love the look of the tank! But are you sure that'll be okay for 2 dwarf puffers and an Oto? There's not much "hiding" places or where they can explore. As you know puffers are aggressive and if they don't have enough space they may kill one another or the Oto.

I also have a 7.9 rimless tank I plan on getting 2 DP.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We may just do just one pea puffer, still not sure. I've read they leave Otos alone. If it does pick on the Oto, I will move the Oto to my 125 gallon community tank.

|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary View Post
We may just do just one pea puffer, still not sure. I've read they leave Otos alone. If it does pick on the Oto, I will move the Oto to my 125 gallon community tank.
Sounds great. Can't wait to see more of your journey
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ordered an Ecoxotic 12" light to replace the Fluval Aura that fell into the tank. I still haven't figured out how to get part of the Fluval light's adhesive off which is stuck to the back of the tank. I will try using a razor when I have time.

My daughter decided that she wanted more than just two pea puffers in her tank, so we ordered six P. Gertrudes and half a dozen blue neo shrimp. Unfortunately, two of the Gertrudes jumped into the afterlife a few days after settling in, so we are all a bit sad. Feeding the remaining guys is turning out to be quite a challenge. They only seem to like crushed flake food; they were curious about daphnea, but did not eat them.

In the meantime, I am tweaking the lighting and Excel to keep algae at bay.

I will post photos soon. Thanks for reading...

|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoping this photo of one of our P. Gertrudae checking out some flame moss posts....

|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fissidens Fontanus Tree

So I completely removed the Seriyu (Ying) stone after I lost the gertrudes and otos. I think the main reason the fish died was neglect of water changes.

So I am trying a new aquascape with a manzanita branch and fissidens fontanus as the center piece. I am also trying to lower the TDS from 130 to less than 100 by adding distilled water. (I've ordered a RO+DI system which will be here in a few weeks).

Here is a little closer look. The only inhabitants are three otos and several blue neo-cardinia shrimp.

I have been battling hair algae, but I think I am winning the war. Still a few strands to eliminate/remove...

doggo and doggo like this.

|
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool I like the red background and the round stones, reminds me of a riverbank around here.

7,5 G cubes are awesome to work with , biased opinion. Any plans for fauna ?
Tributary and Tributary like this.

On hiatus till later this year
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you. My daughter is happy with the three Otos and she does not want any fish that will harm her "shrimpies," so unless I screw up we won't be getting any more fauna... But I really would like a dwarf puffer.

|
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Funny. I just set up a 7.5g Mr. Aqua cube for my daughter who is turning 6 this week...lol

Cycling now. No real plans yet. It will be low tech planted and have shrimp. Likely just some nice cherries...Sakura or better. Otherwise still up in the air.
Tributary and Tributary like this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Now with even more manzanita!

I decided to triple the number of manzanita branches in the nano tank to add some more depth and complexity. It was not easy getting all these in there, but I am happy with composition (for now...). Oh and I've added two dwarf coryadoras (I'm waiting for my LFS to get a few more in stock) to keep the three Oto's company.

I have been using distilled water to lower the TDS reading to about 50 and I am using an airstone at night to circulate and aerate the water. The fish seem remarkably happy and playful. Hair algae is way down but still not completely gone. Here's one more picture of the tank...

Thanks for reading...
TaylorTurner and TaylorTurner like this.

|

Tags
cube, high tech, iwagumi, nano, seiryu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode