the Big Bowl Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
the Big Bowl Journal

Greetings fellow plant people,

After a long break from the hobby im back at it.

I've been planning a 7.5 (28L) gallon low tech bowl and i'm almost done.

i wanted to take it slow and think out everything that i'm going to do.
(and everything i absolutely dont want to do lol)

Im going to follow the non co2 method described here:
http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-tech-planted-

and here:
http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...on-co2-methods

Heres what i have so far:

Light: Dennerle 11 watt pl
Filter: Eheim 2213
Substrate: ADA Amazonia

I'm looking at the following plants:

-Sagittaria subulata
-Helianthemum tennelum (Echinodorus tenellus)
-Hygrophila pinnatifida
-Cryptocoryne lucens
-Cryptocoryne balansae
-Vallisneria spiralis or nana
Floaters:
-Azolla caroliniana
-Phyllanthus fluitan

Ferts & Maintenance

Im going to add a little NO3 and PO4 and Seachem equilibrium once every 2 weeks or so following the advice of the sites i mentioned.

I am a bit worried about a high GH from using the eq without doing waterchanges, even though i would only add 1/8'' teaspoon..i admit i have never used this stuff and maybe i should do some more research but the research has to end somewhere so the fun can begin right?

I think i want to try something like root tabs in the substrate for the crypts and swords but i'm a litttle blown away by all the different kinds and brands.

Plan B

My hope is that the plants will eventually fill the bowl nicely, jungle style.

If this does not work out i'm going for plan b, wood hardscape with lots of trident java ferns and moss.

What do you think about the plans?

Here's a picture of the bowl and the "plan b" hardscape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150821-WA0019.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	509330  

Last edited by Jonas; 08-22-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Picture did not show up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

Sounds and looks alright! More photos please
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There's not much to see as of now.

Just ordered the plants should be here in about 2 days

1x Cryptocoryne lucens
1x Echinodorus tenellus
1x Sagittaria subulata
1x Hygrophila pinnatifida
1x Echinodorus latifolius
2x Limnobium laevigatum
1x Elodea densa
1x Heteranthera zosterifolia

I only know the common names in my own language so i'll stick to the scientific names

The Elodea and Heteranthera will be phased out and are only there for fast growth in the beginnning, along with the limnobium floaters. <--but they will stay.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Planted the bowl today

Whilst doing do i discovered that i only have about 1 inch of amazonia in the middle. Is this a problem? Do i absolutely need more or will this be okay..? I'd hate to take the plants out, go to the shop spend money on more Amazonia, and replant everything.

I will do this only if this is really neccasary.

One pic to keep you happy
As you can see i followed the good ol' advice to plant heavy from the start
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8273278.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	511698  

Last edited by Jonas; 08-27-2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's really nice looking!
About the Amazonia, I personally would leave it. If the plants are staying anchored there's no need to disturb.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
That's really nice looking!
About the Amazonia, I personally would leave it. If the plants are staying anchored there's no need to disturb.
Thank you, i hope the plants take off this time, in my previous nonCO2 tank nothing wanted to grow, but that was in plain sand with nothing added to the water column.

The plant are (just) staying anchored, i guess they could develop roots sideways right..
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Lovely tank! Lucky you having access to such a large bowl!! Around here I can only find 2-3g (7-11 liters) bowls :c
What fauna do you plan on?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Lovely tank! Lucky you having access to such a large bowl!! Around here I can only find 2-3g (7-11 liters) bowls :c
What fauna do you plan on?
Thank you Aquaaurora, i've never ever seen a big bowl like this where i live but i finally found one online I had to wait for it a while because the first one they send me actualy broke during delivery but i really wanted a big bowl if was going to try one so i did not mind waiting.

I'm not quite shure about the fauna yet, i've always wanted deep red shrimps so maybe some bloody mary neos are a good choice but theres so many cool variaties to choose from this day. One thing im sure about is Amano shrimp i would never do a tank without those.
I'm not sure if i want to keep fish with the neo's or keep it shrimp only, if i decide on fish its going to be something very small like Boraras maculatus.

PS
I really like your "Grass Fields bowl" and your 7g cube !
Wich of the three "grasses" is the tallest in the bowl?

Narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
Micro sword (Lilaeopsis mauritiana)
Mini micro sword (Lilaeopsis nova "mini")

Last edited by Jonas; 08-29-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

What do you plan on doing ref the substrate depth? I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
What do you plan on doing ref the substrate depth? I'm crossing my fingers for you.
Today i took all the plants out, added more substrate and replanted everything, it was a pain to re-plant everything in the murky water but its done, hope its all clear by tommorow!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Thank you Aquaaurora, i've never ever seen a big bowl like this where i live but i finally found one online I had to wait for it a while because the first one they send me actualy broke during delivery but i really wanted a big bowl if was going to try one so i did not mind waiting.

I'm not quite shure about the fauna yet, i've always wanted deep red shrimps so maybe some bloody mary neos are a good choice but theres so many cool variaties to choose from this day. One thing im sure about is Amano shrimp i would never do a tank without those.
I'm not sure if i want to keep fish with the neo's or keep it shrimp only, if i decide on fish its going to be something very small like Boraras maculatus.

PS
I really like your "Grass Fields bowl" and your 7g cube !
Wich of the three "grasses" is the tallest in the bowl?

Narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
Micro sword (Lilaeopsis mauritiana)
Mini micro sword (Lilaeopsis nova "mini")
The dwarf rasboras is a very bright cool fish would be a great color pop in your tank. I wish I could keep them but my water is too alkaline. I don't want to mess with DI/RO, so I only keep what can tolerate my water.

Thank you!
Narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus) is the tallest. I love it as a plant, once it settles in it takes off sending out runners (babies) like crazy! Its completely hid the microsword in the center as the runners wrapped around and around the outer part of the bowl.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
The dwarf rasboras is a very bright cool fish would be a great color pop in your tank. I wish I could keep them but my water is too alkaline. I don't want to mess with DI/RO, so I only keep what can tolerate my water.

Thank you!
Narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus) is the tallest. I love it as a plant, once it settles in it takes off sending out runners (babies) like crazy! Its completely hid the microsword in the center as the runners wrapped around and around the outer part of the bowl.
The tenellus in the bowl is already sending of little runners. Dwarf sag does nothing as of yet, but i would not even expect to see new growth so fast so i'm surprised by the tennelus.

Question to everybody reading:

Would you run this little tank with or without a reflector on the 11 watt light?
I now have the reflector completely covered with black material.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
The tenellus in the bowl is already sending of little runners. Dwarf sag does nothing as of yet, but i would not even expect to see new growth so fast so i'm surprised by the tennelus.

Question to everybody reading:

Would you run this little tank with or without a reflector on the 11 watt light?
I now have the reflector completely covered with black material.
With since its medium light plants. I use 13 watt with reflector and cfl bulb pointing down (stronger par than sideways cfl bulb) on my bubble bowl.

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
With since its medium light plants. I use 13 watt with reflector and cfl bulb pointing down (stronger par than sideways cfl bulb) on my bubble bowl.
Would it be possible to keep the reflector covered and maybe eventually go to 9 - 10 hours of light-on time instead of 8 hours with reflector?

Or is that not comparable?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, that's a really big bowl! Where did you even find that?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode